The wait is over: Suunto Eon Steel is here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ:
Why were people opposing to the petrol engine when it was invented. The steam engine did it's job quite well. Did it not? :blinking:

As far as I am concerned, AI would be usefull and nice if done right. I really do beleive Shearwater is the company who can make it work. The EON is not my cup of tea. Just to much functionality crammed in this computer. I want a computer that does best what it does, not one that does everything.

What's Petrol? Is that like Gasoline? Shearwater would probably do it right, but it's doubtful they will unless they think they can find a way to make it 100% (or damn close) reliable.

I think Suunto is going in the right direction, and if as stable as claimed, the wireless on EON might be just what the market wants. Remove (or allow us to turn off) audible alarms, remove (or allow a bypass) to hard lockout if deco violation... And find a way to make buying one with 3 PODs under $2,000 and I'm really, really tempted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's Petrol? Is that like Gasoline? Shearwater would probably do it right, but it's doubtful they will unless they think they can find a way to make it 100% (or damn close) reliable.
Petro = gasoline. I doubt it too, but it would be nice.

I think Suunto is going in the right direction, and if as stable as claimed, the wireless on EON might be just what the market wants. Remove (or allow us to turn off) audible alarms, remove (or allow a bypass) to hard lockout if deco violation... And find a way to make buying one with 3 PODs under $2,000 and I'm really, really tempted.
Me too, but I doubt it will happen.

View attachment 194265
1x1.gif
SUUNTO EON STEEL IS HERE!

The next generation dive computer is here, offering full customization and amazing color screen. The Suunto EON Steel will grow with you as your diving and skills evolve, thanks to the way you can customize it to your needs.

****Follow link to: Explore more about the new Suunto EON Steel *****

When will this be available for now the wait is clearly not over...

When will this be available for now the wait is clearly not over...

Yes doo hurry up Suunto. Apparently you've been developing this for 5 years, if so why the sudden delay? If you're pushing back to 2015 please inform everyone. I'm happy to wait, not so happy to be told how long to wait...

Why on earth would you post wait is over if it was a month+ before units started shipping! Request OP or Mods to change title to the wait is ALMOST over! :). And please give us an estimate on when you expect units to ship from Finland. Please :).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On page 21 of the user manual, there is an example of a "pO2 low" warning. The strange thing is that the screen shows pO2 = 1.19 with a gas of tx16/45 at a depth of 1.3m. I think this is extremely misleading and that this bug is ironed out.

On page 16, there is a no deco time of 50 minutes. It is not clear whether this is the remaining time to continue diving until decompression obligations are reached. If not, the user would have to compare/subtract from eacg two numbers (deco time vs dive time) in order to make dive decisions underwater. Not good.

Page 25, the ascent rates and warnings thereof should be dependent of the depth and dive duration. It might be quite ok/desirable to ascend even more rapidly at depth, but, 8m/min sounds wreckless at shallower deco depths. Some dive computers allow you to input parameters for allowable ascent rates per depth range.

Page 28, what does calibrating the compass "by rotating the unit in large figure-8 loops" really mean? Are the loops supposed to be vertical or horizontal? Are you supposed to rotate the unit AND simultaneously perform figure-8 loops with your hand? Should the rotation by around the longer axis of the dive Computer or something else. A picture seems necessary... Secondly is there any difference whether you live in the North (say Finland) or close to the equator?

Page 53, since each AI pod has its own serial number and is connected to a dedicated regulator, it would desirable that the EON could remember, or atleast suggest, pairing of the pods vs different gases. Atleast I have dedicated regulators for BM tanks, ean50, ean100 and possible travel gases. After pairing, I wonder how long will the dive computer remember the pod/gas pairing? I think this should be atleast 60 minutes.

Page 60, operating temperature range 0...+40 Celcius = no winter diving? (Eventhough the temp display range is -20...+50 Celcius in the following page)

I am sure there might be more flaws/areas to improve like this in the software or manuals. Thus, it is better to wait a while.

It might be worth mentioning something about IATA flight regulations vs the inbuilt LiIon battery. I.e. not allowed in check-in baggage. Not allowed to send by airmail or courier (for ebay sales or after sales service to service center especially if service is required every two years).

BTW, is the battery user replaceable or not? See page 63.

I asked and the official statement was that they would ship the second week of December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked and the official statement was that they would ship the second week of December.

Asked whom? Remember they first said October, then November, then end of November. At DEMA today my LDS went by their booth and SUUNTO said "not sure no date" and when asked why said "small bugs" with the system. Developed for five years and small bugs? Notice how they have not answered on here about their asinine "wait is over" marketing when clearly the wait is not over. Suunto is famous for buggy computer releases especailly first run probably best to avoid this pig for a year or two....idiotic company.

My bet is in stores the 29th :)

---------- Post added November 22nd, 2014 at 02:27 AM ----------

That is Dec 29th only a guess though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom