The shopping gene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemistress once bubbled...
...And women who "hate shopping" at malls for clothes, but "don't mind shopping for" cameras and electronics equipment, or hanging out at home-improvement and office-supply stores -- you are shoppers!

I am NOT a shopper! I am a LOOKER. I hang out in dive shops, office and home improvements stores just looking at stuff. Have no desire for most of it, just checkin' it out!

But I guess you do have a point...just don't say it out loud, would ya? :wink:

Hard-core divers, take a look around your scuba storage room. How many BCs do you have? How many regs? Masks, fins, etc. The divers I know, particularly the men, want to be the FIRST to buy new equipment. Which is why they're always in hock to the LDS. The non-divers have their boats and their motorcycles and their guns and six bowling balls and 8-gazillion-dollar entertainment centers.

And women who "hate shopping" at malls for clothes, but "don't mind shopping for" cameras and electronics equipment, or hanging out at home-improvement and office-supply stores -- you are shoppers!

Eek! All this illogic makes my head hurt!

I agree w/ you Judy. Shopping is shopping, whether it's for purses and shoes or fishing reels and waders. It's still spending cash (or credit).

My husband spends just as much money on computer equipment, if not more, as I do on body lotions and perfumes!

Dee once bubbled...

I am NOT a shopper! I am a LOOKER. I hang out in dive shops, office and home improvements stores just looking at stuff. Have no desire for most of it, just checkin' it out!

But I guess you do have a point...just don't say it out loud, would ya? :wink:

LOL Dee......you crack me up!!

Thanks all, lots of interesting responses.

Apologies to anyone i offended, that was NOT my intent.

When possible i let the class duke it out to decide the class schedule and don't whine to them about what they come up with. Sometimes the schedule they want does not give us enough time to get the class done, so we have to dictate what the schedule will be. We let the students know up front, before the class, what the time constraints are. So if the schedule they chose means we are logging dives and doing paperwork at 9:00pm Sunday night, as happened last night, so be it. We won't cut corners for convenience, ain't gonna do it. I have a regular job to get to at 7:00am the next morning also so trying to get me to feel sorry for them doesn't work either.

And i think divemistress does have a point. I've accumulated boo-coup dive stuff over the years that i will probably never use again. I can browse in a well stocked dive store, maybe not for hours, but certainly longer than my non-diving girlfriend could stand. So maybe it's just about priorities. Although it is frustrating when the student has promised you their whole weekend and changes that midstream to meet some other need.

By the way the worst or best (however you want to put it) shopper i have ever seen is MALE and is a LDS owner. This guy can spend a whole afternoon in Coz shopping for one T-shirt. I know this by experience as i went to town with him once for this purpose. I was ready to slit my wrists after one hour and told him he was on his own after an hour and a half. He came back to the pool three hours later and had bought 12, count em, 12 T-shirts for himself. All i can say to that is WOW! I guess i just don't have that gene.

Gedunk, could the student's sudden urge to splurge be an attempt to stall for some reason? You know what they say, "When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping!"

kelpmermaid once bubbled...
Gedunk, could the student's sudden urge to splurge be an attempt to stall for some reason? You know what they say, "When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping!"

LOL! Could be, i stopped trying to figure out that urge long ago!

My read was that this student might be a little spoiled, and used to getting what she wanted, when she wanted it.

Funny thing is, she was a machine once she got underwater. She did great, had a blast & loved every minute of it. Just kinda complained the whole way before & after the diving. It is a bugger the first time you have to put on full 7mm exposure protection and the ballast that goes with it so i understand how she might have felt.

Then again maybe she was just peeved at me for interrupting that urge!:wink:

i do believe the evil shopping gene -- like santa claus -- exists :)

it's just such so wicked that it manifests itself in various forms: classic, ie women clothes-shopping at the mall; gear-happy, divers and bowlers gulping down the latest equipment; and eccentric, those with a passion for collecting 19th century tea sets.....

it sucks you in when you aren't looking -- suddenly your checking account is in the red and your credit cards are maxed out! (diving did that to me....) ;-0

dee has a good suggestion: if it's true that many of us are secret shoppers, acknowledge it quietly. JUST DON'T SAY IT OUT LOUD!!!

Judy

Who has bought -- and given away -- more snorkels (sp?) than she could use in a lifetime. Say....anyone need a couple of those Oceanmaster dry snokels? One in macho black, the other in girly green?

(PS: Gedunk, no offense taken nor intended.)

Say....anyone need a couple of those Oceanmaster dry snokels? One in macho black, the other in girly green?

Hey, Judy - can a girly girl wear a macho black snorkel? I'd love to be able to donate my basic tube snorkel (with only a purge valve - heaven forbid) to a needy relative :D But girly green just clashes with the rest of my "outfit."

And my only shopping gene goes to purchasing "toys" not clothes. When it comes to clothes shopping, I'm a shopper on a mission, not a lookie loo.

Unfortunately I think the clothes shopping gene would be cheaper.

Amber

I soooo have the shopping gene. I love to spend money on anything. I think that's why I started diving, I ran out of things I "Just had to have" Now I have a whole new selection of things to buy. I work at CompUSA and seem to go home with somthing new everyday. I could spend days in the book store or dive shop. But the grocery store and the office supply store hold just as much fasination. I know I am sick and need treatment, but I don't have time for that. Gotta get to the mall!

Jessica

Back
Top Bottom