Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found a wife.
proposal_zpsw5hn7etd.jpg

Working the Seattle Seafair dive team opened many opportunities to recover stuff on the bottom of Lake Washington. Drunks would be dropping all kinds of stuff over the side for us to find. We were good about returning what we could to the owners.
After the 1992 Miss Budweiser crash at SeaFair in Seattle, my cousin Alan Buchanan, started the research to find the missing prop. The engine was recovered quickly, but the cause of the accident was thought to be from the prop detatching at some point prior to the crash. Anyway, I got my C-card in the spring of 1993 and started diving with Alan that following summer. After SeaFair 1994, Alan called and asked if I wanted to scavange some Miss Budwieser parts off the bottom of Lake Washington. He wanted to get some of the valuable actuators that were still attached to the wing and tail fins. I just wanted a chunk of Miss Budweiser, which we found some really nice stuff, including about a 6' chunk of the starboard sponson beautifully sporting the Budweiser logo still. We had a nice pile of spoils at the bottom of our line but had some remaining bottom time so we decided to check out the last wedge of our search grid and lo and behold we found the missing prop and a sheared off chunk of the shaft lying in the mud. At first it looked like a beer can until we got closer and Alan saw the shaft. Talk about finding a unicorn. We were so excited about the prop we forgot the fiberglass pieces on the bottom. Alan ended up selling the prop to one of the other boat teams after Miss Budweiser threatened to sue him for it. I can't remember but I think Miss Tide ended up with the gem.
That is the object I am holding in the avatar picture. Good times.

I stand corrected, the fuel tank from an F86 Fighter jet though awesome as it was wasn't the scariest. Just yesterday while certifying a new open water student in our local quarry, I came across 2 sausage charges that were originally used to blast the rock from the quarry. Can you say PUCKER FACTOR was at 100 %. Thankfully they had to have an electrical charge to detonate.

Attachments

• 13254679_973532912762319_27986809591372507_o.jpg
    13254679_973532912762319_27986809591372507_o.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 536089_255905897858361_1845736240_n (1).jpg
    536089_255905897858361_1845736240_n (1).jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 158
Some of the things I've found are:

A complete rod and reel with the hook still attached to one of the eyes
A white, plastic Go-Go boot
Sunglasses
Several boat anchors
Enough fishing weights for four weight belts (not all at once, of course)
A wheel from a small cart
Lots of trash (which is why I usually dive with a Goodie Bag)
An abalone iron/knife gadget

I was diving in FL, at Blue Heron Bridge, and picked up one lens of a mask off the bottom.
I recall thinking as I looked at that glass, with the clear brand name sticker still on the lens, "I bet someone's mask leaks worse than mine.."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom