The State of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... it took awhile to distinguish between incompetence and inexperience.
They are, at least symptomatically, the same thing; and are cured the same way, retraining.

Yes, sometimes the inexperienced are also competent and sometime the incompetent are also experienced.
... Does that speak to training or the individual? Could be either.
Sometimes, the individual shines through despite training faiures, but adequate training always shows.
On our trips, you're warned that if you harass marine life, your diving is over for the day. It should be that way everywhere, imho, especially for dive guides who should set the example not posture for tips with those who have too little respect or education that they would even consider grabbing wildlife.
Yes.

Around the time of my DM training I learned how to "palm" scorpionfish, but I believe it was an Instructor who showed me, not a DM. :)

... or maybe no hair at all.

I wear a Dee-rag when diving tropical because if I don't put something up there, the top of my head gets sunburned ... and it's just too damned hot for a hood ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

OK, I apologize. I didn't understand the problem. Shooting off my mouth. :(
To you too, Walter.

It's just so g-damn annoying. Maybe I'll start the "Let's just not suck at diving agency".
I'm in as well! Look, we are the guests in the underwater world. Is it tooooo much to ask that we act like it! Dam, we do enough damage to the world we do live in.

We keep on talking about, instructors, agencies and standards. But what about the divers? Can't they tell they don't know what they're doing? Don't they know they move through the water like monkeys on crack? It can't feel good, it sure doesn't look good, how can they not know they suck at diving?
It's not so hard to master some basic kicks, trim and bouyancy. Can't they tell that stupid bicycling isn't moving them through the water? It's painfully obvious that standing on the bottom (or coral) is a nearly impossible way to move.
I know Thal is snarking about "elite" but I'm not talking about any special skillls. I don't deco dive, overhead dive or exceed recreational limits. I dive a BCD with a single tank, just like the divers in the video. You know, basic, open water diving. But I can trim out, I don't use my hands and can move with economy of motion. I do it because it was obvious from my first "discover scuba ( Coz BTW) that diving well is the most satisfying way to dive.
Why don't they get it?
It's not the instructors fault. They can model, they can try to teach solid basics, but if these divers (and these are not students) don't care and can't tell they suck, it's not the agencies fault.
rant off.

AND- These people (and thousands(?) like them) are diving in the ocean. The ocean is full of the most graceful, beautiful creatures imaginable. Forget about the stars like dolphins and angelfish, the jellyfish are beautiful. These stupid, brainless creatures, one step above algae on the evolution charts are magnificent. Watch one move: it's literally magic. No instructor can model underwater movement better. Or come close.
But these divers just don't see it. And they don't care.
Hey, if you don't care; Take the snorkel trip. Put on the vest, look at the fishies (a reef is a miracle) and stay the hell away from the coral.
You're ruining the view for the rest of us.
thanks

We keep on talking about, instructors, agencies and standards. But what about the divers? Can't they tell they don't know what they're doing? Don't they know they move through the water like monkeys on crack? It can't feel good, it sure doesn't look good, how can they not know they suck at diving?
They really don't know; in all to many cases they look just like the "Pros" that taught them. Gear all awry, poor trim, silting kicks, hand sculling, etc.
It's not so hard to master some basic kicks, trim and bouyancy. Can't they tell that stupid bicycling isn't moving them through the water? It's painfully obvious that standing on the bottom (or coral) is a nearly impossible way to move.
If it is not so hard (and I know that it isn't, I agree with you there) then why are there so many divers out there who have not? Why are there so many "Pros" that are no better? Why?
I know Thal is snarking about "elite" but I'm not talking about any special skillls.
I'm no either, I was just pointing out that even in poodle vests those who are called "elite" divers would never look that crappy.
I don't deco dive, overhead dive or exceed recreational limits. I dive a BCD with a single tank, just like the divers in the video. You know, basic, open water diving. But I can trim out, I don't use my hands and can move with economy of motion. I do it because it was obvious from my first "discover scuba ( Coz BTW) that diving well is the most satisfying way to dive.
Guess you're an elite diver too.
Why don't they get it?
Because the do not know any better. That have not had good examples or good instruction.
It's not the instructors fault. They can model, they can try to teach solid basics, but if these divers (and these are not students) don't care and can't tell they suck, it's not the agencies fault.
rant off.
I doubt that their instructors modeled good diving, I doubt that their agencies demanded good diving when they were tested to become instructors. t appears that crap diving permeates the industry. Whose fault is that? The poor schleps that don't know any better?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom