The Sand Boils Of Hillsborough County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

debajo agua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
While doing some research, I came across a site that listed "The Sand Boils" as a dive spot in Hillsborough County FL. I got the coordinates, but when I looked at the location on a Google maps, it appears as if this spot has dried up, or perhaps, never was? Has anybody ever heard of this place? Perhaps my GPS Coords are wrong?

The following two sites list it as a dive spot:

www.tampadiving.com/sections/diving/cave.../gmap_system.asp?ID

also

www.caveatlas.com/systems/system.asp?ID=277

Here's what I mapped out. The coords I got place it off Gallagher Rd. in Thonotosassa.
The Sand Boils.jpg

Any Ideas?

TIA

Its a cave dive brother, i bet all those small ponds are connected with the tunnels, pretty cool stuff.

If your looking for some fresh numbers i literally have thousands and don't mind sharing, just give me a depth, distance and home port, and ill give ya some to check out over pm just please don't share beyond that because i feed my family with these spots. :D

I believe you're right. Looking at maps, the surrounding area has a very perceivable line that connects the ponds:

sand boils 2.jpg

Since the water table has risen and fell to extremes over the past 20 years, I'm going to do a investigative drive-by. I found one map that showed a much larger pond at this location. I'm sure this is private property but I'm perplexed by it being listed as a dive site.

I appreciate the offer of new-to-me numbers. I'm always on the lookout for a new dive site to explore. There's many days, when I just want to get wet without the hassle/time that comes with a boat dive.

I believe you're right. Looking at maps, the surrounding area has a very perceivable line that connects the ponds:

Since the water table has risen and fell to extremes over the past 20 years, I'm going to do a investigative drive-by. I found one map that showed a much larger pond at this location. I'm sure this is private property but I'm perplexed by it being listed as a dive site.

I appreciate the offer of new-to-me numbers. I'm always on the lookout for a new dive site to explore. There's many days, when I just want to get wet without the hassle/time that comes with a boat dive.

I use sat images for my job (commercial roofing estimation) and find google earth to generally be the most current. With that being said hell yes check her out because you never know til you go lol.

I hear you on the shore dives too, ever hit the skyway? I used to go there all the time but don't much anymore, not very pretty but def full of fish.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2013 at 03:03 PM ----------

Got any decent spots off of Tarpon Springs?

Sure how deep?

Any update on this? Almost a Necro post but still interested if the OP went and checked it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom