the pros and cons of retractors...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krick

Registered
Reaction score
From what I read on the boards, a lot of people really don't care for retractors.

I'm new to scuba and just purchased my own equipment.
After dealing with rental equipment in class and fumbling to clip and unclip equipment underwater, the whole retractor idea seems like a good idea to me.

Can anybody tell me exactly WHY they don't like them?

Or, if you DO like them...
What kind/brand to you recommend?
What's the best way to attach them to your BC, computer and other equipment?

krick:
From what I read on the boards, a lot of people really don't care for retractors.

After dealing with rental equipment in class and fumbling to clip and unclip equipment underwater, the whole retractor idea seems like a good idea to me.

Like you, I had a lot of problems dealing with my gear in OW class. For the first couple of months I dove with retractors and bungies all over me. They seemed to be handy for keeping track of things. At least that's what I had convinced myself of.

Once I started talking to more experienced divers and saw the lack of such devices on their gear, I started asking questions about why that was. They gave me some decent answers.

One was that they are an entanglement problem, therefore a hazard. While you as a new diver should not be diving in areas where that could be a concern, it can still happen.

Second was they are not quite as neat and tidy as I had thought. In reality, I quickly realized that when swimming, everything seemed to jumble together.

Lastly, I switched from the standard BC to a BP/W setup. Not because I want to go tech diving right now, although I can see it in my future, but because I like the comfort and simplicity it offers.

I now only have one retractor and that is on my compass. It came with the retractor built into it. I will figure out a way to put it on my wrist some day, but, since I have the whole thing tied down to my harness, it does not dangle and therefore is not an entanglement hazard.

I have found that I am much more comfortable diving now without all the retractors and bungies hanging all over the place.

Oh, forgot to say, I've been diving now for about 3 1/2 months and have just over 40 dives. Basically, I love this hobby. I do not call it a sport because it is not a competition to me.

Hope I helped a bit.

Brian

I like my retractor, I have a Suunto cobra with compass and it keeps it just where I want it. Get one that doesn't have the burred screws on the back so you can fix it.

I put my bottom timer on my right wrist. Compass on the left SPG clipped to my left hip. Wet note are in my pocket. Backup lights are tied clipped to my shoulder d-ring and tied down flat. Nice and clean with no need for a retractor.

Like MF, you dont need them get shorter hoses and stuff but dont try to fix the clutter w/ more clutter. besides they cost $$ maybe not alot but like I said before you dont even need them, so why pay?

they don't really simplify anything. I had one for awhile, but even a retractor hangs down about 6-8". I'm now diving bp/wing with a SS boltsnap and honestly, it's never been an issue clipping it off. So happy now finally being streamlined.

I decided against using retactors for the reasons covered above. My guage console is the only thing I would need one for and have always prefered to tuck it into my BCD waist strap. However, I have switched to another BCD and the tucked console is less accessible/comfortable now. I had decided to clip it onto my waist using a gated carabiner style clip until I came across the magna clips. To reduce the length and simplify, I will cut off all the lanyards and webbing and zip tie the two magnets, one to my left hip D-ring and the other to my console. They are strong magnets and I like that I don't have to fumble with a clip to reattach. I'm sure with a little practice the regular clips are no problem but the magna clips seem like a good idea. Anyone know of any issues with having magnets close to a dive computer or guages?

Kupu:
I decided against using retactors for the reasons covered above. My guage console is the only thing I would need one for and have always prefered to tuck it into my BCD waist strap. However, I have switched to another BCD and the tucked console is less accessible/comfortable now. I had decided to clip it onto my waist using a gated carabiner style clip until I came across the magna clips. To reduce the length and simplify, I will cut off all the lanyards and webbing and zip tie the two magnets, one to my left hip D-ring and the other to my console. They are strong magnets and I like that I don't have to fumble with a clip to reattach. I'm sure with a little practice the regular clips are no problem but the magna clips seem like a good idea. Anyone know of any issues with having magnets close to a dive computer or guages?

Do you have a compass on your computer? I have the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 Navcon and if I zip-tie a large steel bolt clip to the side, it affects the compass (brass is ok). I'm sure magnets would be a definite no-no.

krick:
Do you have a compass on your computer? I have the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 Navcon and if I zip-tie a large steel bolt clip to the side, it affects the compass (brass is ok). I'm sure magnets would be a definite no-no.

Wrist mount compass when I need it. Probably far enough away to not be affected but still....to close for comfort. Thanks for the reply, looks like my vote will be going to the clip method vs retractors.

krick:

Hi,

I have used retractors and now have them in the closet rather than in the water.

When I first started diving retractors and springy cords looked like a really good idea! I got several and was happy with them, but they presented me with new nagging little problems.

First I will describe my old setup...

2 Springy cords with buckles to keep them close, and when un-buckled about 2 feet of springy cord.
One of these was for my console (SPG, and anaolg depth guage), the other for my 8 D-Cell light.

2 Retractors, one for a combo Slate/Compass, and the other for my computer.

On all of the dives with this setup I never became entangled with anything that was in the ocean before I jumped in, but I would often get entangled with my own gear. All of that crap hanging off of me was more than likely to snag on something else clipped to me.

Now my rig is much more streamlined...

Computers on each wrist, the one on the right wrist has a compass mounted on the same strap. A curved slate on my left arm (as I am right handed) closer to the elbow than the computer. Small SPG with a bolt snap on my left clipped down low at the bottom of the BC. Cannister light on the left with the light head either in my hand, clipped to a D ring on my left shoulder, or on my left hand with a goodman handle depending on what is appropriate for the dive.

My Octopus used to hang in a "Bulb" type holder on the lower right of the triangle but now is held in place on an elastic neckalce just below my chin at the top of the triangle. My backup light is neatly tucked away on my left chest strap with a bolt clip holding on to a D-Ring and the body of the light held in place with a piece of bicycle tire inner tube. Many thanks to Rick Murcar for helping me to clean up my rig, he was my instructor for my Advanced Nitrox / Decompression Procedures class. It took almost no time to adjust to these changes, the only item where I have noticed the change was the necklace, but I have always made it part of the routine. Every few minutes, Tank Pressure, Depth, Elapsed Bottom Time, Time Remaining on Plan, Time Remaining on Computer, Touch the Octo. I always used to touch the Octo because in the bulb it would occasionally become dislodged, so I would find it and put it back in the bulb (usually it was out because some piece of the crap clipped to me had knocked it out).

Remember, when you think somthing is streamlined because it is on a retractor, take a step back from the problem and look at the total length from the D-Ring on your BC all the way to the end of whatever you are putting on the retractor. Do this with the retractor fully "in" I will bet it is still several inches. That is not streamlined.

Dive safe,

Mark Vlahos

Back
Top Bottom