The Ultimate Cairns/Great Barrier Reef Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tracy,

Thanks for taking the time to do all that. It was very helpful to a lot of people I am sure.
We dove with Silver Sonic out of Port Douglas. It was First Class all the way.

I would add diving from "Poseidon" in Port Douglas. Their operation is a bit pricey but first class and worth every cent. I've yet to dive a boat with better accomodations and the reefs are - well - how can you go wrong on the Barrier Reef? Worth a link....

Snorkelling Diving Great Barrier Reef Port Douglas Australia Poseidon Cruises PADI Diving

Also, a great B&B just outside Port Douglas that I would highly recommend -

http://www.coralsearetreat.com/

Last edited:
Great Adventures: Green Island and Great Barrier Reef Cairns Tours & Cruises

Great Adventures - Central Reservations
Ph: (61) 7 4044 9944 | Fax: (61) 7 4044 9955
Email: central_ga@quicksilvergroup.com.au

Cairns Aquarius Hotel
Cairns Accommodation - Aquarius Apartments by the Great Barrier Reef, Queensland, Australia
Cairns Waterfront Apartments - Aquarius Apartments Cairns - Holiday apartment Cairns Australia

Esplanade markets on weekend On the promenade (just by the lagoon) every Saturday between 8am - 4pm

Golden Boat Chinese Restaurant
Daily from 17:30 to 22:30
(07) 4031 8833 | 4/34 Lake Street

Low Isles Great Barrier Reef Island Sailing - Low Isles Sailing :: Wavedancer

I see no one mentioned Cairns Dive Center yet, and I'd say that's for good reason. I just came back from a trip with them - a two day liveaboard because that's all I had time for in Cairns.

Save your $$, go somewhere else. I was fairly disappointed.

Cattle boat, lousy food, rush, rush, rush, and worst of all, the last reef they brought us to was dead. I wouldn't have minded if they told us it was dead before we dropped in. I'd read about this in the tour books but didn't understand it until I saw it. If they made it a learning experience I would have been ok with it, but it was a supposed to be a regular dive.

Besides all that, they "hire" mostly volunteer kids for 6-9 months with the promise of teaching them to become a dive instructor from scratch. So that's who's running the show.

The wetsuits were "first come first severed" (their words) and they had more holes than good Swiss cheese. They did drop off some new ones, which arrived on the the transport boat we were leaving on. There were about 20 size 3 & 4, and 1 size 5. Since I'm a full grown adult, I needed a size 5.

The cabin was good, but we had to be out of it by 8AM - although our transport boat doesn't show up until 2PM - or we'd be charged an extra day.

As usual, they don't mention this stuff until you're out at sea.

At 50 years old, I was 10 years older than the oldest person on this boat - crew included. It became clear this dive company was for college kids who don't mind putting up with this stuff. The boat was packed with college kids and virtually no one over 30. That's why all the small-size wetsuits.

First dive: 6:00 AM. Second dive: 8:00 AM. Not my idea of fun. They ran out of some breakfast items in the galley by the time I got out of the water at 7:00AM

Also, 80CF tanks for everybody but me - I brought my own stuff which was DIN, and they had a couple of DIN tanks which happened to be 120. So I was lucky about that.

They also didn't have provisions for people who brought their own equipment, as there were no fresh water areas to rinse your stuff - I did it in the hotel room after I got off the boat. They had rinse buckets with 2" of water for wetsuit rinsing only.

Due to circumstances, I had to take this boat - take my word for it. It was the only one that fit a situation that's too long to get into. Next time, I won't take that dive buddy with me, so I'll go where I want.

So if you're a college kid and you want to dive cheaply, this is the place. If you're looking for a fantastic dive experience - everyone in Los Angeles recommended Mike Ball or Pro Dive.

Does anyone have a suggestion for mid range liveaboards? I would like to go with one that is not so pricey but still has safe diving, good food and times in the water. Someone told me that TAKA fit the bill but she was on the dive about 5 years ago. Any suggestions? I could leave from Cairns or Port Douglas or Cooktown.

I live and work in Cairns as an instructor, and can get discounts on some of the trips listed. Here is a link to my site where I put teh trips I have either worked on, or can personally recommend. May help save a few dollars for any of you wanting to travel.
Also drop me a line if yo have any questions as I would be happy to answer them.
Incidently Undersea Exlorer is no more, so sorry Blue Sun.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Discount dive travel to the Barrier Reef and Coral Sea - live aboard and day trips.

Cairns Discount Scuba Diving Trips - Great Barrier Reef

Thank you Kev.. I will keep in touch via email.

If anyone who has any recent TAKA experiences I would love to hear about them.

Does anyone have a suggestion for mid range liveaboards? I would like to go with one that is not so pricey but still has safe diving, good food and times in the water. Someone told me that TAKA fit the bill but she was on the dive about 5 years ago. Any suggestions? I could leave from Cairns or Port Douglas or Cooktown.

I just got back from a pro dive 3 day liveaboard and it was a great mid range operation. I would recommend them highly for the price. They leave from Cairns. If you go let me know which boat you take so you can say hi from me. The staff rocked. The sites varied from ok (first site was average coral wise) to great (Coral gardens), but that's not the operators fault, they can only go to the designated reefs. It's man and the crown of thorns that kills the reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom