The PADI PSD program / Request for action

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There goes the neighborhood. Of course the diver never takes up slack, of course the tender does, the Professionals of amateur hour strike again.

We have seen guys who called themselves PSD's tend a rope and when they got to the end just let it go. So I guess a Diver to Tender Take Up Slack would be in order but who would be around to feel it.

Gary D.

padi is on the fence with this program and like the fence ( stand for nothing fall for anything)
fall off you can get hurt
stradle the fence and fall you will get hurt

I just recently found out about the PADI PSD program. I am currently an ERDI, SDI and PADI Instructor. In a constant attempt to be able to offer a wide variety of programs, I asked what I had to do to crossover to be a PADI PSD Instructor and found out that I was missing out on somethings, regardless of my skills as an ERDI instructor. I then asked them to view the curriculum so I could compare it to mine and others. I will agree, I think this is a pathetic attempt to capture a PSD audience with a lack of standard communication. Ironically they require NIMS training which preaches the use of standards and set communication terms.

I just recently found out about the PADI PSD program. I am currently an ERDI, SDI and PADI Instructor. In a constant attempt to be able to offer a wide variety of programs, I asked what I had to do to crossover to be a PADI PSD Instructor and found out that I was missing out on somethings, regardless of my skills as an ERDI instructor. I then asked them to view the curriculum so I could compare it to mine and others. I will agree, I think this is a pathetic attempt to capture a PSD audience with a lack of standard communication. Ironically they require NIMS training which preaches the use of standards and set communication terms.

Hi Stimpy

I guess I'd have to ask this to you as well. If you've already got a legitament PSD program in the ERDI mold why would you look to crossover to a PADI PSD?
Besides getting more numbers and letters after your name what can they really do for you and your students?
Just curious..

I think it is a question of marketability and first impressions. I have a hard time convincing newer and established dive teams that PADI recreational rescue diver doesn't make you a PSD expert, but they just know that PADI is a leader and that is ingrained in their heads.

Now since I am a multiagency instructor and teach for PADI and SDI,TDI, ERDI I would like to be able to have the background in all so that I know what is out there and can add more value to the classes as well as capture audiences that are more prone to PADI over another name. It provides credibility to a stranger.

As a side note I also asked blades about a crossover to his program as well. That is a lengthy process, but at least his process carries more credence than PADI. His process asks for you to prove yourself as an Instructor in PSD. I think that is a valuable part, even though personally a pain in the butt.

I can try to clarify more if you like, or you can PM me.

As a side note I also asked Blades about a crossover to his program as well. That is a lengthy process, but at least his process carries more credence than PADI. His process asks for you to prove yourself as an Instructor in PSD. I think that is a valuable part, even though personally a pain in the butt.

Philip disclosed to me that he was able to become a PSD instructor by proving himself as a legitimate recreational instructor, submitting a PSD outline, turning in some documentation and paying some funds to the training agency. And BAM!... another PSD instructor is ready to market to the government agencies with deep pockets, unlimited tax dollars, etc. I say that in jest since everyone on this forum understands the "real world."

I explained to Philip that Dive Rescue International requires that an instructor crossing over to our system must prove himself over a five day (minimum) evaluation that includes "getting in the water." That is what helps us assure that an instructor carrying a Dive Rescue International certification can "walk the walk and talk the talk." It is too difficult for us to do an evaluation over the internet and our company isn't going to risk our reputation or the lives of fellow public safety divers trying to do so. I suspect our training partners may develop an online PSD program where students don't have to get in the water either but I am certain that Dive Rescue International will not buy into that style of training either.

Anyhow, it is good to hear how others do things in the industry and I thank Philip for his e-mails and telephone call. As members of a civilized society there are many things that we agree on and some things that we can professionally disagree on. In the long run though, we are going to continue working hard to make certain that fellow public safety divers get the best training possible.

Regards,

Blades Robinson

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom