Things I've learned along the way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting mention of microbes.
I assume sea water is a dilute protozoan mix and when it dries, they die and rot.
I know they say sun harms the neoprene, but my windsurfing booties I put outside in sun and wind to air after a day drying indoors. That really gets them to pass the sniff test. The Peet Dryer I use on the legs and attached boots of my CF200.
Yes, scuba boots can get truly repellant. I bought a special hanger for hanging accessories, the XS Scuba X5 hanger, which holds them upside down and keeps the ankle part open a little, helping them dry. Very helpful. A quick Google search suggests your Peet Dryer actively dries. Someone in another thread mentioned using toilet paper roll cardboard things (after the TP is gone) to hold them open. Whatever you do, get those things to dry out overnight.

Otherwise, if you try the sniff test late in the week, you may gag.

I assume sea water is a dilute protozoan mix and when it dries, they die and rot.

Yes, scuba boots can get truly repellant. I bought a special hanger for hanging accessories, the XS Scuba X5 hanger, which holds them upside down and keeps the ankle part open a little, helping them dry. Very helpful. A quick Google search suggests your Peet Dryer actively dries. Someone in another thread mentioned using toilet paper roll cardboard things (after the TP is gone) to hold them open. Whatever you do, get those things to dry out overnight.

Otherwise, if you try the sniff test late in the week, you may gag.
We used to pack a little bottle of sink the stink to use at the end of the trip, but I'm started doing what you mentioned earlier - showering with my rash guards on and using a lot of soap. If I'm diving with a wetsuit it's usually left with the dive shop and they rinse with antiseptic something-or-other and it smells nice the next day.

My overall goals, in terms of packing, are to be able to easily hoist my own carry-on into the overhead bin on the plane (I don't want to be THAT lady who overpacked or is too weak or who tears a rotator cuff) and to keep my checked bag under 50 pounds. Usually my checked bag is under 45 - I'm aiming for under 40! (Now it's a game!)

I really like the look of those front-closure bras! And you can adjust them in the back as well? That's revolutionary. Thanks! I got a couple of the 'Energy Bra High Support' bras by lululemon. I like them, but they close in the back so I either have to do some acrobatics or get help from Roger! They have a fun criss-cross in the back, and the front is high enough to show zero cleavage). I got oddball colors to pay less money (forest green and lime green like the one shown). I also paid full boat for a black one. (That's not me in the picture, nor does my back look anything like that, nor do I have any cool tattoos)

Definitely looking at SheFit now ...

View attachment 741734

The SheFit Velcro shoulder straps can defy space & time.
These magical devices bring the girls back to high school elevation and keeps them there.

Attachments

• 027D795A-6B9C-4788-8441-AF9BBE37CAB2.png
    027D795A-6B9C-4788-8441-AF9BBE37CAB2.png
    655.1 KB · Views: 53
I like the disassemble regs before packing suggestion - don’t know why I haven’t figured this one out.

On bathing suits I carry 4 on a liveaboard - one for each dive in the day and change into the next one after each dive. I may or may not wear clothes over top.

I also carry multiple wet suits so I am always putting on a dry one for a dive. Generally two shorties and a full suit - depends on where. WAY warmer at the end of the day. Takes luggage space and weight however.

I like the disassemble regs before packing suggestion - don’t know why I haven’t figured this one out.

On bathing suits I carry 4 on a liveaboard - one for each dive in the day and change into the next one after each dive. I may or may not wear clothes over top.

I also carry multiple wet suits so I am always putting on a dry one for a dive. Generally two shorties and a full suit - depends on where. WAY warmer at the end of the day. Takes luggage space and weight however.
Hang your wetsuit inside out between dives. You don't really care if the outside gets dry...

1. On a LOB, where your AI transmitter might accumulate 27 hrs of use, be sure to have a spare battery with you,

2. Last day of scuba, if you can handle it, dive in the performance tshirt instead of your wetsuit top or shorty, it will dry faster.

3. Hang your BC to dry on a railing by the shoulder straps (gross but I also suck the water out of it through the inflator hose).

4. Take a small container of ear beer on the trip - 50% white vinegar 50% alcohol

MC

PS - what does the hoodie have to do with you looking like a bandit?

Hang your wetsuit inside out between dives. You don't really care if the outside gets dry...

Don’t know about yours, but my wetsuit takes much longer than a couple of hours to dry on a liveaboard - even just the inside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom