Things you learn from DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm:
How about dving with a 7' snorkel?
You know...with the right amount of PVC and some fittings, I bet we could make a 700' snorkel.

MikeFerrara:
snorkels (more correctly refered to as head bangers or CO2 collectors) aren't any good underwater. LOL

Is that why mine always breathes wet? :wink: lol

Seriously though, I like to have one around for contingencies on the surface.

But I'd love to find a better alternative to having it attached to my mask where it a: dangles and flops around and b: gets in the way of my lp inflator. I have yet to find one that is easy to stow away and at the same time easy to bring in to play if I want it.

There are areas that I dive that are great for snorkeling and diving. I find it very relaxing and enjoyable to snorkel around for a bit until I find something interesting to dive on. Needless to say these are very shallow dives (30' max). If I feel that I'm going to be down for a bit when I get to the bottom I simply detach the snorkel from its clip and tuck it inside my BC.
The way I'm able to do this is that I modified the snorkel clip. The clip is one of the swivel type. I separated the two parts and opened up the part that attaches directly to the snorkel making it much easier to attach/detach from the strap clip.

Has anyone thought of making a snorkel clip like some of the cell phone belt clips? I'm referring to the kind that are 2 parts. The male end or pin would clip to the mask and the female end would clip to the snorkel itself or vice versa. The male portion has a small button that you depress to release the clip This would allow for a quick attachment/release of the snorkel and stowing. A clip like this would allow the snorkel to swivel somewhat so it might not end up being such a problem. A small counterweight on the bottom of the snorkel would keep the snorkels positive bouyancy in check.

Seems that all the long hose craze is from the DIR camp. I was undrer the impression that you guys like everyone to rig up the same, so why don't you at least do that for your students. Not all divers are doing penatration dives so single file diving is not always a concern...especially in an OW class. I'm by no means dogging the long hose concept, I just think if you (your certifing agency..ie. PADI, NAUI) insists your students where snorkles then you should also.

I don't really see what this thread has to do with "what you learn as a divemaster" but that's beside the point now.

Again, not dogging the long hose, just don't see a need for it myself (in an open water training dive).

JC Fedorczyk:
Has anyone thought of making a snorkel clip like some of the cell phone belt clips? I'm referring to the kind that are 2 parts. The male end or pin would clip to the mask and the female end would clip to the snorkel itself or vice versa. The male portion has a small button that you depress to release the clip This would allow for a quick attachment/release of the snorkel and stowing. A clip like this would allow the snorkel to swivel somewhat so it might not end up being such a problem. A small counterweight on the bottom of the snorkel would keep the snorkels positive bouyancy in check.
When i first did my confined water stuff, i bought a flexible tube snorkel with a male/female (female on the mask strap that snaps around the male part on the snorkel when inserted) attachment from the Tusa line for about $20. Again it will come in useful for snorkeling one day, but back then we were told we needed them - but havent used them since certification. The Tusa one is flexible enough you can roll it up to about the size of an 8-oz glass to put in your pocket if you needed too.

JC Fedorczyk:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=570598&postcount=18

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom