Things you are (almost but not really) ashamed of doing while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hundreds of hours, and you are spotlighting Richard Pyle in your summary? Pyle is an extremely nice man, but his only work on the subject was quite a while ago, and he is never cited as an expert on the theory.

Here are two articles that you evidently did not encounter in those hundreds of hours. They may interest you.
Evolving Thought on Deep Decompression Stops
Gradient Factors in a Post-Deep Stops World
I I have noticed that some people love to throwout terms or names when they really have little idea about the concepts behind them.

I I have noticed that some people love to throwout terms or names when they really have little idea about the concepts behind them.
If he has spent hundreds of hours on this topic, he should by now be one of the world's foremost experts. I read all that I know of that was available, much of it suggested by Dr. Simon Mitchell, and I didn't spend hundreds of hours. I even carefully read every email I got on the topic from Ross Hemingway, including the ones in which he was calling me an idiot.

Why don’t you try to get to know me before jumping to conclusions? Beyond the dives that I post (and I only posted a couple of eventful dives), there are other things and almost 100 eventless dives, hundreds of hours studying Dr Pyle and deep stop theory, DCS fundamentals even if the science is in its infancy,… I make and will make mistakes but diving every week, I have never put myself in a life threatening situation. Did not do a wreck or cave (not cavern) diving. Did not dive below 40 m with a single tank (which many do). I was wrong trying to be as light as possible just for the sake of it. I was wrong not to be thorough in dive briefings. I used to drive racing cars at over 300 kps on ring tracks before I decided that I did not have the physical condition any more. The « what if » approach is as natural as breathing for me but sensitivity is different. And we knew the risks. Don’t assume that I don’t know the risks associated with diving just because we do not share the same.
That is really fast!

Ah, Pyle stops. There’s a blast from the past. Self confessed fish nerd discovers that when he stopped to stab a captured fish, he felt better.

Following on from goodness knows how much discussion, Pyle stops are largely discredited these days, or out of favour at least.

upload_2021-7-19_12-11-29.png

Hundreds of hours, and you are spotlighting Richard Pyle in your summary? Pyle is an extremely nice man, but his only work on the subject was quite a while ago, and he is never cited as an expert on the theory.

Here are two articles that you evidently did not encounter in those hundreds of hours. They may interest you.
Evolving Thought on Deep Decompression Stops
Gradient Factors in a Post-Deep Stops World
I did read them :)

Ah, Pyle stops. There’s a blast from the past. Self confessed fish nerd discovers that when he stopped to stab a captured fish, he felt better.

Following on from goodness knows how much discussion, Pyle stops are largely discredited these days, or out of favour at least.
He was the pioneer. And really the science is still in its infancy.

@chillyinCanada I know calling someone a troll is not allowed in TOS. But can we very respectively :wink: suggest that someone is trolling and ask others not to feed it?

@chillyinCanada I know calling someone a troll is not allowed in TOS. But can we very respectively :wink: suggest that someone is trolling and ask others not to feed it?
Are you talking about yourself? Pitiful. I told you. I am bully proof.

We had arguments about this when I was on staff. The word "troll" has a specific definition in terms of the Internet, and under that definition, trolling itself is both intentional and a ToS violation. I argued that honestly calling out intentional trolling behavior should be allowed and should be no more of a violation than calling chillyinCanada a Canadian.

The response usually was that you can call out the behavior without calling someone a name. The example would be that it is OK to say that a statement someone made was idiotic, but it is not OK to say that person is an idiot. I get that. There is a difference. Anyone can make a statement that, in hindsight, turned out to be idiotic. I have some instances in my biography. That does not make that person an idiot. No one participating in these forums is an idiot, and no one intends to make idiotic statements. When it comes to trolling, though, trolling behavior is intentional; the person is intentionally being a troll.

Look up the many sock puppets under which the oft-banned IdocStave has abused ScubaBoard for an example of an out and out troll.

I, for one, do not believe Dody is a troll. Not at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom