Theft at Breakwater!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alibi 2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
On the weekends Instructors take new students to Breakwater for they're first ocean dives. Floats can be seen all over the surface area. These floats are anchored to the ocean floor usually with a sand anchor. Dive cert. agencies require a secure line when doing ESA's with students so this is a real safety issue.

Today at breakwater an instructor helping another instructor set the wonderful stainless steel sand anchor she used in 19' of water to secure her tube. He then went back in and helped her bring her students out.

In that short time someone stole the sand anchor off the tube line. It was not a mistake,,it had to be unclip and unsecured to be stolen. the tube was only still in the same spot because there was a back of weights at the end of the line..the only reason those were probally stolen to was that the shop name was on it!..

If anyone saw anything let me know..we would love to get the anchor back...no questions asked,,,but we will be keeping a closer eye on our floats...sad there are divers that would do this..

Huh?!?!?!?!?!?!

That sucks. Hard to believe that a fellow diver would do that.

I hope that it gets returned and that this has been some honest mistake. (Ya, right.) :-(

Thanks,,,i have always watched my gear on shore there and worried about theft from car or blankets but, out in the water?...scary ...i know that instructors make very little money as it is and DM's don't get paid at all...you really have to just love diving and love sharing the experiance with others....

All this gear that is used to teach usually comes out of the instructors pocket....it is sad to think some one is now lurking out there stealing it....I don't even want to think it could be another instructor or DM...we usually are in the habit of watching out for each other and each others students..

I know about 3 months ago an otter popped my tube and stole 4# in weight..another diver saw him do it...but there is no way that they can remove a properly anchored sand anchor...that takes some work..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom