Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmm lets see. 15 weight belts, several masks, fins, snokels, lower unit from a inboard boat, several props, 5 out board hood cowls, video camera in a camera bag, panites , bras, several sets of keys, some questionable adult toys and movies, a duffle bag of playboy mags. 1988 mustang 5 litre .. got the rims off it .skiff anchors, and the best one to date a 16 foot fiberglass skiff complete with 25 horsepower evinrude outboard. i tried to pull it over but i think it was flooded. salvaged that skiff and repaired it purchashed a 25 horse yamaha outbaord and still have it to this day. that was 7 years ago.

I am new to this Board and want to say "Hi to all!"

Things that I have found over the years include:

Some old River Boat Anchors
198 rifle bullets (never fired)
Lots of old bottles (mostly soda)
Gold ring
A bag full of old coins
Old pocket watch
I also gather some sinkers and lures when my tackle box gets low

Revolutionary War Era Anchor (Lake Champlain)
1940's era Anchor from U-Boat Downed Vessel (Atlantic Ocean - Virginia Beach)
WW I era bullet casing, oxidized in a piece of wood from the crate it was carrying (The Schursz(sp), Atlantic Ocean, near NC)
Dive Knife (Catalina Island)
Cheesy & cheap Mask / Snorkel (Lake Powell, AZ)
Bottles, and more bottles (Everywhere)
Old Crewman's boots, although couldn't remove, Lake Michigan Law (The Milwaukee Car Ferry).
.............more to come, stay tuned..............

dive lite
lobster measurer
coconut, with roots growing out of it
apples, with stem growing about 10" long
trash
someone found my lost camera washed ashore

I will admit I was a little nervous, and excited, about my first shore dive - but when the foreman of a fishing pier asked if my buddy and I could do some recovery work, my enthusiasm really took off. We recovered six ~12-foot sections of scaffolding walkways by scouring the bottom for them, then tying them up for the pier workers to hoist up. Watching them go up (from a safer distance) was a bit of an awesome, yet emphemeral, experience that I'd like to repeat.

That earned us enough cash to fill our tanks and get some brewskies. eyebrow

I just knew I'd love goal-oriented diving (like, "go find stuff!"), and I got paid on my first try. Not a bad start, eh?

We've found plenty of stuff due to the hurricane(s), thus the junk isn't worth mentioning here. But I did get a neat chisel hammer off of the bottom a while back. On that same dive my buddies loaded my side-pocket down with over eight pounds of lead fishing weights they had found around a pier. Talk about an awkward trim angle - my right fin kept sinking to the bottom, and kicking back with all that weight was a killer workout, lol. ... maybe my 'friends' were trying to tell me something? (I know how much they all want to inherit my old-school mask.)

Then, yesterday off of Pompano beach, I used my shears, then my Dive Rite lift bag / safety sausage to get this: http://www.countryvue.com/Pictures/anchor.jpg to the surface from about 45 feet (the second reef). That was a comical find... once I got it to my dive buddies to see, we all started laughing (again, at 45 feet). Someone might even have a picture of me with it down there. OK, OK, not a treasure, but it is certainly a 'disposable' that I will use without regret if I, too, have to cut it off at some later date. :14:

Best,

Mambo Dave

caymaniac:
in bad viz, a uppertorso of a mannequin (a heart stopper) I found my wifes watch in zero viz @ 15 ft. Twice I helped release perch off lines that had caught in the rocks and broke away from the pole, both times close to 30 perch were released. Several ice cold Bud Lights Lots and lots of anchors....I've sold them to pay for air and at 20 to 30 ea. that's allot of air.dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Sweeeeeeeeet

Wristshot:
The most significant Items I have found so far were
1) My buddy's compass in Florida
2) My buddy's weight pouch with 10lbs in it in C-53 wreck in Cozumel.
3) My buddy's compass in C-53 wreck in Cozumel (same dive).

He didn't realize that he had lost any of the items at the time. He did notice that he seemed a bit more bouyant after losing 10 lb weight pouch, but wasn't sure why.

Wristshot

You sure he didn't find a bottle of cognac and a twelve pack of bud light also?

Back
Top Bottom