thermal protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I will be taking some cave training in the Playa del Carmen area and was wondering what would be decent thermal protection for the dives? We will be on rebreather so I expect some pretty long run times. I own a shell dry suit, a 7 mil wetsuit and a 3 mil shorty. Any of those fit the bill or do I get to buy some more dive gear?:D

You can buy it if you want it,

The water will be much warmer than the BC waters. You could get by with your 7 mil but you still may want to take that shell suit with a liter undergarment. Exposure times can be a heat lost adventure. You can always cool down better then warm up. I've had many of my fellow Canucks come down here for training and find out that 72 F water can be cool after a couple of hours. Maybe take the drysuit and the wetsuit use both.

GDI:
You can buy it if you want it,

The water will be much warmer than the BC waters. You could get by with your 7 mil but you still may want to take that shell suit with a liter undergarment. Exposure times can be a heat lost adventure. You can always cool down better then warm up. I've had many of my fellow Canucks come down here for training and find out that 72 F water can be cool after a couple of hours. Maybe take the drysuit and the wetsuit use both.
Are you suggesting wearing the WS under the DS? I have actually headr of that being done. I think the Mexican caves are a little warmer than 72F though. Still after 2hr+ RT anything can feel cold I guess

Dave,

I'm heading down to Akumal next month for my 5th year in a row. I'm female and get cold easily. Last year I wore a 7mm Hyperstretch jumpsuit with a 5/3 hooded vest over top and 7mm wetsuit gloves with the fingers cut off. (mainly to restrict flow up wrists of wetsuit) Since I'm holding my light in front of me, fingers through a Goodman handle, the water slushes up my sleeve and chills me as I swim.

This year I've added a 3mm Hyperstretch bolero & 3mm Hyperstretch hood to my collection should I need another layer while mixing and matching. I know, I know.....I'm an icecube!! When I get cold diving wet, it's in the shoulders, upper arms, and chest.

My buddy, who is male, wears a 5mm Hyperstretch full jumpsuit and a Body Glove beanie which I believe is 2mm. He's perfectly warm with his setup.

The dives can be long and the water temp is a constant 78 degrees according to my dive log. Our guide wears a semidry. The longest dive I've done there was 2.5 hours and I was quite glad to see the warm sunshine at the end of that dive!!

I've thought about taking my drysuit, but the thought of gearing up in the heat and the extra time it takes precludes that for me.

Hope I've helped you make a decision.

I was there in Jan 2005. I wore a 7mm wet suit and a 3mm beanie. I was comfortable for all the dives.

wedivebc:
I will be taking some cave training in the Playa del Carmen area and was wondering what would be decent thermal protection for the dives? We will be on rebreather so I expect some pretty long run times. I own a shell dry suit, a 7 mil wetsuit and a 3 mil shorty. Any of those fit the bill or do I get to buy some more dive gear?:D
All my buddies that did Cave 1 did it with a shell suit and DUI 200g undies

wedivebc:

Hi Dave,

I think you'd be good in either your 7 mil or your dry suit. I just finished my Cave Training in Playa a couple of months ago, and we were fine for up to two hours wearing just a 3 mil and a hooded vest. I had a 5 mil with me, but never bothered to wear it as I was plenty warm. It did take me a couple of days to stop trying to hit my chest inflator though! :D

Most of the guides wear 7 mil suits and a few of the instructors wear drysuits, but they are used to much warmer waters than we are.

You can read about my Cave Training in my Trip Report.

Have a blast! I can't wait to go back!

boydski:
Hi Dave,

I think you'd be good in either your 7 mil or your dry suit. I just finished my Cave Training in Playa a couple of months ago, and we were fine for up to two hours wearing just a 3 mil and a hooded vest. I had a 5 mil with me, but never bothered to wear it as I was plenty warm. It did take me a couple of days to stop trying to hit my chest inflator though! :D

Most of the guides wear 7 mil suits and a few of the instructors wear drysuits, but they are used to much warmer waters than we are.

You can read about my Cave Training in my Trip Report.

Have a blast! I can't wait to go back!

Loved your trip report Boydsk. I will be diving with protech as well. Our instructor will be Matt but I have heard good things about him as well. I am really looking forward to the experience. My only concern about drysuit is if I have a seal failure at the turn point it will be a long cold swim out. I am seriously considering a 7mil under the drysuit for redundancy.

BTW, I just got back from Similan Is where I was wearing only t-shirt and shorts. Everyone thought I was nuts. Wore my shorty once on a night dive and decided it wasn't worth the hassle

wedivebc:
Are you suggesting wearing the WS under the DS? I have actually headr of that being done. I think the Mexican caves are a little warmer than 72F though. Still after 2hr+ RT anything can feel cold I guess

Nope saying take your 7 mil or take your Ds and a lighter UW

or take both and see what your are most comfortable in.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom