Theme 28 Nov - 4 Dec 2005: Sea Serpents - eels & snakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice shot of the snake eel.

Great images!

Those fresh water fish things creep me out so much! Yikes!

Card...images that are max length 640 or so work better on here so people don't have to scroll :wink: You might want to resize so we can get the full effect of this beauty!

From the slide archives, a Whitemouth Moray from the Coral Sea:

zwhitemouth_moray.JPG

A snake eel from the Lembeh Strait:

lembeh_snake_eel.jpg

and a moray from Bonaire:

moray6.jpg

And here's a generic green moray shot:

S000612-s.jpg

Luke

Since everyone seems to be posting Morays, here are a couple of different eels. The closest I've ever managed to get to a garden eel without it disappearing:

Spotted-Garden-Eel.jpg

And this one is actually an eel, not a sea snake. It's mimicry is pretty good, as only the dorsal fin gives it away.

Saddled-Snake-Eel.jpg

-Mark

Great shot of the Garden Eel! I never get more than a shadowy distance shot! Where were these taken? What kind of eel is that second one?

The spotted garden eel was shot in Fiji, at Nigali Passage. I found the garden eels there to be much less shy than the ones I've seen in the Caribbean. However, that shot is cropped, as I couldn't get close enough to go full frame on it.

The second eel is a banded snake eel, Myrichthys colubrinus. This was also shot in Fiji, under the town pier at Lavuka.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom