the sweet spot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my qualm with deco dives is the time spent decompressing is sometimes 50% of bottom time

if I dive for 45 minutes
I cannot fathom spending 30 mins at deco

its just not for me

Off-topic maybe but this is the time I spend trying to photograph jellies or other floating organisms if I'm in open water on a drop or anchor line. When shore diving any critter walking / swimming / floating past me in the sand, works to get my photography skills up. Always lots to see in the sand when you stay still for a couple of minutes. Although when on wide angle it is different, maybe get a camera / video recorder and play around with it, passes the time.

You have to do respective courses on decompression FIRST.
There is NO short cut except to danger.
Various agencies have various courses to suit you.
You can cut short on decompression time if you opt for two deco mixes(50% and 100% O2) but that would put you to full tec course.
Equipment + courses is NOT cheap. You are looking at 4 set of 1st and 2nd stages + gauges. Don't want to mention dedicated tec computer on top! You can get away with deco dive soft ware but need two timers.
You are on a slippery slope.

Think carefully.

My main captain has his tech day trips, he calls us “tech weirdos”
I do five or ten or fifteen minutes, there's always something to do

full.jpg

I do most of them like this, shirt $19.00 shorts $7.00 on special

So not expensive at all

Something like 28/35 in my main tank and some 50 in the pony

Most of us far prefer bumbling around in 10-20-30 metres, fun in the sun
with the right mixes, basically permits me to surface anytime I would like

Now that's sweet

Firstly take Tech 40 (or whatever Intro Tech course your preferred agency offers) You'll learn the theory behind deco allowing you to make more informed decisions.

In normal times I organise non profit trips for friends to the far North of the Musandam once per month. We have deep walls and pinnacles there.

Most people are deco trained although we have a hard rule of 60 min dive time, people make their own informed decisions and gas choices to allow themselves to maximise the dive. Often we might be down at 40m+ at the Mola cleaning stations or on a deep ridge with Whale sharks etc, but that doesn't mean we're on long hangs - indeed long blue water hangs would be very foolish up there. Instead we manage our dive and depths, meaning at the end of the dive we'll have no more than 8 mins at the final stop.

It's formal knowledge which allows us to to this

Take a deco course then plan your dives to always have 15mins or less deco if that's your max. As simple as that. And definitely do advanced nitrox with your deco course. Massively extends bottom time for same deco obligation

All the posts above are telling you what course to take, I won't go into that.
You said you don't know what to do at deco stop, since you don't have nice walls to hang onto. What I like to do is to do a deco stop not hanging onto a buoy, but balancing myself with my breathing. No matter how clear the water looks, there is always something floating, to give you reference. You would be surprised how many interesting things are swiming right in front of your mask, just if you look for it.
Not to mention how easier is to breathe balance yourself during "normal" diving, once it becomes second nature.

You have to do respective courses on decompression FIRST.
There is NO short cut except to danger.
Various agencies have various courses to suit you.
You can cut short on decompression time if you opt for two deco mixes(50% and 100% O2) but that would put you to full tec course.
Equipment + courses is NOT cheap. You are looking at 4 set of 1st and 2nd stages + gauges. Don't want to mention dedicated tec computer on top! You can get away with deco dive soft ware but need two timers.
You are on a slippery slope.

Think carefully.

did I say I don't intend on getting certified?
did I imply I'm looking for short cuts?

I suggest you spend a minute to read the original post

Firstly take Tech 40 (or whatever Intro Tech course your preferred agency offers) You'll learn the theory behind deco allowing you to make more informed decisions.

In normal times I organise non profit trips for friends to the far North of the Musandam once per month. We have deep walls and pinnacles there.

Most people are deco trained although we have a hard rule of 60 min dive time, people make their own informed decisions and gas choices to allow themselves to maximise the dive. Often we might be down at 40m+ at the Mola cleaning stations or on a deep ridge with Whale sharks etc, but that doesn't mean we're on long hangs - indeed long blue water hangs would be very foolish up there. Instead we manage our dive and depths, meaning at the end of the dive we'll have no more than 8 mins at the final stop.

It's formal knowledge which allows us to to this

fellow neighbor

I'm glad someone from this region chimed in

I am wondering whether I should even take any advanced course when I know for a fact that I cannot fathom a 1:0.5 ratio of bottom time to decompression time

I've dived Khasab often and enjoy Ras Mohamed (that would be a really nice decompression dive) as theres plenty to see during the decompression stops

an hour of bottom time and eight minutes at the final stop (I'm assuming one or two more deeper stops?) sounds palatable

Take a deco course then plan your dives to always have 15mins or less deco if that's your max. As simple as that. And definitely do advanced nitrox with your deco course. Massively extends bottom time for same deco obligation

thats another positive way of framing the scenario

be certified but set one of the three variables (deco time in this case) to fifteen minutes

So I suppose the next question would be, how much bottom time at what depths (between 30 and 60 meters) would I achieve with a deco ceiling of fifteen minutes

Which I guess adds another facet of variables: gas mixes

fellow neighbor

I'm glad someone from this region chimed in

I am wondering whether I should even take any advanced course when I know for a fact that I cannot fathom a 1:0.5 ratio of bottom time to decompression time

I've dived Khasab often and enjoy Ras Mohamed (that would be a really nice decompression dive) as theres plenty to see during the decompression stops

an hour of bottom time and eight minutes at the final stop (I'm assuming one or two more deeper stops?) sounds palatable

Just take the class. Even if you don’t do the deeper dives, I’m sure you’ll learn something that might improve your diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom