The reefs in Bonaire are not dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will say upfront that there are a lot of places in the Caribbean that I have not dove on. Of the places I have dove, I’d say Bonaire is the best of what’s left.

In my own observations, I’d estimate that the majority (on average) of the reef surface in the Caribbean is coral skeletons covered in algae and encrusting sponges or tunicates. That doesn’t mean it’s not good to dive, or that you won’t see interesting things. But it does mean that if things continue on their current trajectory it won’t last. And yeah, I understand that even a healthy reef isn’t 100% live coral coverage. But reefs in the Caribbean are not healthy. In my mind, a “dead” reef doesn’t mean no life, it means not enough live coral to sustain the reef.

We’re already at the point where seeing a large healthy example of a coral is a standout moment in a dive. I am not claiming anyone on here has stated this, but seeing one big healthy elkhorn, or one big live pillar coral shouldn’t be celebrated, it should be recognized as the last vestige of what was. We shouldn’t just accept the state of things and happily swim along as an ecosystem slowly collapses.

I will say upfront that there are a lot of places in the Caribbean that I have not dove on. Of the places I have dove, I’d say Bonaire is the best of what’s left.

In my own observations, I’d estimate that the majority (on average) of the reef surface in the Caribbean is coral skeletons covered in algae and encrusting sponges or tunicates. That doesn’t mean it’s not good to dive, or that you won’t see interesting things. But it does mean that if things continue on their current trajectory it won’t last. And yeah, I understand that even a healthy reef isn’t 100% live coral coverage. But reefs in the Caribbean are not healthy. In my mind, a “dead” reef doesn’t mean no life, it means not enough live coral to sustain the reef.

We’re already at the point where seeing a large healthy example of a coral is a standout moment in a dive. I am not claiming anyone on here has stated this, but seeing one big healthy elkhorn, or one big live pillar coral shouldn’t be celebrated, it should be recognized as the last vestige of what was. We shouldn’t just accept the state of things and happily swim along as an ecosystem slowly collapses.
I just wish that there was more we could do about it. We can support environmental organizations financially and those who live in the right locations can do things like coral planting, but the situation, especially in the Caribbean, looks grim. Agree with you though, we can at least not act as if everything is fine.

This is a modified form of a post I made in another thread.....here to give it some visibility.

Yes, there are some dead corals in Bonaire....but only a few of the many in Bonaire; most corals in Bonaire have not been touched by SCTLD. Bonaire is in the Caribbean; there is SCTLD. Bonaire is in the Caribbean; there is bleaching. Most of the corals recover from the bleaching. Apparently none recover from SCTLD. But SCTLD does NOT kill all the corals, only some of the species.

Here is NOAA's list of SCTLD-affected species; I've added the common names:

Affected Species​

Highly Susceptible​

Colpophyllia natans (Boulder Brain) CNAT
Dendrogyra cylindrus (Pillar) DCYL
Dichocoenia stokesii (Elliptical Star)
Diploria labyrinthiformis (Brain)
Eusmilia fastigiata (Smooth Flower) EFAS
Meandrina meandrites (Maze) MMEA
Pseudodiploria strigosa (Symmetrical Brain) PSTR
Pseudodiploria clivosa (Knobby Brain)

Intermediately Susceptible​

Orbicella annularis (Mountainous Star) OANN
Orbicella faveolata
(Lobed Star) OFAV
Orbicella franksi (Boulder Star) OFAV
Montastraea cavernosa
(Great Star) MCAV
Solenastrea bournoni (Smooth Star)
Stephanocoenia intersepta (Blushing Star)
Siderastrea siderea (Massive Starlet)

Presumed Susceptible​

Agaricia agaricites (Lettuce)
Agaricia spp. (Saucer)
Mycetophyllia spp. (Cactus)
Madracis arenterna (Yellow Pencil)
Favia fragum (Golfball)
Helioseris cucullata (Sunray Lettuce)
Mussa angulosa (Spiny Flower)
Scolymia spp. (Artichoke, Disk, Mushroom)
Isophyllia spp. (Cactus)

Low Susceptibility/ Resistant​

Porites astreoides (Mustard Hill)
Porites porites (Clubtip Finger)
Porites divaricata (Thin Finger)
Porites furcata (Branched Finger)
Acropora palmata (Elkhorn)
Acropora cervicornis (staghorn)
Oculina spp. (Ivory)
Cladocora arbuscula (Tube)

The three species bold-faced in the list, along with Madracis mirabilis (Yellow Finger) and Undaria agaricites (Lettuce) (now called Agaricia agaricites) comprise 75% of the coral cover in Bonaire, from a 2018 report.

Note also that the NOAA list is for the Florida Reef Tract...not for Bonaire. According to an email I received from STINAPA late last year, the affected corals are: " ...it starts with the MMEA, followed by the EFAS, PSTR, CNAT and MCAV (these seem to hold on a bit longer), and then the DCYL as well as the ORBI (mostly OFRA and OFAV, not as much OANN), potentially AGAR as well." She is using the scientific shorthand for the latin coral names; I've transcribed those into the list above as well. You can readily see that Bonaire's corals are less affected than those in the Florida Reef Tract,

In short, Bonaire's corals are less affected than those in Florida, the most prevalent corals in Bonaire are not all affected.
At best, historically, Bonaire has about 50% coral cover, on average for the surveyed sites based on this report.
It is less now, but nowhere near "dead."

The reef is not dead. The sky is not falling.
Though I appreciate the educational input, I have to wonder, have you been to Bonaire recently? If you have seen it lately, you might well say that the sky is falling.

Agree with you though, we can at least not act as if everything is fine.
The point of this thread is to suggest we not act as if everything is dead. It is not, and it is unlikely do die.
Though I appreciate the educational input, I have to wonder, have you been to Bonaire recently? If you have seen it lately, you might well say that the sky is falling.
I have been to Bonaire at least once a year for the last 25 years, next trip in August. My point is that Yes, SCTLD whacked a bunch of corals, but not all of them...not even the majority of he species on Bonaire. Bleaching is cyclic, every year, some years worse than others, and most of the corals recover from that. Thoe who saw Bonaire at the worst of the bleaching and after SCTLD had doe its work, saw a lot of unhealthy and dead-forever coral. Interpreting that as the end of the world is hyperbole.

The good thing about corals, elkhorn, stag horn, pilars, brain, and others is that they can be grown, harvested, and out planted; we are actively doing it here on Bonaire and other organizations are doing it on other islands. While it takes years, even decades, for them to get to the size of what’s dying, it can and is being done. What we don’t know yet is how to help new growth from being less impacted by the warming seas and even disease.

I was here in Oct/Nov 2022 for 6 weeks and dove all over. Now here again, and in my untrained common-person point of view, I don't really notice much or any difference between this trip and the one right before SCTLD hit. I haven't done a ton of dives yet this trip, but so far: Cliff, Oil Slick, 1000 steps, Alice in Wonderland, White Slave. Cliff was my first dive, and I really didn't want to do it because I don't remember it being great, but Cliff Dive Friends said I had to, so I did, and it was better than I remember.

That said... I don't mind being alone here, so if everyone starts diving other places and it is just me here, I'm okay with that :wink:

I was here in Oct/Nov 2022 for 6 weeks and dove all over. Now here again, and in my untrained common-person point of view, I don't really notice much or any difference between this trip and the one right before SCTLD hit.
okay, must have been first day euphoria. Every day and dive since I have really noticed a big difference from 19 months ago. Still loving it, since I always care more about the animals than the plants, but it for sure isn't as great as it was. I do hope the number of animals don't decline, but probably they will for a period of time, bummer.

Yesterday I swam with an octopus and a turtle on the same dive (Angel City), so I'm happy. No turtles at Playa Franz this morning, but 3 huge eels swimming out in the open and one "oh crap" moment when I got closer to one than I thought. Still great.

okay, must have been first day euphoria. Every day and dive since I have really noticed a big difference from 19 months ago. Still loving it, since I always care more about the animals than the plants, but it for sure isn't as great as it was. I do hope the number of animals don't decline, but probably they will for a period of time, bummer.

Yesterday I swam with an octopus and a turtle on the same dive (Angel City), so I'm happy. No turtles at Playa Franz this morning, but 3 huge eels swimming out in the open and one "oh crap" moment when I got closer to one than I thought. Still great.
Indeed. Its different now, but still beautiful. I really miss the huge brain corals! Give Vista Blue a try. Still very lush down there!

@shopguy corals are animals too 😉

This is a modified form of a post I made in another thread.....here to give it some visibility.

Yes, there are some dead corals in Bonaire....but only a few of the many in Bonaire; most corals in Bonaire have not been touched by SCTLD. Bonaire is in the Caribbean; there is SCTLD. Bonaire is in the Caribbean; there is bleaching. Most of the corals recover from the bleaching. Apparently none recover from SCTLD. But SCTLD does NOT kill all the corals, only some of the species.

Here is NOAA's list of SCTLD-affected species; I've added the common names:

Affected Species​

Highly Susceptible​

Colpophyllia natans (Boulder Brain) CNAT
Dendrogyra cylindrus (Pillar) DCYL
Dichocoenia stokesii (Elliptical Star)
Diploria labyrinthiformis (Brain)
Eusmilia fastigiata (Smooth Flower) EFAS
Meandrina meandrites (Maze) MMEA
Pseudodiploria strigosa (Symmetrical Brain) PSTR
Pseudodiploria clivosa (Knobby Brain)

Intermediately Susceptible​

Orbicella annularis (Mountainous Star) OANN
Orbicella faveolata
(Lobed Star) OFAV
Orbicella franksi (Boulder Star) OFAV
Montastraea cavernosa
(Great Star) MCAV
Solenastrea bournoni (Smooth Star)
Stephanocoenia intersepta (Blushing Star)
Siderastrea siderea (Massive Starlet)

Presumed Susceptible​

Agaricia agaricites (Lettuce)
Agaricia spp. (Saucer)
Mycetophyllia spp. (Cactus)
Madracis arenterna (Yellow Pencil)
Favia fragum (Golfball)
Helioseris cucullata (Sunray Lettuce)
Mussa angulosa (Spiny Flower)
Scolymia spp. (Artichoke, Disk, Mushroom)
Isophyllia spp. (Cactus)

Low Susceptibility/ Resistant​

Porites astreoides (Mustard Hill)
Porites porites (Clubtip Finger)
Porites divaricata (Thin Finger)
Porites furcata (Branched Finger)
Acropora palmata (Elkhorn)
Acropora cervicornis (staghorn)
Oculina spp. (Ivory)
Cladocora arbuscula (Tube)

The three species bold-faced in the list, along with Madracis mirabilis (Yellow Finger) and Undaria agaricites (Lettuce) (now called Agaricia agaricites) comprise 75% of the coral cover in Bonaire, from a 2018 report.

Note also that the NOAA list is for the Florida Reef Tract...not for Bonaire. According to an email I received from STINAPA late last year, the affected corals are: " ...it starts with the MMEA, followed by the EFAS, PSTR, CNAT and MCAV (these seem to hold on a bit longer), and then the DCYL as well as the ORBI (mostly OFRA and OFAV, not as much OANN), potentially AGAR as well." She is using the scientific shorthand for the latin coral names; I've transcribed those into the list above as well. You can readily see that Bonaire's corals are less affected than those in the Florida Reef Tract,

In short, Bonaire's corals are less affected than those in Florida, the most prevalent corals in Bonaire are not all affected.
At best, historically, Bonaire has about 50% coral cover, on average for the surveyed sites based on this report.
It is less now, but nowhere near "dead."

The reef is not dead. The sky is not falling.
I would have to disagree. We just got back from a 6 week trip diving in the Dutch Caribbean. In general we were shocked at the lack of life in the Dutch Caribbean (vs the other 34 countries we have dived). Bonaire was definitely the worst for coral disease especially the northern sites (1000 steps, kaparta). It was so depressing, that we cut a couple of dives short. Curacao was not in great shape either. We met several Canadian couples who’ve been diving Bonaire for years and now won’t go back.
What astounded us was the lack of people talking about it in the dive shops. If Bonaire is serious about protecting the environment they need to shut down more dive sites. They need to do what Malaysia does with Sipadan and the Philippines did with Boracay. The problem is it seems like the Caribbean just chases $$ (evident with the damage the cruise and oil industry has already done). I wanted to do a trip to the French Caribbean, but to be honest I don’t think it’s worth it, as there are too many other places in the world to explore that aren’t destroyed…yet.

Back
Top Bottom