"The Wetter The Better" save lionfish from death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If killing a fish makes you feel better, do it. Just don't be a hazard to yourself or others. Sooner or later, there's going to be some serious injuries from these well intentioned but futile efforts.

It was too late to stop when the first clutch hatched from the first breeding pair.

Drug dealers don't reproduce as fast as fish nor are they as numerous. You still can't get them all by killing them off.

Ahhhh yes, the kneejerk reactions of the myopic treehugger. Would you feel better if we let lionfish and drug dealers run rampant?

That’s cool. But why single out lionfish? Lets throw rocks and sticks at all those sparrows, pigeons and starlings. Lets go down to Keys and screw few heads from some Iguanas. And what about all that crab grass on my backyard?

That’s cool. But why single out lionfish? Lets throw rocks and sticks at all those sparrows, pigeons and starlings. Lets go down to Keys and screw few heads from some Iguanas. And what about all that crab grass on my backyard?

One can not take on every problem that is out there. As we are divers and are passing by these creatures, more often they say my neighbor, we should do our part to work towards helping fix this problem. Whether it be contacting REEF, killing the creatures or what have you we should do our best to assist.

If killing a fish makes you feel better, do it. Just don't be a hazard to yourself or others. Sooner or later, there's going to be some serious injuries from these well intentioned but futile efforts.

It was too late to stop when the first clutch hatched from the first breeding pair.

Drug dealers don't reproduce as fast as fish nor are they as numerous. You still can't get them all by killing them off.

I suppose the lionfish influx was brought on by human caused "global warming"... sorry I mean "climate change..."

FWIW I try to help by killing at least a hundred a year.I consider it a "green" act as I am removing an invasive species and allowing local fauna a change in diet:lotsalove:.

Ahhhh yes, the kneejerk reactions of the myopic treehugger. Would you feel better if we let lionfish and drug dealers run rampant?

Hardly a tree hugger. I just see both of your suggested solutions as risky activities that do nothing to solve the problem.

If every diver took a Lion Fish on every dive, they still wouldn't put a serious dent in the population.

Hardly a tree hugger. I just see both of your suggested solutions as risky activities that do nothing to solve the problem.

If every diver took a Lion Fish on every dive, they still wouldn't put a serious dent in the population.

And what scientific study do you base this statement on? Or did you, as I suspect, pull this statement out of your :mooner:?

And what scientific study do you base this statement on? Or did you, as I suspect, pull this statement out of your :mooner:?

I haven't used the math in 25 years so it would take me awhile to prove it, but I have a MS in population biology (no work there so I shifted to molecular biology). There are straightforward equations into which you can plug variables like reproductive rate and predation rate to determine population growth. I'm making some assumptions about reproductive rate.

You also have to consider that all of the hunting will be in heavily dived areas which will be quickly recolonized from surrounding areas which are not hunted.

I have no objection to killing the fish. It's just not an effective solution and the spines present a risk if the diver gets careless.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom