The Shearwater Teric Announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those of you whining :D about having just purchased a Perdix, I’m buying one as soon as my house closes on 6/6. Hit me up on DM with you best price and let’s see if I can help you get a Teric.

Last edited:
The Garmin doesn't look like it has AI. Also, is the GF configurable? The main Garmin product page doesn't give much data or I didn't see it.

No, the Garmin Mk1 does not support AI or constant PO2, but the Mk1 does support multi-gas switching, Trimix and user configurable Gradient Factors.

Plenty of info here...

Garmin Descent Mk1

Last edited:
Why do we compare to Garmin Descent Mk1 ?

This is an excellent point. I've had both the Garmin Mk1 and the Shearwater Teric on my wrist (although not at the same time!) and from my perspective these are two very very different devices created out of two very different companies. It's temping to compare them because of the shape, but they really target two different types of consumers.

They are both wrist-watch form factor devices with support for sport and technical diving. Both can be worn as a daily time piece. Perhaps the easiest way to differentiate them is by considering their brands. The Garmin Descent Mk1 is from a company that is well respected for their powerful multi-activity sports watches and GPS devices. The Mk1 is based on Garmins' top of the line Fenix 5x smartwatch that includes GPS and a heart monitor along with additional support for SCUBA diving. The Shearwater Teric is from a company that is well respected by experienced divers for their dive computers. The Teric is based on an enhanced version of the powerful diving feature set of Shearwaters' top of the line Perdix AI with a new wrist-watch sized form factor that focuses on diving related features. The diving functionality of the Mk1 is new to Garmin and the compact form factor of the Teric is new to Shearwater.

This is an excellent point. I've had both the Garmin Mk1 and the Shearwater Teric on my wrist (although not at the same time!) and from my perspective these are two very very different devices created out of two very different companies. It's temping to compare them because of the shape, but they really target two different types of consumers.

They are both wrist-watch form factor devices with support for sport and technical diving. Both can be worn as a daily time piece. Perhaps the easiest way to differentiate them is by considering their brands. The Garmin Descent Mk1 is from a company that is well respected for their powerful multi-activity sports watches and GPS devices. The Mk1 is based on Garmins' top of the line Fenix 5x smartwatch that includes GPS and a heart monitor along with additional support for SCUBA diving. The Shearwater Teric is from a company that is well respected by experienced divers for their dive computers. The Teric is based on an enhanced version of the powerful diving feature set of Shearwaters' top of the line Perdix AI with a new wrist-watch sized form factor that focuses on diving related features. The diving functionality of the Mk1 is new to Garmin and the compact form factor of the Teric is new to Shearwater.
So... which is the better dive computer?:popcorn:

Only kidding - not looking for you to answer that :wink:!

@tcoen @Shearwater

While awaiting availability of the manual, did I understand correctly from the video that the GFs can be set with one of the presets or custom from the rec mode as well as the tec mode? I believe this would be a change from your other computers

By the looks of this i think it is a great product. The ability to change the watch face is on par with the newest watches out there like the Samsung G3. This most likely is just the tip of the iceberg of things to come. Great job Shearwater.

@tcoen @Shearwater

While awaiting availability of the manual, did I understand correctly from the video that the GFs can be set with one of the presets or custom from the rec mode as well as the tec mode? I believe this would be a change from your other computers
The perdix allows you to toggle GFs via a low, middle, and high conservative factor in rec mode.

Does this computer provide bar graph display of N2 loading of multiple tissue compartments like the Perdix does?

I was specifically inquiring whether custom GFs is available in rec mode, as it is in tec mode
Yes. Rec mode does have access to individually change GF Lo and GF Hi through the custom setting.

Does this computer provide bar graph display of N2 loading of multiple tissue compartments like the Perdix does?
It does not have the NDL/N2 loading graph that the Perdix Rec mode presents. Instead, you can optionally configure the home screen to show the Tissue Graph that tracks all 16 Buhlmann tissues. In the Perdix AI this tissue graph is available after pressing the right button 6 times starting at the home screen of the Rec mode.

Back
Top Bottom