Trip Report There be monsters in Pensacola waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
Caught this guy in ~100ft of water on the Timberholes site. Estimated 6-7 lbs.

Attachments

• PXL_20211010_215632919.jpg
    PXL_20211010_215632919.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Spiny_Crop.jpg
    Spiny_Crop.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 120
But why? A lobster that big…doesn’t it just taste like cardboard?

why would you take what is almost surely a breeding female that is almost inedible at that age

Nice size bug for that area. The florida record is 26lbs and on the FL east coast around the St. Lucie to Ponce deep reefs that size bug is considered normal. @rjack321 & @Catito , remember that all FL lobster are not born in Florida but rather the tiny 'recruits' ride the gulf stream currents from central and south america. It's been well documented by SAFMC with actual dna testing. 2020 & 21 are continuing a 7 year trend of the most sustainable seafood stock in Florida. With this data, some of us are asking for additional limits programs.

How can you tell it is a female?

I think it looks more like a male, but hard to tell from the picture. It is easier determine when they get a good bit larger.

That size lobster is very good eating. In fact, the "head" and legs and antennae bases all have considerable meat (probably more than the tail), so the larger ones have a better yield if you take the trouble to prepare the (normally discarded ) head and legs.

But why? A lobster that big…doesn’t it just taste like cardboard?
Not if you prepare it correctly.

In truth, I prefer the shovelnose lobster for taste, but this one tasted like a typical spiny lobster, somewhat sweet, a little chewy. I will say that these big guys are spinier and ouchier than the smaller ones.

How can you tell it is a female?

I think it looks more like a male, but hard to tell from the picture. It is easier determine when they get a good bit larger.

That size lobster is very good eating. In fact, the "head" and legs and antennae bases all have considerable meat (probably more than the tail), so the larger ones have a better yield if you take the trouble to prepare the (normally discarded ) head and legs.
You are correct, it is a male.

why would you take what is almost surely a breeding female that is almost inedible at that age
This one happened to be a male, but if were a female, I still would have taken her, if she weren't bearing eggs. Apparently spiny lobster may reproduce when their carapace is 3" long, so when they are about two years old. This one's carapace was over 6". The northern gulf doesn't get the kind of pressure that South Florida does for spiny lobsters, so they are able to grow to larger sizes. They are certainly not as densely populated (within recreational limits) as South Florida.

As far as your assertion of it being inedible, I'll just chalk that up to lack of personal research. It certainly tasted better than monkfish, in my opinion.

I think it looks more like a male, but hard to tell from the picture.
I know that @paulwall already answered your question but I wanted to add that you can "See it" in his picture. Look at the bug being held against his chest, and on the right side of the tail. The 4 individual small 'swimmerette fins' sticking out are just 'singles'. If it was a female, each swimmerette fin would be a 'double' and you would clearly see it by looking at the tips.

Not if you prepare it correctly.
In truth, I prefer the shovelnose lobster for taste, but this one tasted like a typical spiny lobster, somewhat sweet, a little chewy. I will say that these big guys are spinier and ouchier than the smaller ones.

Don't they all just taste of butter?

Back
Top Bottom