The Rule of Thirds.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

...that old way of thinking is wrong.

An OOA does not necessitate immediately heading for the surface... and certainly not at 60fpm.... at least for the well trained and properly equipped recreational diver.

As is stated in "The Last Dive"..."Problems underwater need to be solved underwater."

Furthermore... the 15' *safety stop* is not something you need to omit (but rather replace to be even more progressive.)

A better proceedure is to always do a minimum deco of 1 minute 30',20',10' since all dives of any meaningful duration are in fact deco dives.

While I do not disagree that this logically seems to be a better procedure, do you have any information to back this claim up?

I need to answer your question better... the problem is... I am not a caver... but as I understand it the rule of thirds works since the path back is not always vertical and it takes the same amount of time going in as it does coming back out.

Cavers please correct me here.

decompression or ascent gas is not part of the thirds calculation. We use the rule of thirds such that it gives us twice the gas we need to get to our first stop. If there were no stops it would be just streight rule of thirds.

Good thread. The fact that divers are taught to watch their gauge as apposed to planning their gas usage is, IMO, wrong.

I guess that's why I use a LP 108 (not including any overfill)

- 30cf for safety,

still leaves 78cf for the dive. Hopefully my buddy also has a large tank...

PUG
In my last post I was addressing your question on the minimum amount of gas required to safely ascend from a 100 feet in an ooa siutuation.

yes I agree that i would add in a safety stop or what ever fashion of such that you beleive is best, and I would like to asscend at 30 feet per minute or even slower.

the querstion however asked for the minimum gs required to make it to the surface, so on a NDL dive using tables. then a safety stop would not be required. and I beleive that PADI tables are based on an asscent rate of 60/minute.

this i believe would be the minimum time to the surface, but if i was well trained, with a good buddy, then 1st off i wouldn't be in the situation but if i was then yes i could add in a bunch of safety factors

:dieputer: :sunny:

AquaTec once bubbled...
beleive that PADI tables are based on an asscent rate of 60/minute.

this i believe would be the minimum time to the surface, but if i was well trained, with a good buddy, then 1st off i wouldn't be in the situation but if i was then yes i could add in a bunch of safety factors
Doug.... you're gonna have to forgive me for doing this on top of your post buddy.... but.... sooner or later I had to get here:

We call it "Doing It Right" :D

Doug.... you're gonna have to forgive me for doing this on top of your post buddy.... but.... sooner or later I had to get here:

We call it "Doing It Right" :D

reffering you to another thread you just posted moments ago

DIR require ditchable weights?
No... I am not the spokesman for what is or isn't DIR

but thats ok, nothing wrong with being a spokesman for DIR. you do it well.

My point of all my threads here was simply sating that in an ooa situation the surface is fairly close [considering this subject thread only] and that you will survive and it is condoned by others to do a 60/min ascrent with no safety stop. this being an emergency with a Basic scuba diver involved.

This may be where GUE excells if they are turning out entry level divers with greater than average skills. if so then GUE divers should only dive with GUE divers, as the rest of the world is going to go right to the surface in a manner that their training has taught them. which i beleive all agencies say 60/min no safety stop required.

the rest of the world is going to go right to the surface in a manner that their training has taught them.

.... that is the state of things with most agencies today.

If you Train for Mediocrity... Expect Mediocrity....
And when you Acheive Mediocrity.... Boast of Mediocrity.

You are right... GUE excels...
But that is because they have raised the bar.

What others say is too difficult... GUE trained DIRf recreational divers do with ease... "blind folded" even.

There are always those who say it can't be done... even in the face of evidence that not only can it be done... it is being done.... by those who wanted more than mediocrity.

Back
Top Bottom