The truth of U-869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If if this goes to show how much the public though of Gentiles book verses the "real" Shadow Divers"

The "real" Shadow Divers spent weeks on the NY Times Best Seller list/ranking and was on the shelf of every US bookstore in the leading sections.

Shadow Divers Exposed, you can't even find in most book stores.

If if this goes to show how much the public though of Gentiles book verses the "real" Shadow Divers"

The "real" Shadow Divers spent weeks on the NY Times Best Seller list/ranking and was on the shelf of every US bookstore in the leading sections.

Shadow Divers Exposed, you can't even find in most book stores.

That doesn't mean anything..... lots of fiction books are on NY Times Best Seller List.

BTW: I been told by someone who was there that many of Gary's points are valid.

I just thought he went overboard on some of the things he knit picked.

Lou,

Actually, books on the New York Times Bestseller List are divided into Fiction, and Non-Fiction. These are two completely separate lists. Shadow Divers was #2 on the NY Times Non Fiction Bestseller List. This is because it is a non fiction book. The #1 Non Fiction Bestseller at the time was Bill Clinton's autobiography, with the Monica Lewinsky story. If Richie had worn a blue dress, we might have been #1, but he didn't?

Anyone implying that Shadow Divers is Fiction, is a fictional book, or is a Fiction Bestseller, is either:

a) Totally ignorant of the way the publishing industry works, and has never heard of the New York Times.

b) Does not comprehend the actual meaning of the word "fiction", and is unable to use it properly in a sentence.

c) Has some sort of political agenda they are pursuing through intentional misrepresentation.

Before Random House or any legitimate publisher releases a book, it is reviewed by their lawyers, to make sure no one is libeled, as well as a team of Fact Checkers who call up people mentioned in the book and verify "facts". It also is reviewed by editors who polish the arrangement. This is all to make sure that what they are publishing is as accurate as possible, and will also meet quality standards.

For Shadow Divers, the Random House Fact Checkers called up me, Richie, my ex wife, Richie's ex wife, Belinda, guys I was in Vietnam with, Ashley Nagle, etc, etc, in order to verify what they call, "facts".

Self published books don't do any of that. Naturally, "facts" are less important?

As for any anonymous internet user, having an anonymous "someone who was there".... I have to ask, which "there" was he/she?

Were they there in my platoon in Vietnam? Were they there when we discovered the U-boat, or were they possibly there for "The Late Chuck Wine Forgotten U-boat Discovery Trip of 1988"? If this is the case, we already know they have issues with memory and being in touch?

Could they have been there, when we were doing CPR on Chris Rouse? Maybe they were right there, next to Richie, John Yurga and me, for the 6 years we were diving and researching the submarine? Maybe they were there when I was diving Lusitania, with Gary, and Britannic not with Gary? Perhaps they were there maybe once, on a boat, when we doing whatever we were doing?

If they were really "there", there, then they must be someone that knows me well, you know, like Gary? Maybe they were so "there" that Gary was satisfied interviewing your "someone", instead of Richie and me for his epic missive? By the way, which NY times category is that book in? Who could your "someone" possibly be, Lou? This is a real mystery? So mysterious that maybe they were there for 57 episodes of Deep Sea Detectives?

Just as an afterthought, if your secret someone describes "many" of Gary's points as "valid", then does he/she describe the rest of his points as intentional BS, or just typos? How about which ones are which? Just wondering?

This post was not reviewed by any fact checkers, lawyers, editors, divers, spouses, or military censors, prior to it's release. I am mostly responsible for some of the content.

Cheers

JC

That doesn't mean anything..... lots of fiction books are on NY Times Best Seller List.

BTW: I been told by someone who was there that many of Gary's points are valid.

I just thought he went overboard on some of the things he knit picked.

Well said John. Too bad you have to say this too many times.

Lou,

Actually, books on the New York Times Bestseller List are divided into Fiction, and Non-Fiction. These are two completely separate lists. Shadow Divers was #2 on the NY Times Non Fiction Bestseller List. This is because it is a non fiction book. The #1 Non Fiction Bestseller at the time was Bill Clinton's autobiography, with the Monica Lewinsky story. If Richie had worn a blue dress, we might have been #1, but he didn't?

Anyone implying that Shadow Divers is Fiction, is a fictional book, or is a Fiction Bestseller, is either:

a) Totally ignorant of the way the publishing industry works, and has never heard of the New York Times.

b) Does not comprehend the actual meaning of the word "fiction", and is unable to use it properly in a sentence.

c) Has some sort of political agenda they are pursuing through intentional misrepresentation.

Before Random House or any legitimate publisher releases a book, it is reviewed by their lawyers, to make sure no one is libeled, as well as a team of Fact Checkers who call up people mentioned in the book and verify "facts". It also is reviewed by editors who polish the arrangement. This is all to make sure that what they are publishing is as accurate as possible, and will also meet quality standards.

For Shadow Divers, the Random House Fact Checkers called up me, Richie, my ex wife, Richie's ex wife, Belinda, guys I was in Vietnam with, Ashley Nagle, etc, etc, in order to verify what they call, "facts".

Self published books don't do any of that. Naturally, "facts" are less important?

As for any anonymous internet user, having an anonymous "someone who was there".... I have to ask, which "there" was he/she?

Were they there in my platoon in Vietnam? Were they there when we discovered the U-boat, or were they possibly there for "The Late Chuck Wine Forgotten U-boat Discovery Trip of 1988"? If this is the case, we already know they have issues with memory and being in touch?

Could they have been there, when we were doing CPR on Chris Rouse? Maybe they were right there, next to Richie, John Yurga and me, for the 6 years we were diving and researching the submarine? Maybe they were there when I was diving Lusitania, with Gary, and Britannic not with Gary? Perhaps they were there maybe once, on a boat, when we doing whatever we were doing?

If they were really "there", there, then they must be someone that knows me well, you know, like Gary? Maybe they were so "there" that Gary was satisfied interviewing your "someone", instead of Richie and me for his epic missive? By the way, which NY times category is that book in? Who could your "someone" possibly be, Lou? This is a real mystery? So mysterious that maybe they were there for 57 episodes of Deep Sea Detectives?

Just as an afterthought, if your secret someone describes "many" of Gary's points as "valid", then does he/she describe the rest of his points as intentional BS, or just typos? How about which ones are which? Just wondering?

This post was not reviewed by any fact checkers, lawyers, editors, divers, spouses, or military censors, prior to it's release. I am mostly responsible for some of the content.

Cheers

JC

John, nicely written... ever consider writing as a profession?

Please don't loose this one... as I am sure you will need it again, and sadly again.

Just out of interest John, do you and Gary still speak after the publication of SDE?

It seems that you used to do a lot of diving together, but equally I suppose you are not exactly at the top of each other's Christmas card lists at the moment.

Also, any word on the long awaited Shadow Divers movie?

Thanks guys! I ordered both "Last Dive" and "Shadow Divers" today! I am looking forward to reading them both

Sean

I read Shadow Divers about two weeks ago. Opened it up and started reading it on Sunday morning and finished it by Sunday night. It is probably the first book I have read all the way through in one day for pleasure reading in over 20 years. I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt like I was there diving with these guys. I handed the book to my wife and told her she needed to read it. I'm still new, only 11 dives under my belt, but this book makes me want to keep learning, keep diving and to eventually explore the same wrecks that others have...and there is always that hint of a dream of finding a virgin wreck.

I haven't read SDE and I don't intend to. I have read some of GG's other books and enjoyed them very much but that particular book just has a funny smell to it.

Back
Top Bottom