thermal protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI:
Nope saying take your 7 mil or take your Ds and a lighter UW

or take both and see what your are most comfortable in.
I see. I just dragged a ss bp and wings through half of Thailand. It got heavier by the minute. Good thing my wife is coming on this trip:D
Thanks for the tip

wedivebc:
Loved your trip report Boydsk. I will be diving with protech as well. Our instructor will be Matt but I have heard good things about him as well. I am really looking forward to the experience. My only concern about drysuit is if I have a seal failure at the turn point it will be a long cold swim out. I am seriously considering a 7mil under the drysuit for redundancy.

Matt is an extremely good instructor. He's strict, but you'll learn a lot from him, and he's got years of experience doing cave exploration on rebreathers. You'll have a blast. Be sure to check out the cave map to Chac Mool in the shop, which is mostly Matt's work.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about a seal failure on your dry suit. The water isn't really that cold, and even if you completely flood your drysuit, you'll still be pretty warm in your new "wet" suit. Your 7 mil wetsuit might be easier to manage, especially as the caves tend to go up and down a lot, so you'll find yourself using your rear dump on your wing a lot.

Have a great time!

So if I go the wetsuit route, what do I do for pockets to carry all my goodies? I assume we will need spare mask and other redundant equipment

wedivebc:
So if I go the wetsuit route, what do I do for pockets to carry all my goodies? I assume we will need spare mask and other redundant equipment
Buy some X-Shorts

wedivebc:

I bought a pocket from Ogden Point and glued it on. I had it when we dove at Mackenzie Bight. It's holding up fairly well so far; however, it doesn't get much use hanging up in my garage.

wedivebc:

Good question,

I bought a couple of pockets from a local that makes them. I have also used the 5thD pockets and they work fine. I glue mine on with E6000 glue and they have survived several trips.

Having two pockets gives you a lot of flexibility to carry more stuff (like a spare mask, third backup light, etc.). When I took my Cavern Training, I only had one pocket, and that works too, but it can get pretty crowded. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom