The State of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the PADI Scuba Diver cert is pretty much just what you explained.

I believe the PADI Scuba Diver cert is pretty much just what you explained.

Right, SSI has the same cert. Unfortunately, I think many OW courses that are intended to turn out competent divers are turning out divers who are barely meeting the standards for the SCUBA Diver cert you mention.

A bit more background:
All divers in the video were OW certified and a couple were AOW. The dives were the woman's first after certification, but everyone else had been on multiple trips and most had been diving within days of the time the video was shot.

A bit more background:
All divers in the video were OW certified and a couple were AOW. The dives were the woman's first after certification, but everyone else had been on multiple trips and most had been diving within days of the time the video was shot.

Every few hours you reveal a bit more information about the diver's background. Did you know what responses you were looking for when you posted?

Dave,
What I found disturbing is that I could not identify the dive pro - you don't mean it was the bloke with the blue fins? The one who picked up the scorpionfish ? The bloke who picked up the scorpionfish was wearing what appeared to be a tag from all inclusive hotel.

So, who was the dive pro ?

Unfortunately, the card Bob's students earn and the one each of the divers in the video were issued don't make that distinction.

Ultimately, that's between you (or Bob, as instructors) and your agencies.

As an individual diver, I'm hypocritically taking advantage of those low standards by enjoying cheap and convenient dive ops everywhere I go.

Every few hours you reveal a bit more information about the diver's background. Did you know what responses you were looking for when you posted?

In all fairness to Dave, he did mention in the OP that he had edited the footage so we all knew we were seeing the worst bits of footage. I don't get the impression that there is some master agenda at work here.

Ok having watched the video numerous times, and having read every comment here, I am left with one important question.

What is the name of the song in the video? Very Catchy!

Every few hours you reveal a bit more information about the diver's background.
There's been some speculation and a few direct questions regarding the video, so I'm filling in what little I actually know regarding the background of the divers.

Did you know what responses you were looking for when you posted?
Of course. Doesn't everyone?

As an individual diver, I'm hypocritically taking advantage of those low standards by enjoying cheap and convenient dive ops everywhere I go.

Yeah, it's a market, for sure. I can't fault you or anyone for taking advantage of what's out there. I don't know that I can even fault the DM who hands scorpionfish to customers in an attempt to show them a good dive and in return, receive a good tip.

In all honesty, this thread wasn't about finding fault, but more to identify obvious issues and find out how prevalent they really are.

What is the name of the song in the video? Very Catchy!

"Good People"
The bloke who picked up the scorpionfish was wearing what appeared to be a tag from all inclusive hotel.

So, who was the dive pro ?

The tag is a dive park permit, we all wore them. That's the DM who hands the scorpionfish off, but I don't see much of them in the video.

Last edited:
That was probably me on my first dive trip ever... to Cozumel. The only difference in my mind was that I knew I was bad, had cruddy bouyancy control so I stayed a nice safe distance from other divers and the reef. It's easy to write-off this behavior as typical vacation diver, but I don't think that's fair to those of us that only dive on vacation and still try to get better. My buddy and I do drills on safety stops and hit an occasional shore dive just to practice drills. Every once in awhile we'll hit the pool to refresh a bit, especially if it's been more than 6 months between trips. It's going to take me a lot longer to become the diver I want/can be because I only dive once or twice a year on vacation, but at the same time I've developed decent trim and bouyancy, i practice my drills mask removal, reg retrieveal, air sharing & equipment removal/replacement.

I've got a lot of work to do, but you can become a better diver even if you only dive on vacation. In my mind these people are either brand new and some of the behavior is to be expected, or they just don't give a crap. I think you're going to find a higher percentage of "don't give a crap" divers in the vacation diver pool, but not all of us operate that way.

"We" can recognize "you." The issue isn't with divers who are trying, it's with (a) divers who've never been exposed to better skills, techniques and grace and (b) those that have but just don't care.

Any of us lamenting the average skill set of vacation divers will gladly assist a diver who's looking to improve. Keep at it.

Unless there's a QA inquiry here, I suggest putting your efforts into things you can control, like spending more time developing skills scarce in the dive industry:

Communication and writing skills, Education theory and classroom management, Inquiry followup, Time management and promptness, Thorough logistics and organization in detail, Developing effective protocol and procedure, Supervision and retail management knowledge, Improving swimming ability and fitness levels, and Training in peripheral areas like paramedic or lifeguard certification.

I've had seven instructors and none that excelled in any two of the above areas, so its statistically probable there's ample work to be done from your end, too...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom