The Rivtow Lion Sank Today- Great Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curt McNamee

Contributor
Reaction score
The Rivtow Lion sank today about noon in Nanaimo. What a great experience to see her go down.

I was with Ian and Terry from Ocean Explorers and was able to dive the new wreck within an hour after she went down.

The bottom of the bow is at about 90' and the top of the stern 43' and the bottom of the 4 bladded bronze screw 71'. She is located in a protected bay just north of the boat harbor. The wreck is very interesting and set up for divers of any skill level. It is a nice wreck training site with no current, great visability and shallow.

This is a must to dive. Ocean Explorers is ready to take you there for a great experience: WWW.Oceanexplorersdiving.com.

I will post some pictures soon.

Cool!

How long does it take for "stuff" to start growing on a newly sunk ship? Do fish and other critters start calling it home right away?

I'm really hoping I can get up to Nanimo this summer, and this sounds like a nice easy wreck for me to try out.

Thanks,
Jason

Critters show up almost immediately. Once the bait finds it (often overnight) larger fish pull right in. The sessile benthic growth can take up to 3 years to fully develop in the GOM. I expect that will be speeded up a bit in the nutrient rich waters up there.

FT

I really have to recommend Nanaimo and in particular Ocean Explorers Diving. I was with them 2 week ago and we had a great time. They now have 3 wrecks to explore and some fantastic walls and reefs where the sea life is exceptional and visibility often 100' or more. Their diving is almost current free (except Orlibar Wall) and they will often return to the dock between dives as the big wrecks are only 15 minutes away. This gives them a chance to fill your tanks and you divers to hit Muddy Waters Pub and Restaurant next to the quay for a bite. They don't even mind if you take lunch still in your dry suit! The rooms are clean and start as low as $39.00 per night. For an easy and exciting cold water trip, try Nanaimo and be sure to book with Ian, Terry ,Arni and James at Ocean Explorers Diving! They really take great care of you. Check out their web site. http://www.oceanexplorersdiving.com Craig

Back
Top Bottom