Theme for June 14-20:....and this is the Wreck Room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These pics are some of the 1st I took with my digital camera in water that had better than the typical 10 foot vis we have here in the northeast. This was my 1st wreck dive.

I took the pics using a Canon S230 with the Canon housing and no strobe and then lceaned up the pics using PS and some of the techniques that have been detailed on the board.

The 1st is a pic from the deck looking over the box and the 2nd is from the deck looking off the starboard side to the sand.

TTSkipper

justleesa:
Love the colors Clay! What wreck is it?

That was from the little La Machaca wreck in front of Capt. Don's on Bonaire. Here's another popular ABC wreck--The Superior Producer in Curacao.

45fbbd10.jpg

Whiskey Wreck in Gulf Shores, AL

History: Its a 200'+ Whiskey runner that was beached and taken by rough surf sometime in the 1800s. I've tried digging up more info but its been tough. Depending on where the sandbar lies, the wreck can be 7' to just inches out of the sand. Its 150m off the beach in 13-20' of water(depending on tide/season). Vis is about 5-10' on average. At the moment maybe 2-4' :) During this pic ~15'(camera doesn't do it justice). Every so often the Gods smile and we enjoy 25-40'... I never have the camera at these few/far-between times...

Picture_046.sized.jpg

Picture_027.sized.jpg

Picture_022.sized.jpg

Its hard to identify what part is what, especially from the photos. I can't distinguish its true front while in water. Its rotted away pretty far.

The Whiskey is my favorite spot, it sits direcly in front of a public access beach with showers. Its never too crowded(I've never seen more than 5 divers on it). Easiest wreck for me to access and the conditions are always different. I love it.

Dee:
The Prince Albert is an old freighter that sits in The Front Yard at CoCo View. We see it several times a day on shore dives. I'm not sure about the history other than it's an old freighter that's been there for years, I want to say it's been there since sometime in the 80's. I'll try to dig up some info on it. Edit: RoatanMan posted the history of the Prince Albert and the DC-3 plane--->

Wow Dee, you made me feel like I was there all over again thanks. Nice Shots.

Spectacular! Leesa love that 4th one! It would make a great poster.
All fantastic!
This is my favorite thread on the board right now!

I like that one Jim! :D
Do you know anything more about the wreck?

Natasha,

Thanks :D...I'm always trying. Here is something simular from the MS Mahi

SuPrBuGmAn:
Whiskey Wreck in Gulf Shores, AL

History: Its a 200'+ Whiskey runner that was beached and taken by rough surf sometime in the 1800s. I've tried digging up more info but its been tough. Depending on where the sandbar lies, the wreck can be 7' to just inches out of the sand. Its 150m off the beach in 13-20' of water(depending on tide/season). Vis is about 5-10' on average. At the moment maybe 2-4' :) During this pic ~15'(camera doesn't do it justice). Every so often the Gods smile and we enjoy 25-40'... I never have the camera at these few/far-between times...

Its hard to identify what part is what, especially from the photos. I can't distinguish its true front while in water. Its rotted away pretty far.

The Whiskey is my favorite spot, it sits direcly in front of a public access beach with showers. Its never too crowded(I've never seen more than 5 divers on it). Easiest wreck for me to access and the conditions are always different. I love it.
Have you ever found any bottles, or something like that, while on a dive?

A bit of Mahi History:
Oahus' first artificial reef (max depth 92') was a WWII mine layer known as the USS Scrimmage. Changed hands a couple'a times before it was sunk in 1982. Over the years that I have been diving it I have been watching it fall apart. It is no longer safe to swim thru and if the current is strong you can see the top cabin, better said what's left of it, move back and forth, but it still is a great dive as groups of up to 18 (from what we have seen) eagle rays love to hang around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom