Thin Gloves For Cold Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireInMyBones

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for toasty gloves, very little water exchange, seams that you can not feel on the inside and thin (less than 5mm, maybe 3mm) for unsurpassed dexterity. I have a lot of bottles to move and I like knowing where I am clipping them off.
I currently use Seasoft Stealth 5mm. I like them but they are bulky and tend to leak due to the length and width of the wrist ( not much seal).

Any suggestions meeting these requirements?

I recently purchased a pair of Scubapro Everflex 3 mils. I've only made one dive with them and the water temp was in the low 70's which is no way cold. However, my hands were extremely warm and there was very little water movement thru the gloves. I've read good reviews about a company called "Fourth Element". Their gloves have received very high ratings. You might want to check them out. If there had been a shop near where I live that carried them, I would definitely have taken a look at them. Good luck.

I use dry gloves, which seem to be more dexterous than a 5mm glove. Being able to feel my fingers during a long dive does give me more dexterity.

One way to stop water intrusion which is what I did with my 3mm gloves was to wear a latex glove underneath. It definitely helped.

I was having trouble finding gloves I liked and was still able to feel with them and get them on easy over my drysuit cuffs. After almost giving up and thinking about getting drygloves I desided to try a modification on a set. I took the pair that felt good and had the gauntlets cut off just above the wrists and put some tabs on the upper sides that allow me to grab them with a gloved hand or my teeth to help pull them on. The gauntlets didn't do much since the drysuit seals go right to the wrist. So far I have been happy with the change.

These are good options. I may end up with 3mm gloves that are cozy and easy to get on and off and remove the gantlet.
I have also considered using a nitrile glove underneath a pair of others.
I will look into Fourth Element.

Thank you guys.

I am looking for toasty gloves, very little water exchange, seams that you can not feel on the inside and thin (less than 5mm, maybe 3mm) for unsurpassed dexterity. I have a lot of bottles to move and I like knowing where I am clipping them off.
I currently use Seasoft Stealth 5mm. I like them but they are bulky and tend to leak due to the length and width of the wrist ( not much seal).

Any suggestions meeting these requirements?

Northern Diver Superstretch 2mm and 5mm Gloves. I use the 5mm here in Seattle in the winter (40-45 F). Warm and dexterous but keep them away from velcro because the sticky tactile nubblies get worn off. Otherwise I use 3mm from our local Marine parts supply store because they are cheap.

The 5mm really hug your hands and keep the water out. I think they must be some sort of "hyperstretch" neoprene - don't really know since I don't buy those expensive wet suits. The wrist of the glove also is a snug fit around my latex wrist seals. I'm sure some other manufacturers have equivalent gloves.

Last edited:
One of my buddies dive a Northern Diver Drysuit. I will check out the website.

http://http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/general-scuba-equipment-discussions/321896-what-warmest-wet-gloves-most-dexterity-2.html

check out the general equipment area - I tried to post a link - basically suggestions from other manufacturers of the very same close fitting flexible neoprene gloves by various manufacturers.

7mm Henderson Hyperstretch, thermocline, etc. and some might be a little cheaper as I thought the Northern Diver's are in the $40+ range. It looks like they all fit nice and snug at the wrist.

I am going to try some 2mm Aqualung Kia gloves on next dive. They have a tighter wrist and are cozy in store. I will let you all know how it goes.
Thank you all for your advice.

I got to try the 2mm Aqualung Kia gloves today in temps down to 56F. Not very cold water. Hands had the dexterity I was looking for. Hands were not too cold. I wish I could have tried them out in colder water. I think that these will replace my 5mm gloves for now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom