Things you are (almost but not really) ashamed of doing while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hell is paved with good intent. I value a lot of comments here. From Ginti, Blackcrusader, Boulderjohn, Edward 3c to name a few. Some and specifically personal attacks, I despise. Unfortunately, not all comments have value or are meant to do good.
You value the comments that tell you what you want to hear, the ones you despise are the ones you need to hear but haven't realised it yet.

Pretty much exactly - In our local training lake (15m max) I think I can get something like a 2.5 hour dive out of my sidemount rig, or closer to 2h in slightly deeper water - so I normally do a loooong morning dive, refill, looong afternoon dive rather than chasing numbers. infinitely more fun than a quick 20 min drop to 40m.
Those numbers seem about right. I don't know my precise SAC, but skimming my dive-log, it looks like my 25-40ft (max-depth) dives are often around 60-80 minutes, and sometimes with air left over. I'm new enough to side-mount, I haven't attempted a super-long dive yet.

Those numbers seem about right. I don't know my precise SAC, but skimming my dive-log, it looks like my 25-40ft (max-depth) dives are often around 60-80 minutes, and sometimes with air left over. I'm new enough to side-mount, I haven't attempted a super-long dive yet.

Yeah it depends on energy usage quite a lot as well - at the beginning I was moving a lot more in the water, and using lots of gas adjusting drysuit/wing trying to get into the right positions - now if I go for a long lake dive it's like a form of intense meditation. Barely any body movement, 1 frog kick every once in a while, glide reeeeeeally slowly without moving arms or legs, and watch the fish as I slowly glide past. Heaven on earth if one is looking for a relaxing summer afternoon.

Cave diving requires a bit more air usage as you need to actually move through the Cave, so I normally do 2 sidemounts and a stage, breathe just the stage and that gives me like 60-70 mins :)

You value the comments that tell you what you want to hear, the ones you despise are the ones you need to hear but haven't realised it yet.
Not at all. When Blackcrusader writes that my DM cert does not mean much because of x, y, z, I listen. When people say you are gonna die, or other groundless stupid things erecting themselves as diving gods who never make or made an error, they can go to hell. When they add the outrage to the insult, well…

Many years ago I was seated next to a guy completely and utterly obsessed with seeing 100 feet displayed on his new dive computer. The computer had a quick disconnect allowing him to endlessly fidget and fiddle with his new electronic toy. He was mesmerized. When I was climbing up the ladder after the first dive he already had his computer in hand proudly walking around the cattle boat. As we were gearing up for the second dive he started yowling that his computer display was acting erratically. I was unable to contain my laughter.

This is the best thread ever to be on SB.

I'm still composing my answer. I'm on my third draft. :)

The things experience has taught me... I was lucky on some of my early exploits. Luck runs out; when it does, you need to fall back to planning and training, not to mention redundant kit. The more you push your luck, the less luck you have.

Also learned that 40m/130' is much nicer when you can spend well over an hour on the bottom and another hour of decompression -- chill-out time. Same with 50m, 60m, etc. Especially in the full knowledge that you've done the planning and have the right gas, all the backup kit and knowledge you need.

Of course the more I practice the luckier I get.

I'd leave it for a few mins before you go in there...

Aristos bog.jpg

Interesting. Would the darkness change your opinion?

I'm curious, because you're a contributor who has taught me a lot and whose opinion I respect and want to understand.
I think it's a regional custom.

Similarly, I have seen posts from people talking about dive boats requiring pony bottles and everyone they knew using pony bottles, etc. They write as if everyone uses pony bottles. I have never been on a boat requiring pony bottles, and I have rarely seen them being used. (I have done it myself on occasion, but in ways different from most people which I choose not to explain.) I would guess that regions where pony bottles are common are regions were safety bottles are hung for AOW dives.

On both the AOW deep dive and the Deep Dive specialty, I believe the most important aspect of the training is understanding how much faster you go through air at deeper depths. Consequently, training in that before the dive and careful monitoring of gas levels during the dive are critically important. If an AOW student of mine starts to run remotely low on air during the dive, both the student and I will know it. The student knows before the dive at what PSI he or she should be ascending to be safe, and that is when we ascend. One of the Deep Diver specialty dives requires an alternate air source, and I do have students hang a bottle and use it on that dive.

i love diving around 28-32m range as ive noticed my Tinnitus for some reason is very quiet and it feels so peaceful

Maybe it's the peacefulness of the depth. That would make sense. I flew airplanes for years and enjoyed it, but I love diving so much more - in part because it's so quiet.

Maybe it's the peacefulness of the depth. That would make sense. I flew airplanes for years and enjoyed it, but I love diving so much more - in part because it's so quiet.
If you like quiet, wait until you try a rebreather! The fish aren't bothered as you move amongst them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom