How are the reefs in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krazyskier, the locals will say anything. How can the reefs be getting "better and better" with increased diver pressure, pollution, fishing, bleaching and eutrification? I'm no biologist but I've been going to Bonaire for the past 13 years and have noticed a slow inexerable decline each visit. The fish diversity may still be good but the corals have visibly deteriorated. There are areas on Klein that are now just rubble where there was healthy coral in the past. Town, pier, which was one of the great dives in the Carribean, was wiped out by a hurricane.

Krazyskier, the locals will say anything. How can the reefs be getting "better and better" with increased diver pressure, pollution, fishing, bleaching and eutrification? I'm no biologist but I've been going to Bonaire for the past 13 years and have noticed a slow inexerable decline each visit. The fish diversity may still be good but the corals have visibly deteriorated. There are areas on Klein that are now just rubble where there was healthy coral in the past. Town, pier, which was one of the great dives in the Carribean, was wiped out by a hurricane.

And don't ask about the dengue situation , It is all but impossible to get a true read on actual cases etc . , It is the main reason I have not been back after getting hit in 09 .

The assertion that "the locals will say anything" is a gross generalization at best. I'm pretty sure that the paraphrased collective quote that some locals feel "the reefs are getting better and better every year" means that they've observed that the reefs are healthier today than they have been at other times in recent years. I'm not a local, but I've been visiting Bonaire for 16 years and I too think things are looking up.

Shallow water hard and soft corals are slowly recovering from wave damage due to hurricanes Lenny (1999) and Omar (2008). This wave damage is also the primary source of the "rubble" found on Bonaire and Klein Bonaire. Sea fans and other soft corals are returning to the reef drop-offs. Staghorn and elkhorn hard corals are growing again. Buddy Dive's coral nursery and collaboration with the the Coral Reef Foundation have been a great help to this end. Sewage treatment facilities have been built and are replacing the practice of dumping raw sewage in open pits. Plastic, paper, metal, glass, and batteries are now being recycled instead of being dumped into pits. Red algae and coral bleaching continue to be a problem, but it remains to be seen whether the underlying cause of this is local or global. Personally I think the reef impact from divers is generally negligible compared to the other stressors mentioned. I'm no scientist but I see no detectable diver-caused differences between reef health on oft-dived sites (like Bari Reef or 1000 Steps) and seldom-dived sites (such as several unmarked southern and northern sites.)

Town Pier wasn't "wiped out" by a hurricane. Some of the piling were damaged by waves generated by Omar in 2008 and were repaired shortly afterwards. Town Pier remains closed to diving due to increased cruise ship traffic and post 9/11 security measures required by US Coast Guard regulations to keep the port open for US-based vessels. The pier itself was hosting a healthy variety of reef life less than a year after the damage from Omar. See this link for more info and photos.

Reef life on Bonaire isn't perfect, but it's Pretty Damned Good and trending better and better in my book. But hey... I'll say anything.

And don't ask about the dengue situation , It is all but impossible to get a true read on actual cases etc . , It is the main reason I have not been back after getting hit in 09 .

:confused: What is the point of this comment in context to the discussion in this thread? Is this a continuation of "the locals will say anything" theme, perhaps implying there's some sort of cover-up etc. by Bonaireans regarding dengue?

It's no secret that Bonaire has mosquitoes, including dengue-carrying Aedes aegypti. Dengue Fever and Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever aren't required to be reported to the government by law, so it's not surprising that it's tough to get a true read on actual number of cases... even if all cases were diagnosed by medical professionals, which they aren't. Bonaireans obviously get dengue fever too. Many of them can't afford screened windows or insect repellent with DEET... or afford to live elsewhere.

What I meant was that some people will exaggerate in order to lure unsuspecting tourists.
I've been to Bonaire every year for the past 13 and in my opinion, the reefs now are not what they were then. The decrease in sewage, recycling and conservation laws may be decreasing the rate of decline and the coral nursery might have impact someday but I think the reefs have deteriorated.

Despite that, I agree that Bonaire is still pretty damned good which is why I keep returning. When you add up the diving, the people, the ambiance and the fusion cuisine, Bonaire is still a very desirable destination but, it ain't what it used to be. That's all I'm saying.

I agree whole heartedly with Doctorfish . I still have Bonaire on my list . It is true anywhere they will tell you the Reefs are great , No Crime , No Bugs No Tropical Disease !
Local promotion is to be expected .
Only one Bonaire regular replied to a thread where I asked locals about dengue . No other replies . Apparently Dengue was bad at the time . I went to Grand Turk instead that year as I am a little gunshy about another bout with the disease .
It is a lot more than "flu-like symptoms" so unless you have had a hit do not criticize those of us who have for trying to find out conditions at possible destinations .
I like Bonaire a lot but some people wear blinders when promoting the place .

Sorry for any confusion. I wasn't criticizing you for trying to find out whether dengue was present on Bonaire before you visited. I was criticizing you for insinuating that local officials or residents won't acknowledge dengue is endemic to Bonaire... and for slipping this insinuation in as an offhand comment in a thread on a completely different topic. Dengue awareness activities are prevalent on Bonaire, including in local newspapers and on roadside billboards. Your expectation that "locals" should have replied to your dengue inquiry in an internet forum is unrealistic. A better strategy would be to Google for "dengue Bonaire" or similar and find websites like this. Heck, there's even a Stop Dengue Bonaire group on Facebook now.

Whether I've experienced dengue fever or not isn't germane to this discussion.

The reefs are healthy and there are tons of fish...visibility is extremely good and the temperature excellent.......It has over 60 dive sites and therefore the dive sites are not crowded. You should definitely come and check it out for yourself. Bonaire diving is stunning!

Yes, we are local in the sense that we live here and are we biased? I guess so......but we have seen all islands in the Caribbean, we have sailed around the world and saw many diving places and countries, and we still came back to Bonaire. Why? The locals are friendly, it is a safe place, the water and its diving are stunning. And yes, we do have the dengue mosquito, but you can also take some precautions yourself.....We have lived for over 25 years in Curacao and Bonaire...Duncan never got bitten and I once......But there is no reason for us to move elsewhere.......We love it here!

I was in Bonaire July 20 through July 27. It was my first trip to Bonaire and I enjoyed it, and will go back. In fact we were there at the same time, and stayed at the same place as diver 85.
There are several Bonaire trip reviews in the Bonaire forum. The reefs that we dived looked healthy, and I did not hear anyone in our group of 18 say anything otherwise.
As wwguy said you can still see damage caused by the storms in 1999, & 2008. Then again I can see damage from the storms that have hit Cozumel since my first trip there in 1995.

As to Dengue, essentially every island and country in and around the Caribbean poses a risk of the disease to travelers. Risk will be higher when it is wet. Relative to many Caribbean locales, Bonaire dries very rapidly, but obviously not when there is persistent rain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom