Things you are (almost but not really) ashamed of doing while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve no idea why you would hang a tank at 5M. If there’s planned deco you need to carry enough gas. If no deco you’re returning to the surface. If low on air you should have a buddy or redundancy. Is it to impress the rookies, if so it’s very misleading.

@Dody, the attraction for depth is quite normal at the beginning of your dive career. At a certain point, you'll realise that it is just useless to go deep for the sake of it. For me, it was when I did my fundamentals (roughly 80dives if I remember well).

Now, I find the depth brings less bottom time, higher costs and so on. However, sometimes you need to go deep to see cool stuff, and you need the right skills: this is why I go deep relatively often, to keep my skills at the right level when I need them. And I like the technical challenges, but only with the right (tec) buddies.

Anyway, going back to your post, the way you do it is simply dangerous. Even if your buddies see you, 10m vertical distance with the gas you're using is merely wrong: if you have a problem, your buddies would have to descend, without a plan, increasing their narcosis dramatically***, to solve your issue. No matter what you think, this situation can happen, and it seems a good receipt to have a bad outcome.

Do you want to go deep? Fair enough, but do it with a proper plan and your buddies if you aren't solo-trained (or equivalent/higher).

*** why dramatically? Because a problem to solve brings stress, and probably also workload - which means increased breath's volume and higher levels of CO2, which is EXTREMELY narcotic. Add that you are at depths.

Not at all. The theory says it affects everyone but not the same. I take for granted that it does affect me. But I am still able to mentally make double digits multiplications.

It doesn't mean anything. I am able to make double digits multiplication even when I am drunk, but this does not mean that I can conduct a car safely.

Something similar applies to narcosis. The best way I know to verify how much the narcosis affect you is to make a dive to 40m with air in certain conditions, and then replicate the same dive, with the same conditions, with trimix. And this approach still does not guarantee anything (it's just the best I know, but it's far from being perfect because narcosis can act differently for the same person, even under the same conditions).

Don't get me wrong, I happen to love diving deep. I don't know what the lure is, but I love it! .

i love diving around 28-32m range as ive noticed my Tinnitus for some reason is very quiet and it feels so peaceful

I remember some years ago going on holiday to Croatia - I absolutely loved the fact that the boat I was on were happy to take OW divers on pretty deep dives (30-40m) because 'You guys have done checkout dives and you all dive really well, so we can take you to see these amazing corals that only appear from 35m on' or something to that effect. 40m sounded AWESOME in my head, loved having it written in my divelog, and so on....

A year later when I started Tech training I mentioned to my instructor that I had done some 40m dives previously, but only as an OW diver, and he looked at me and said 'In Croatia? yeah those guys are running an amazing scam - they tell OW divers that they're 'awesome divers' and they 'aced their checkouts' then take them on these 'huuge' 40m dives so they burn through all their air in like 20 mins, a 2 tank boat dive takes like 2 hours total (2x 20 min dives, 1h surface interval, + travel time) and they can organise 3 'half day 2 tank trips' each day...'

Kinda spoilt the fun I'd had, but to be honest now after 2 years of tech + cave there's no way I'd go anywhere near that deep on a single tank again anyway...

I remember some years ago going on holiday to Croatia - I absolutely loved the fact that the boat I was on were happy to take OW divers on pretty deep dives (30-40m) because 'You guys have done checkout dives and you all dive really well, so we can take you to see these amazing corals that only appear from 35m on' or something to that effect. 40m sounded AWESOME in my head, loved having it written in my divelog, and so on....

A year later when I started Tech training I mentioned to my instructor that I had done some 40m dives previously, but only as an OW diver, and he looked at me and said 'In Croatia? yeah those guys are running an amazing scam - they tell OW divers that they're 'awesome divers' and they 'aced their checkouts' then take them on these 'huuge' 40m dives so they burn through all their air in like 20 mins, a 2 tank boat dive takes like 2 hours total (2x 20 min dives, 1h surface interval, + travel time) and they can organise 3 'half day 2 tank trips' each day...'

Kinda spoilt the fun I'd had, but to be honest now after 2 years of tech + cave there's no way I'd go anywhere near that deep on a single tank again anyway...
Pretty much this. The main thing deep-diving does is cut your dive-time shorter & often colder. Bragging rights? Nobody looks at your logbook or cares. I've been 130ft deep, am confident at those depths, so I guess I have that checkbox marked off. But I have no real desire to do those dives, unless there's something really cool at that depth. My average dive is probably 60ft, but I'd take a 15ft dive any day if the attractions are about equal.

I've been getting into sidemount lately, and been doing practice dives at around 15ft. Air consumption is amazing, I have all the time in the world, I've gotten several days of dives off 2 tanks, and can skip the wetsuit. Sure I could do some extreme dives on two tanks, but meh, who cares .... at least I don't care.

Pretty much this. The main thing deep-diving does is cut your dive-time shorter & often colder. Bragging rights? Nobody looks at your logbook or cares. I've been 130ft deep, am confident at those depths, so I guess I have that checkbox marked off. But I have no real desire to do those dives, unless there's something really cool at that depth. My average dive is probably 60ft, but I'd take a 15ft dive any day if the attractions are about equal.

I've been getting into sidemount lately, and been doing practice dives at around 15ft. Air consumption is amazing, I have all the time in the world, I've gotten several days of dives off 2 tanks, and can skip the wetsuit. Sure I could do some extreme dives on two tanks, but meh, who cares .... at least I don't care.

Pretty much exactly - In our local training lake (15m max) I think I can get something like a 2.5 hour dive out of my sidemount rig, or closer to 2h in slightly deeper water - so I normally do a loooong morning dive, refill, looong afternoon dive rather than chasing numbers. infinitely more fun than a quick 20 min drop to 40m.

On the similar theme but looking a bit more broadly, I used to have different criteria I would try and hit each dive. Like some of you there was a time that criteria was depth (100’ for example or 150’ or …) at other times it was temperature (had to hit the 40s F), duration, air consumption, etc, etc. What that does is turn a pleasure dive into a mission dive. It can both be dangerous and it can also rob you of the sheer pleasure of being underwater.

I now try my best to throw that nonsense out the window. My focus is making each dive safe and enjoyable. I obey the limits for that particular dive (MOD, boat rules, site rules, local laws, etc) and just focus on enjoying the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom