The Thistlegorm, best wreck of the world ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

passeparici

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dove on the Thistlegorm this summer. It is really a splendid wreck. So many things to see. We did 3 dives there and it is barely enough to see it all. One of the dive was a night dive and that was even more astonishing. I recommend.
This wreck is known to be among one of the best of the world and I kind of agree (although I would have to dive many more to be so assertive
Here is a small video I made :

Also we dove on the Salem Express. It was also a very nice wreck but we did not get inside. Some are a bit nervous with the fact that it was an accident and there were many dead...

What that makes it stand appart is the fact that most of its original cargo is still there
Also the cargo is very interesting to see, not just boxes.

What that makes it stand appart is the fact that most of its original cargo is still there
Thistlegorm is still on my bucket list. Locomotives, motorcycles, trucks--amazing!

I agree, a very interesting dive site with a historical aspect to it. My friends and I did four dives on the Thistlegorm a few weeks ago, three day dives and one night dive. The first dive we went guided; the remaining dives we went unguided. I found the tanks, munitions, and locomotives to be highly interesting but somehow missed the Enfield rifles. Overall, I really enjoyed the dives.

It might have been interesting 30 or 40 years ago. Now it's stripped clean by idiot divers and damaged by boats mooring to the wreck every day... I think there are only 2 steering wheels left - and just because they are difficult to get to. It's still obviously a decent dive at a very accessible depth.

I think you would find much better wrecks either in the Baltics, Great Lakes or Bikini (all three on a personal bucket list).

What makes it the greatest?
Historically insignificant.
Badly damaged.
Constantly overcrowded.

It's not a bad dive in any sense, hundreds of divers that visit it every day are proof of that, but it's like calling a Disneyland ride the adventure of a lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom