The pony taboo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My point is that what is the big taboo about carrying a pony?
I don't accept your premise. At least in my part of the country, I have never heard any diver being berated for carrying a pony. In fact lots of divers carry them, around here. There is a guy around here that makes a lot of money selling a very popular pony bottle bracket.

I carry a 13cuft pony. If anything, I get hassled about why I don't carry a bigger one.

I have not read all the responses and personally I now dive with twin sets with the standard technical rig etc. However for 7 years or so, I always dived with a 15 litre and a 3 litre pony in depths generally around the 30meter mark, but also extended those depths at times to 55meters. In hindsight, that did not equate to the rule of thirds as a reserve for the deeper depths. However, I used to consider that as long as i had an independent gas supply, that would at least give me time. Provided you do not have severe amounts of deco, it would be sufficient to get back to the surface.

My buddy and I only ever saw the pony as a last resort scenario. I have never relied on anyone else helping me out as we dive on the SE coast of england where visibility except during the 2 summer months is around 1 - 2m and this week its about 4 inches....with a torch. So despite being attached via lines, you would never find one another in time.

Ponies are used quite alote in England. I would not however go back to that system now i'm used to the tech rig and redundancy and regulator shutdown ability.

I trust my ramblings are of some use?

Cheers
Mike

I've done most of my diving in Vancouver Canada. I use a 98lb steel tank with a 13litre pony bottle strapped to it, always. (A buddy I can trust) I started doing this when I was DMing Open Water classes and realized in the low vis, at the back, where I was, I was pretty much on my own. No one ever laughs at it on the Cold West Coast. I wish I could travel with it easily. And next trip, based on my experiences last trip, I'm going to figure out how to get my pony on the plane. So, let them laugh. You'll definitely have the last one...

And on the tech note. It's full, it's pressurized and the reg is attached front and centre on my BC. If I need my best buddy she's close.

AND....you aren't as tired after you get to where you are going.
nitrox works in tires as well. they don't wear out as fast and you go longer between fills.

Here in the SF/Monterey area, I dive exclusively in doubles even in recreational dives. I see no need to go back to singles.

Of course the best solution is to plan your dive and watch and know what your gas consumption is. It's generally a good rule of thumb to dive 1/3 of your gas out, 1/3 in and 1/3 left over for emergencies. It would be poor diving practice to end up sucking any tank dry just because you forget to check your pressure. Then needing a pony to bail you out.

When I travel and do not plan on doing any technical diving, I bring my single tank rig and carry along a stage bottle kit. I breathe off of my stage bottle (an 80 cu ft Aluminum tank) and use that for my entire dive. The single tank on my back is never used and is used only in an emergency. Breathing down the stage bottle first give you the flexibility to get rid of that bottle if needed and you then still have a full 80 cu ft tank on your back. Some tech training may be needed to dive this rig though.

Here's a video of my recreational dive on the Spiegel Grove last year. It's a recreational dive at 85' and personally I just dont' feel very comfortable only having one tank with me on just about any dive.

YouTube - Doc Wong Spiegel Grove Shipwreck Scuba Dive

Here in the SF/Monterey area, I dive exclusively in doubles even in recreational dives. I see no need to go back to singles.

Of course the best solution is to plan your dive and watch and know what your gas consumption is. It's generally a good rule of thumb to dive 1/3 of your gas out, 1/3 in and 1/3 left over for emergencies. It would be poor diving practice to end up sucking any tank dry just because you forget to check your pressure. Then needing a pony to bail you out.

To me doubles are a bit overkill for many of the shallow (60-80 ft.) shore dives on the coast of BC. While good dive planning is paramount the ability to put myself in a position where I carry enough air to get myself back to the surface safely regardless of the reason for an out of air emergency. The rule of thirds as developed by Scheck Exley works perfectly for air management but is based on having a buddy to share air with. That's where the thirds come in. It does not cover any out of air situation when your buddy is not right beside you. It also relies on a buddy who you trust your life with. My life trusting buddy is called "Pony". I've dove with my pony for almost five years now and I've never needed it. It's still there. Doesn't add much to my set-up and reduces the amount of lead I dive with.

When I travel and do not plan on doing any technical diving, I bring my single tank rig and carry along a stage bottle kit. I breathe off of my stage bottle (an 80 cu ft Aluminum tank) and use that for my entire dive. The single tank on my back is never used and is used only in an emergency. Breathing down the stage bottle first give you the flexibility to get rid of that bottle if needed and you then still have a full 80 cu ft tank on your back. Some tech training may be needed to dive this rig though.

Here's a video of my recreational dive on the Spiegel Grove last year. It's a recreational dive at 85' and personally I just dont' feel very comfortable only having one tank with me on just about any dive.

YouTube - Doc Wong Spiegel Grove Shipwreck Scuba Dive

Nice video. Maybe you should start a thread on the merits of a continuous guideline when doing wreck penetration. I did not notice one in the video.

John

Nitrox in tires......there is very little difference between the actual mileage between a tire with nitrogen and a tire with air. The money spent on nitrogen is a waste, as the same procedures have to be followed....make sure the proper pressure is in tires at all time. Testing shows that there is little difference if any....not to hijack this thread, but ......check out Nitrogen for Tires: FAQ

As for myself, I also dive nitrox, and dive with a pony, as does my wife. Especially cold diving, wont dive without it. A little extra precaution against the unforseen.

I can't put my hand out the window and stop a car from slamming into me.

You can't?? Then that isn't you in your avatar? It looks like he could.:D

As for pony bottles, I have one, and I like it. I can be a very attentive buddy, but often I dive with those who are not. I am also a photographer and there are times when I am not a very good buddy. Depends on the dive. I also dive solo once in a blue moon.

Bottom line, the buddy system works if you and your buddy want it to. You have to have a good relationship with your buddy, and on vacation you may be essentially solo.
Doubles work, but are also alot of work. And alot of expense. And you are hard pressed to bring them on vacation with you.
Pony bottles work so long as they are big enough for the depth you are at. They are easy to dive every dive, and can be brought on most trips, only a few places have weight restrictions so tight you couldn't take it with you. Although that may be a changin.

All the above methods are great redundant air, but not a single method is best in all circumstances. You need to choose your gear config based on the dive you are doing.

The details on my config, a 19 cu/ft which is big enough for me to get from 130FT to the surface with a safety stop. I keep it slung on my left side, pressurized but off, with the reg bungied to the bottle.

If someone wants to laugh, I can always unclip it and bash them upside the head. That tends to shut em up quick:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom