The straw that broke the divers back.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in fact quite unhappy with the 25 lbs or so I've put on in the past few years and my lack of enthusiasm about getting on that treadmill on a regular schedule.

I most definitely do NOT like what I see in the mirror. And although it might work for YOU, I'm not going to "learn to like it". I'm going to work towards CHANGING it.

Good for you, doc. So work at it ... put that desire to constructive use.

I'm at a point in life where it's a constant struggle too ... two or three weeks away from the stationary bike and I pack on the pounds and lose the flexibility I need to be able to do the dives I want to do.

I know this ... I work at it constantly. And not always successfully.

But I don't judge who I am by who I don't want to be ... or by who somebody else is.

Motivation comes from positive energy, not negative. Dragging other people down doesn't make you better ... it only makes you look bad.

That's what I've been trying to tell you.

Good luck ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And if you follow the logic...... They are more likely to get in a wreck because they are less experienced and use poor judgement skill.

Absolutely true. Both in diving and in driving.

The less experienced are more likely to get themselves into trouble than the more experienced.

Absolutely true. Both in diving and in driving.

The less experienced are more likely to get themselves into trouble than the more experienced.

Ok so follow it on out. I know you can do it!

OK, I'll say it for you!

Young hardbodies generally have less experience and are more likely to get themselves into trouble.

Ok so follow it on out. I know you can do it!
OK, I'll say it for you!

Young hardbodies generally have less experience and are more likely to get themselves into trouble.

dmoore, I'm not sure where you're going with this, but I completely agree with you.

Young fit people generally have less experience and are more likely to get themselves in trouble. This applies to scuba diving, driving, and probably any other activity that requires some degree of skill that can only be obtained by experience with that activity.

So...?

Motivation comes from positive energy, not negative. Dragging other people down doesn't make you better ... it only makes you look bad.

That's what I've been trying to tell you.

Good luck ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob

You speak wise words.

Based on what you have written in response to my posts (for the most part), and the material I have read on your website, I can say that I would be more comfortable diving with you than diving Solo.

If I'm ever in the area I'll look you up.

dmoore, I'm not sure where you're going with this, but I completely agree with you.

Young fit people generally have less experience and are more likely to get themselves in trouble. This applies to scuba diving, driving, and probably any other activity that requires some degree of skill that can only be obtained by experience with that activity.

So...?

Originally Posted by idocsteve
and given the choice between two strangers, (dive experience and skill level unknown), one being an obese guy and the other a young slim attractive blonde, I'd choose the latter as a dive partner.

So...? which one is it that would be the best "safe diver".

So...? which one is it that would be the best "safe diver".

All things being considered, the older, more out of shape, experienced and skilled diver would be the best "safe" diver.

That much said I'd still choose the young, slim, attractive, and inexperienced blonde as my dive partner.

Thanks Bob

You speak wise words.

Based on what you have written in response to my posts (for the most part), and the material I have read on your website, I can say that I would be more comfortable diving with you than diving Solo.

If I'm ever in the area I'll look you up.

Thanks ... it would be my pleasure to dive with you.

As for the workouts ... what works for me is getting up in the morning and hitting the bike for 30 minutes first thing ... before my body has a chance to wake up and realize what I'm doing to it ... :shocked2:

It's not easy ... not nearly as easy as finding reasons not to. Trust me, I know. Sometimes it takes a humbling experience to find that motivation. I know that too. It's happened to me recently.

I've struggled with weight issues all my life ... I was born with a more than healthy appreciation for food. But I've always been able to control my weight with activity ... was a competitive weightlifter in college, always loved to play basketball, am an active skier and former ski instructor, played (disorganized) hockey for a while, and coached youth hockey for a few years ... and I've spent countless hours pounding trails in the mountains on both coasts. Those things were always more fun than sitting parked on a stationary cycle and peddling. But that's what I have to do now ... and the motivation's a lot harder.

I have found that you have to make it a routine ... something you do every day. Once it becomes a habit, it's easier. And you need short-term goals ... something that's achievable on a weekly or monthly basis. Once you reach that goal, make a new one.

As I said ... good luck ... for both of us ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

All things being considered, the older, more out of shape, experienced and skilled diver would be the best "safe" diver.

That much said I'd still choose the young, slim, attractive, and inexperienced blonde as my dive partner.

I rest may case.

This whole thread you have implied that the older, heavier diver is the one that is going to be more likely to be in trouble. Now you have admitted that is not necessarily the case. If you want to dive with the slim, more attractive, inexperienced blonde, OK. That's your choice. Fine. Just don't come out with a statement that overweight is going to be the less safe buddy.

Just don't come out with a statement that overweight is going to be the less safe buddy.

Ok, I won't.

I'll stand by a slightly revised and more detailed statement that all other things being equal (especially diving skills and experience), the overweight diver will be the less safe diver, and I will add that given a choice of two dive buddies, experience and skill level unknown; the older, overweight diver will probably be the safer choice of a dive buddy than an attractive young female, because the older diver has a greater chance of having more experience.

That much said I would choose the latter as my dive partner. Especially if she was single and it was not the last day of my diving vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom