The Rule of Thirds.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simplicimus once bubbled...
Rock bottom is ....
I'm with Simplicimus. Oh... is it cheating to look off of his test? :sorry:

Although the "Rule of third's" makes a lot of sense I haven't heard of it before. Is this taught by a particular agency or is it DIR? Should I as a PADI diver been taught this?

I am thinking that I might need to kick my instructor's butt?!

Thanks

Although the "Rule of third's" makes a lot of sense I haven't heard of it before. Is this taught by a particular agency or is it DIR? Should I as a PADI diver been taught this?

The rule of thirds goes way back before DIR was around...Sheck Exley (an early cave diving pioneer) wrote about it in his "Blueprint for Survival" in 1979, although I am sure it predates that work. PADI does teach the "rule of thirds", but to my knowledge only in the wreck specialty (and probably the ice and cavern too). Generally, the rule of thirds only applies to overhead environments where you cannot make a direct ascent to the surface. You weren't taught this in PADI open water because you are not supposed to be entering overhead environments at that stage in your diving career.

O-ring once bubbled...
The rule of thirds goes way back before DIR was around...
Everything that makes up DIR was around long before DIR was around. The WKPP didn't invent anything, they just pulled all the "best of the best" together.

Roak

O-ring once bubbled...
Generally, the rule of thirds only applies to overhead environments where you cannot make a direct ascent to the surface.

Very useful on shore dives as well... especially around/under kelp (quasi-overhead?) - now back to the quiz. I'm still learning all this stuff.

I would post, but, I think instead I will wait for the cheat sheet.

Chad

I happen to know another rule of thirsde-have a spare part for every three paople. rule of halves is have a spare part for every two people (for extremely complicated dives, or when there are just two divers).

Not many answered that one.

If I remember right, the rule of halves is for diving stages in a cave. breathing down each stage to half (+200psi?) before leaving it. the other half is breathed on the way back. backgas is for emergency/reserves.

Back
Top Bottom