The search for a dive buddy, and age as a factor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Treebag77

New
Reaction score
United Kingdom - Northumberland (Newcastle)
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello there, I have recently decided to return to diving now that time allows it, but unfortunately for me, my (ex)dive buddy no longer dives! so, two years down the line, I am planning on taking the PADI refresher, and have ran into a blockade; Finding a new buddy. The buddy finder on Scuba board, is great, but it has no one near me that has left any contact information.
I was hoping you kind water-folk could point me in the direction, or give me some advice on coming across a dive new buddy.

I believe I am also having such a hard time due to my age, I'm only 19 and I think this may be a put-off to many, perhaps believing younger divers would be immature or generally bad, clearly, there is nothing I can do about that, but I did not think there would be such a shortage of other young divers when the weather is this good.

So, in conclusion;

• Advice on finding a buddy
  • perhaps your own opinion on how the age of a diver impacts the dive
  • Links to other buddy finding services/apps

Thank you in advance, happy diving!

Jioin a BSAC/ SAA diving club.

A decent club has a range of divers from new to experienced. The sea does not care if you are 19 or 91 so age should not be a problem unless you like rap music or play golf in which case Lucifer awaits you :)

TIP: Older divers like a beer, some food and a nap - take care of that and you'll get on fine with everyone :)

Yep, join a club. Also, pop over to the dive forum. It's mainly UK divers.
i have very few dive buddies around my age (29). Most are 10-20+ years older than me, 1 or 2 younger than me. In the water, age doesn't matter. Hell, we even have a great time out of the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom