Things they don't teach in SCUBA school

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wondered during my first year diving why I hadn't been told about a lot of the things I picked up. Realized later that there is only so much (basics plus a little) than anyone can teach you in one pool and one ocean weekend. Baby shampoo for the mask. Never fogs--can't get better than that & bottle lasts forever.

Baby shampoo for the mask.
I guess it works fine. Until you forget to pack the bottle. I'll still have my favorite defog readily available :wink:

OP sorry if this sounds like a know it all prat. To be honest with you there was NOTHING on your list I wasn't taught during my OW training-Including mask fog fixes. I have to admit I had the luxury of being trained 1 on 1 rather than in a group.

I put the shampoo on mask 2 days ahead of time (unless there is a need to pack bottle). DeFog in spare kit.
Everybody's spit is different. Mine works OK in salt water (not as well as the shampoo), not in the pool.

(I'm told the Brits say "washing up fluid")

The British say "washing up liquid". Not fluid. At least that's what my mum used to say. :)

Reactions: Jax
@Donqixote: Can you explain ? I did not get it :(

"- We finally permanently fixed the strap position using nylon ties. The straps will shift during diving for unknown reason. Setting it permanently put an end to the constant flooding."

"Shore Entry and Exit - It is exiting that is difficult with the wave knocking you down repeatedly. "

Don't even try to stand up.

Just swim u/w and ride the surges until you can crawl out on your hands and knees, fins on. Each wave will assist you forward, and the backwash can drain out under you between waves.

All your gear remains in place, ready to use, not subject to loss, and keeping your hands free. Much safer.

Works on rocky shores too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom