The Philosophy of Diver Training

Initial Diver Training

• Divers should be trained to be dependent on a DM/Instructor

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Divers should be trained to dive independently.

Votes: 79 96.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good friends (at least guys do) call each other lots of things in jest and good natured ribbing ... often to the horror of unknowing standerbys :D

Pete, precision and finesse are not mutually exclusive. By the way, there were 3,000 teeth in that container and it was a plastic Quick container, not a jar. LOL!!!!!!!!

NetDoc:
He HAD to correct me and he missed my point in doing so.

I didn't HAVE to correct you. I only did so because of your earlier picky post about NAUI swimming requirements. I didn't miss your point, I just didn't comment on it until a later post.

NetDoc:
I am looking for a finished product. How we get there is not as important as what we produce.

Me too. We just happen to disagree over what is an acceptable finished product.

NetDoc:
Walter finds comfort in his standards.

Not really. I do find comfort in using standards with with I can agree and use without feeling I'm being unethical. If I were to use any set of standards with which I philosophically disagreed, I would feel I was being unethical.

Diver0001:
I didn't know the standard had been increased

I wouldn't think a recommendation could be called a standard. If the recommendation were 100 hours and .00001% followed that recommendation, 5% used 40 hours, 10% used 20 hours and the rest used less than 5 hours, would we consider 100 hours the standard?

Yeah. I didn't know the standard had been increased :wink:

I would agree with Walter that the change from a minimum of 27 training hours (required) to "no minimum number of hours required" (31 hours recommended) is not an increase. Like you said, after you made your comment: "Either way I think we've beaten this until it bleeds. Let's move on now, shall we?"

Pete, precision and finesse are not mutually exclusive. By the way, there were 3,000 teeth in that container and it was a plastic Quick container, not a jar. LOL!!!!!!!! I didn't HAVE to correct you.
Actually, I knew it had 3,000 and I also knew that you would HAVE to correct me. :rofl3: The number of teeth in that plastic jar was not the point. That you felt compelled to count them TWICE was the only salient part of that anecdote. You were precise when you counted them the first time, but you became anal the second time unless there were a compelling reason to be so redundantly precise (recipe, etc).
I only did so because of your earlier picky post about NAUI swimming requirements. I didn't miss your point, I just didn't comment on it until a later post.
Shenanigans! Picky is as picky does. or you can't see the shark for the teeth! Which is pickier? That a 200+ yard swimming requirement had been reduced to merely a dozen strokes, or that I said 6 instead of 12? The first does not support the isolation of PADI as the only agency with standards issues. The second diverts attention from the real point: Lumping disparate agencies together in order to isolate PADI is just another form of bashing PADI.
Me too. We just happen to disagree over what is an acceptable finished product.
I disagree here. We both have similar ideas about what a good diver should look like, and you have even complemented me on the skills of one of my students. We differ in the roads we take to get to Rome. You want one long journey and I want to make a lot of stops on the way as I like to smell the roses. You measure your travel in miles, and I go for the vistas and the gardens on the way.
Not really. I do find comfort in using standards with with I can agree and use without feeling I'm being unethical. If I were to use any set of standards with which I philosophically disagreed, I would feel I was being unethical.
No one would want you to be unethical. Just make allowances that others operate differently than you. You're a diesel, plodding along to get there. Others are using gas to get there a bit quicker and without all your baggage. Which is better? Well, I wouldn't put diesel in a gas engine and vice versa. They just won't work.

You measure your travel in miles, and I go for the vistas and the gardens on the way. .

You can see all that stuff from 37,000 feet?

NetDoc:
We both have similar ideas about what a good diver should look like

Beauty is only skin deep. While the look is nice, I'm much more concerned with developing the confidence of the diver than making them look pretty in the water. Fortunately, it's possible to do both.

NetDoc:
you have even complemented me on the skills of one of my students.

Your divers do have excellent skills.

NetDoc:
Just make allowances that others operate differently than you.

I've often said while I may disagree with someone's training methods, I'll defend their right to teach in any method they like. I may object to their marketing if I believe it to be dishonest, but not to their training methods. Is that not going far enough?

I'm not a diesel and I don't plod. I merely take the scenic route.

Pete, did you even for a minute think about taking a "few" teeth out and then telling him by phone a day or so later? A mean person would have. Or even worse just said they did!

Pete, did you even for a minute think about taking a "few" teeth out and then telling him by phone a day or so later? A mean person would have. Or even worse just said they did!
Jim, I was absolutely flummoxed at the novelty of it. Remember, it was the first time we had ever met and dove. Our second dive was at Venice Beach off of Alhambra, where Walter demonstrated the use of the buddy line when only one buddy is holding on to it! Bwahahahahaha!

Beauty is only skin deep.
And ugly goes clear to the bone! It's not that I want them to just dive: I want them to make it look easy! It doesn't take a long course to get them comfortable and showing their confidence in the water. You've seen the fruit of my labors.

I'm not a diesel and I don't plod. I merely take the scenic route.

And when it comes down to it Walter, I'm sure that there are many who would be happy to have an instructor like you teach their children. There are too many instructors in the industry that are full of themselves; you're not one of them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom