The PADI PSD program / Request for action

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are the minimums to become an instructor for a PSD organization?

For us.., three years, 100 hrs bottom time, 100 PSD dives, trained PSD supervisor, signed off by the team leader as a suitable candidate. Then you can take the course.

Experience is key but a new instructor is new. I don't know what the minimum requirements for most other PSD instructors are. I had one, offer to put me through their agency's course, but the budget is the issue. I compared the courses and they are extremely close. At some point we have to get experience. I was told by a team member, "We can't expect the team to require monthly training." Really? We as Deputies have to meet training requirements. My team will as well.

Ok, So if PSD team, are being terminated due to budget, who do we call. I can teach and am certified to teach. Should we have call another agency that is a minimum hour and half drive plus call out time and suit up time when a rescue needs to happen? Not every person on the team is just going to be able to jump into the water. But if our team can't bring in another instructor who is PSD organization certified, our citizens have to wait in freezing water at least two hours. I have all my gear in my truck and am ready if I am needed.

Proper training is the bottom line, coupled with team members who can make the decision to go or no-go. If a cop who carries a gun can't make to decision based on training, formal, in-formal and continuing, then what difference does the agency on the card make?

Just because I didn't enter into diving as a PSD, doesn't mean I am less of a diver after taking the PADI PSD course. Dives logged are dives logged. I have several hundred, not including teaching in cold pacific northwest water where the temps rarely reach above the 60's and are usually in the 40's with 0-10ft as typical vis.

I think we are agreeing on many of the same points Padi, training is the key. Big time.

I was just offering some friendly advice. I can tell you that I have had the fortunate ability to travel around, meet, observe, and work with many many PSD teams in North America. I am all for anyone wanting to improve themselves and improve their teams training. I'm just saying that in my view, we (PSD's ) tend to be a fickle lot and are more comfortable with 'meat and potato' divers than guys with lots of flashy cards. Given the work we do, ratings are not as important as experience. Most PSDs would strongly disagree that dives logged are dives logged because while experience in the recreational world usually helps a newbie, it certainly doesn't count for anything. I was just hoping to avoid you getting in a pissin' match over qualifications.

Anyway, to answer your second post, yeah we have our own Instructors who have all received a Public Safety Diver Instructor rating from an outside agency before they can teach in our program

I am an PADI MSTD and have no interest in getting a new instructor rating if the PADI PSD is just as good.

I think this might be the problem right here - there are many that don't think the PADI program is "just as good". The differences may go well beyond line pulls.
Just something to think about.

Let's face it, PSD is one of the more dangerous forms of diving. I personally rank it right up there with cave diving so having the BEST program was important to us to keep our guys safe.
Our approach for training was such:
- 1st, find the best program. We spent over a year checking out the different agencies to find what we believe to be the best.
- get our guys dialled into that program and make sure it works
- last, develop an instructor that can teach THAT program

It takes years and a ton of $ but anything less IMO would make our program inferior.
Again, our priority is to keep our guys safe. If we can't do the best for them then we'll fold the team up. We aren't doing the victim's any favours if our own guys are at risk

For the agency I'm working with, to instruct PSD:
- need to be a full member of a PSD team and registered as a "Level 2 PSD"
- need DM or AI minimum in order to take ITC (10days) - maybe 8 days if your already an instructor. This enables you to teach OW, drysuit, FFM and tenders - basically you can run a prep course for the PSD course
- in order to teach the actual PSD course the candidate must mentor/team teach with a senior instructor. The amount varies with the individual but usually no more than 10 courses. Basically you have to prove that you know your stuff and can teach it.
Obviously, this takes a few years.

Side point - I think you'd find that most PSDs were sport divers first (I was too) but being a hotshot sport diver doesn't really help you in the PSD realm but I'm sure you'll find this out after a while. I used to think like you.:wink:

Anyway, keep learning and growing and don't give up!

I think this might be the problem right here - there are many that don't think the PADI program is "just as good". The differences may go well beyond line pulls.

"bridgediver" and I agree again!!!

I too started as a PADI diver in the 70s and became a PADI instructor in the 80s. Having a program that is "just as good" does no good if the instructors aren't also "just as good" as the others in the PSD field. I hope that "Padi Scuba Instructor" is not offended as my comments are not directed at him.

For PADI to have credibility in the public safety diving community, their instructors must have "real world" experience doing the job of a public safety diver. Many of the PADI instructors come from a recreational background with a focus on generating revenue. To be a PADI instructor, candidates must "attend and participate in" ... "The PADI Continuing Education Philosophy, Business Principles for the Dive Instructor, Diver Retention Programs" ... and 11 other "curriculum presentations." Many believe there is more focus on the dollar and less focus on safety.

The fact that PADI will not change their line signal system to conform with the standard agreed upon by Dive Rescue International, ERDI, IANTD, NAPD and PSDA is a sign.

PADI does not recognize the benefit of having a unified line signal system throughout the PSD community or see the potential safety benefits. After all, there is a cost associated with PADI making this change...

For many in the PSD community, this is just one example where there is an appearance that PADI has placed "money" before "safety."

Last edited:
I spoke with another PSD instructor privately and since he asked I keep the convo private, I will. I think there are plenty of "sides" to have. Great thread and an eye opener most definitely.

I don't mean to knock PADI, I know they are the largest agency (my OW is with PADI) but anyone that teaches scuba diving over the Internet should not be teaching PSD. It should be about quality not quantity.

Oh my, Gateway and Dell computers are coming out with an add on to your computer so you can practice line signals. How awesome!!!:D

Oh my, Gateway and Dell computers are coming out with an add on to your computer so you can practice line signals. How awesome!!!:D

Don’t forget the virtual bends. A little hammer comes out of the computer and nails you a good one. Then a couple of munchkins run out, wrap you in a tinfoil tube then cuff your ears so they pop making you think your on a chamber ride.:rofl3:

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom