Thermocline in Jupiter today;

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPT HOOK

Contributor
Reaction score
iiii & I went diving out of Jupiter today, man did it get Cold.

83* down to 45' then dropped to 70* - and all we had were our skins!!

You can be sure these were SHORT dives!

But hey, we got down (didn't have to dive to get wet today
;-))

I shudder to think about it!

Glad you made it up in time to enjoy the storms from above the surface!

Take care,
Grier

With current technology there must be a way to make a sounding of the temperature at depth before jumping off. I have went in on the advice of people who dove that AM and been either way to hot or WAY too cold. I opt for extra insulation with the idea that I can always unzip and circulate some nice cool water into the suit.

I have wondered about modifing a electronic thermometer with 90' of wire to get a digital reading at depth but I do not have the electronics background to know if this is possible or how to go about it.

With all the crazy gadgets out there I think there would be a market for this.

While a dive master is giving a pre dive briefing another crew memeber could "mark the twain" and give a pre dive temperature reading.

Anyone have any ideas, comments, ridicule?

That thermocline has been there for 2 weeks, at least. They are really odd, too. Never changing depth, you swim for awhile at 83 DEG and then hit a patch of 68 DEG, than back to 80 DEG. Very odd.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

baitedstorm:
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I dove Jupiter Sunday, and actually at a 69 degree reading on the computer.... too cold.... Second dive, I just hung out at 45 feet and watched...

Gee, how do you guys do it??? I'd be sufferring from heat exhaustion...........

Wrote about it here

Funny how it's all relative. At home if I find a pocket of 70 something degree water, I'm ready to dive bare.

Bob

70 degrees and cold... come on folks.... 70 degree water in the northeast is a nice day.... and that's surface temp's.... all you warm water divers are pampered, and spoiled.. try diving in the northeast in winter.. LOL...LOL..... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom