The Wow of Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

June - it goes like this, Catherine had been there a few times already and had stayed at all of the fancy places like Carolines, Pacific Palau Resort (PPR) and Sunrise Villa (+/- $200/night). We ended up staying at the West Plaza Malakal ($70/night), which is just down the street, walking distance from Sam's Tours (dive operator). The rooms are very clean, new and spacious. We actually got one of the larger rooms after I tipped the driver from the hotel's airport shuttle, and we overheard him tell the receptionist to give us a ground floor room (deluxe) which are the largest ones in the hotel. On to dive operators, the general concensus is that Sams and Fish 'N Fins are the best on the island. We had a great experience with Sam's. They were doing free NITROX, so inquire. As far as dive sites, they will gauge the dives to your ability. You can dive most of the sites everyday and never see the same things twice. The popular ones to see are Blue Corner, Big Drop Off, New Drop Off, German Channel Wall. Advice on diving - take a look at the threads regarding downdrafts and reef hooks. And get yourself a safety sausage/surface marker. This thread probably belongs in the Palau forum, but this is where I originally posted it to tell all of the folks here in Hawaii about the trip. Food - check out The Taj (Indian), Suriyothai, Dragon Thei, breakfast at the West Plaza Malakal was excellent. One more thing, check with Cindi with Micronesia Dive Association for package rates.

Jamesbeal;
How delightful. I leave for the Philippines 8 days and then to Palau for 18 days- next Thursday. I'm so thirlled to be trying out a new strobe and to see many of the wonderful creatures. We'll be staying at the DW Motel really budget style accommodations ($45 a night). We'll dive with Sam's everyday except the final day when we will try our hand at kayaking. Looks like you and Catherine have been taking some lovely shots. I'll post a trip report and attempt to post my first gallery of shots.

We'll be in Hawaii in September since tickets are inexpensve and it is a quick hop (5.5 hrs) from Alaska. We try to go each year to a different island, but end up on Maui often becaause of the incredible package deals thorugh Hawaiian Vacations in Anchorage. We haven't dove Oahu or the big island too much and were interested in getting some ideas as to which one is better for shore diving.

I am looking into Palau in Aug/Sep. I was looking at the Aggressor liveaboard and at the Palau resort. I am flying solo, so am looking for some social activity as well as great diving. Thanks!

jamesbeal:
We ended up staying at the West Plaza Malakal ($70/night), which is just down the street, walking distance from Sam's Tours (dive operator).

I produced a podcast about diving. Earlier this year at Beneath The Sea. I interviewed Sam Scott of Sam's Tours. He gave me great insights to diving around Palau. Can't wait to go to Palua in "07.

To listen to Sam's interview you can direct download http://media.libsyn.com/media/poddiver/PD040.mp3 or check out my website at www.poddiver.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom