Things you are (almost but not really) ashamed of doing while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We’ll see how it goes. I fully expect to be here at the end of this week.

BTW have been double vaccinated for months. Still didn’t stop me from catching it from the (double vaccinated) wife.

Also, the chances of seeing a doctor in the flesh is about zero. Would rather leave them to deal with the backlog of people who really need their help.
This thread is at risk of catching the covid-virus.

I've come to the same conclusion. Either a troll who enjoys getting reactions, or just a dangerous accident waiting to happen. Either way, not worth any more time spent.

I do not believe Dody is a troll. From the time he joined and started posting it was obvious Dody is enthusiastic about diving. I also believe Dody wanted to get a lot of training and certifications done. I think he rushed that part rather then doing different types of diving to build up his experience. Yes he made some errors especially being underweighted which I attribute to the "I want to use less weights than others " rather than using what is necessary. He got caught out on that.

I think Dody's wants to compete on his sac rate as well and it's not a competition.

Has his DM training been of any value? I've been diving 36 years and was told by a good friend who runs a dive shop if I wanted to do a thorough DM course to allow 2 months. No short cuts and I would also do courses for servicing regulators, learn the knots needed for the ropes used, learn some of the boating skills and other things. Assisting instructors with students as well as leading dives. I know the dive sites as have been diving at these sites for over 8 years. Dody did not really have that with his DM course. I've met many people who did the quick DM courses from Thailand and some of them you would not let lead a dive.

So Dody posts in a language he is not native in. Maybe his writing could be better. His intent on becoming a better diver is there to be seen. We all make bloopers and he has to make them so he can learn from them. I believe Dody needs to start doing night dives as that is a different experience he needs. After all how can someone be a DM and not lead a night dive or have no night diving experience. For me DM's should have experiences with fast currents, down currents and up currents, done dives where they do not do just the normal easy dives.

Give him time. He has been diving I think since last November 2020.

Nobody called me a troll with my dive trim post.
THE "PERFECT ( being horizontal ) TRIM" HOAX

It is against the terms of service to call anyone a troll. Therefore, anyone who has done so should not be surprised to find at some point in time, that their post has been edited or deleted entirely.

What is double vaccinated? Do you mean two doses or do you mean two types of vaccine two doses each?

What vaccine(s) did you take?

I'm only aware of one vaccine that requires a single dose. All others require two doses administered 3 to 12 weeks apart. Their first dose confers some protection; the second dose confers full protection two weeks after the jab.

The UK's strategy was to defer the second dose for 12 weeks to increase the number of people with some protection. They focussed on old and vulnerable people such that just about everyone over the age of 50 has been "double" vaccinated. This has made a dramatic affect upon the hospitalisations and deaths of old people and those with co-morbidities (fat, diabetes, blood pressure, etc.)

I had Pfizer, wife had AstraZenica, both completed months ago. Both of us have now had covid but it was just a cold and a bit flu-like, lasting a few days.

It seems that the UK has the Delta variant running rife around the country. My experience was that the worst part was watching daytime TV. I'm going to assume this 'mild' infection was down to the vaccines which attenuate the affects but don't stop you from coming down with it.

Thus I'm being neither brave nor 'ashamed' of going diving tomorrow. I have booked on a simple 45m/150' dive (on a 1900 passenger steamer wreck that's upright and very intact with holds containing lots of goodies -- and on a German submarine at 30m/100' for the second tide in the afternoon)

I do not believe Dody is a troll. From the time he joined and started posting it was obvious Dody is enthusiastic about diving. I also believe Dody wanted to get a lot of training and certifications done. I think he rushed that part rather then doing different types of diving to build up his experience. Yes he made some errors especially being underweighted which I attribute to the "I want to use less weights than others " rather than using what is necessary. He got caught out on that.

I think Dody's wants to compete on his sac rate as well and it's not a competition.

Has his DM training been of any value? I've been diving 36 years and was told by a good friend who runs a dive shop if I wanted to do a thorough DM course to allow 2 months. No short cuts and I would also do courses for servicing regulators, learn the knots needed for the ropes used, learn some of the boating skills and other things. Assisting instructors with students as well as leading dives. I know the dive sites as have been diving at these sites for over 8 years. Dody did not really have that with his DM course. I've met many people who did the quick DM courses from Thailand and some of them you would not let lead a dive.

So Dody posts in a language he is not native in. Maybe his writing could be better. His intent on becoming a better diver is there to be seen. We all make bloopers and he has to make them so he can learn from them. I believe Dody needs to start doing night dives as that is a different experience he needs. After all how can someone be a DM and not lead a night dive or have no night diving experience. For me DM's should have experiences with fast currents, down currents and up currents, done dives where they do not do just the normal easy dives.

Give him time. He has been diving I think since last November 2020.

Nobody called me a troll with my dive trim post.
THE "PERFECT ( being horizontal ) TRIM" HOAX

Good analysis.

For @Dody, a lesson I'd tell my former self is that diving is subtle. Whilst it appears to be really easy -- the proverbial swan gracefully gliding across the water -- diving requires that knowledge and experience to be able to risk assess, continuously monitor and handle problems.

The reason why diving's constrained to certain depths is that when problems hit, they're far more challenging at depth where skills and redundancy really counts. Therefore diving skills are gradually acquired and progressively build up to.

It is good that you've shared your stories with us and I hope you've learned from some of the responses. It helps all of us to become better and safer divers.

Dody reminds me of another poster, now banned, who liked to post about his dives, which were rather extreme and didn’t exactly promote safe diving habits. He might have been referenced earlier in the thread.

I find this very confusing. You were quite upset on a recent dive because of an overhead but going to 40m on the regular doesn't bother you at all. Smh
I don't understand the sentiment. Why would diving within recreational depth limits bother anyone?

Dody reminds me of another poster, now banned, who liked to post about his dives, which were rather extreme and didn’t exactly promote safe diving habits. He might have been referenced earlier in the thread.
Why don’t you try to get to know me before jumping to conclusions? Beyond the dives that I post (and I only posted a couple of eventful dives), there are other things and almost 100 eventless dives, hundreds of hours studying Dr Pyle and deep stop theory, DCS fundamentals even if the science is in its infancy,… I make and will make mistakes but diving every week, I have never put myself in a life threatening situation. Did not do a wreck or cave (not cavern) diving. Did not dive below 40 m with a single tank (which many do). I was wrong trying to be as light as possible just for the sake of it. I was wrong not to be thorough in dive briefings. I used to drive racing cars at over 300 kps on ring tracks before I decided that I did not have the physical condition any more. The « what if » approach is as natural as breathing for me but sensitivity is different. And we knew the risks. Don’t assume that I don’t know the risks associated with diving just because we do not share the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom