Things they don't teach in SCUBA school

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Shore Entry and Exit - It is exiting that is difficult with the wave knocking you down repeatedly. "

Don't even try to stand up.

Just swim u/w and ride the surges until you can crawl out on your hands and knees, fins on. Each wave will assist you forward, and the backwash can drain out under you between waves.

All your gear remains in place, ready to use, not subject to loss, and keeping your hands free. Much safer.

Works on rocky shores too.
Perhaps good advice in some cases. I know reg obviously stays in mouth, but I would be concerned about sand on the bottom or in the surf entering the octo. Perhaps fins off and walk out as first option (if possible). I'm no expert.

They do not teach you or emphasize the importance of knowing how to "DISCONNECT YOUR LP HOSE" in the event of a malfunctioning or stuck inflation valve.

This could happen to anyone at anytime and could result in death or serious injury.

Practice this on your own and be prepared. Also pass it along to your dive buddy and others who dive as well.

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear Dive Mounts

They do not teach you or emphasize the importance of knowing how to "DISCONNECT YOUR LP HOSE" in the event of a malfunctioning or stuck inflation valve.

This could happen to anyone at anytime and could result in death or serious injury.

Practice this on your own and be prepared. Also pass it along to your dive buddy and others who dive as well.

Frank G

Who is the "they" thst don't teach this? It is absolutely part of the PADI OW course.

There are thousand of things related to recreational scuba diving that are seldom mentioned in a basic OWD course.
Many reasons for this.
The course has a limited amount of time. An OWD course cannot last 6 months.
The audience is variable. There is people that absorbs knowledge like dry sponges, and there is people that need a lot of time to assimilate basic concepts.
Also people with technical background can easily understand the physics and mechanics of scuba, but people with no tech background need a lot of time and practice to understand those same basic concepts.
There is people very, very interested in the course and in scuba, and people that comes just because they were told or has nothing better to do, and people in between. Some of them will dive often, some will never dive again after the checkout.
People requires time to process all the information and the implications of that information received. You cannot overwhelm them with concepts and information because many of them will overflow.
Pools are not like open sea. In open sea instructors can do drills at 6 meters where buoyancy can be kept better than at 2 meters depth if you do not want the students knee in the pool bottom. It's nice to say that drills should be done at mid water, but when mid water in a pool means 2 meters depth, for a newbie it's hard to keep buoyancy.
I remember to do a gear change with my buddy at mid water in the pool to get my MSD.
Many skills and the internalization of concepts comes with practice.
We, as professionals of Recreational scuba diving, cannot assume that we will form perfect independent and completely formed recreational scuba divers. This comes with practice and practice comes with dives. A diver should dive. It would be impossible to form a new diver with all the perfect knowledge and practice. What we have to do is to form new divers in the best way possible so they are encouraged to dive as soon as possible after the checkout and as often as possible. With this they will gain practice and experience. If we form them in a way that they are interested in the activity, we will see them often in the dive school for more courses and dive excursions, and they will dive deeper in the knowledge that we gave them in the basic courses.
Looking back, after many years diving and many dives under my belt, I could think that things could have been better or knowledge transfer and drills should have been given in a better way, that's true, but that's just for me. I was only one of many in my basic course. All of the others could think the same with different outputs. What works for me, not necessarily works for the rest. The magic is to choose the better way for the most.

for me it was all about the different types of gear available... they certainly don't teach you that...

regarding baby shampoo... i always kept a little bottle in my dive bag... till it went missing.. my readily available defog works just as fine (doesn't smell as nice though.. but who cares :D)

Who is the "they" thst don't teach this? It is absolutely part of the PADI OW course.

SSI does not cover this or at least it did not for me 2 years ago.

Just swim u/w and ride the surges until you can crawl out on your hands and knees, fins on. Each wave will assist you forward, and the backwash can drain out under you between waves.

All your gear remains in place, ready to use, not subject to loss, and keeping your hands free. Much safer.

I would not try this on Bonaire unless you want seriously shredded knees and hands. Don't think I'd try this on rocks either.

I guess you can call it dish washer liquid soap.

---------- Post added October 17th, 2015 at 07:05 PM ----------

After finding the best strap adjustment, I put on cable ties that basically disables the adjuster. This keeps the strap in exactly the same position permanently.

---------- Post added October 17th, 2015 at 07:36 PM ----------

Frank G

There are several fatal accidents where we dive that are probably due to this. Investigations show that the BCDs have drain valves torn (blown) out. I and my buddy have discussed this and visualized in our minds to disconnect the LP hose if this happens to us. Felt that reading and visualizing incidents are good. It may reduce panic if incidents ever happens. The two scariest thoughts though are:
- Jumping in with the tank close or barely open. So, we always do a buddy check before every dive which includes tank check.
- Being taken far away from the dive boat by current. We now carry a Nautilus radio for boat dives in remote sites known to have unpredictable conditions. Survivors' story mentioned they used everything one can think of: signal tube, whistles, flashlight, etc. at a distance where they can still sea their boat. But, it was futile. They waved to passing fishing boats who just waved back like saying hello and did nothing. So, maybe learning the local word for 'Help !' is important. Cannot imagine drifting overnight. even less for three days. It is scary.

---------- Post added October 17th, 2015 at 07:50 PM ----------

"Shore Entry and Exit - It is exiting that is difficult with the wave knocking you down repeatedly. "

Wow, that is exactly what we did on our first and early shore dives. All our gears were badly scratched including the new dive computer. Our new wetsuits were ruined; knees with gushed wounds. Will never go back doing that. Never ever ride the surf to shore. It was part of the past 'trial and error' thing.

I would not try this on Bonaire unless you want seriously shredded knees and hands. Don't think I'd try this on rocks either.

It would hurt a lot more being tumbled over the barnacles or smashed into a ledge with no control.
Admittedly I always have protection. And why not. And yes my knee pads are shredded. Aquaseal is cheap enough.

In a big surf on a rocky shore it may be your only choice. What better alternative do you suggest - even on a sand beach - in big waves?

Back
Top Bottom