The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zippsy:
If any non-DIR divers still want to answer the question "why haven't YOU taken up DIR?" you are free to do so - practically flame-free if you are the same. :D
Well I'll start out by echoing one of John's sentiments. At first I was very anti-DIR because of the the very vocal minorty of, well there is no better term than a-holes who spout off about it on the internet. While this is a minority it's one that goes pretty deep into GUE/WKPP if you know what I mean.

I've done a ton of research on DIR, including watching the video, reading the book and reading everything on the GUE website. I've also read a ton of stuff in newsgroups and I subscribe to dirquest. I have not, however taken DIR-F. This is simply logistics, evidently even though Missouri boats one of the best karst systems in the US, we do not rate having any DIR-F classes in the area.

Now, why am I not DIR? I'll start with eqipment since it is often the most discussed:

My equipment configuration is probably 90% DIR. I use spring straps, bp/wing, 7' primary with bungied secondary, etc, etc, etc. There are two main areas where I differ: knife and guages.

For a knife I carry a DiveRite Z-Knife. It's small and all I need. If I ever have a need for a "real" knife as a tool, I have one but it has a plastic sheath so it's not DIR either.

On guages I use a computer. Worse yet, I use a hoseless AI comptuer. Otherwise my guages are in DIR locations, including the backup SPG clipped to left D-ring. The fact is, I dive for pleasure. I don't want to have to constantly calculate my exposures, I want to look at a computer and see how much dive time I have left.

Now on to the real DIR aspects. I fully believe in many of aspects of DIR, especially the ones about physical fitness, so I'll focus on the ones I don't like.

1. I don't see any problem with diving solo in the right conditions. Big DIR no-no.
2. I want to be able to dive with anyone I like, not just DIR divers. See number 1. I won't dive with someone who is an active danger to me, but a passive danger doesn't bother me, I would just consider it a solo dive.
3. I am the person who decides what is the best for me and my diving. I make choices based on what works for best for me. DIR does not allow this, you are either DIR or you are not. I will never bet 100% DIR. It is not up to JJ/GI/etc to decide how I should dive, it is up to me.

So that, in a nutshell, is why I haven't taken up DIR. None of this is meant to bash DIR in any way, it's a great system for those who want to use it. However it is no more "right" than many other systems.

James

ok, james, i'm a little confused still...

WHO is the person who decides what is best for you and your diving?

:wink:

H2Andy:
ok, james, i'm a little confused still...

WHO is the person who decides what is best for you and your diving?

Sorry I wasn't clear Andy. I'll try again:

I AM!!!!!

That Halcyon has applied for the Trademark on DIR.
So only they cna lable or market their gear as being DIR, and if they want to keep the trademark they must prevent others from using it.

It wasn't GUE that went after the trademark, why is that?

James Goddard:
Sorry I wasn't clear Andy. I'll try again:

I AM!!!!!

ah ok... thanks for clearing that up

Many areas of the country don't have a GUE instructor near them, but they seem to be able to bring instructors to the area. Sounds like no one has made a serious attempt to bring an instructor to Missouri.

James Goddard:
I have not, however taken DIR-F. This is simply logistics, evidently even though Missouri boats one of the best karst systems in the US, we do not rate having any DIR-F classes in the area.

James

padiscubapro:
If you are a righty and do things like lobster hunting, putting your computer/timer on you right hand would only mean either breaking your computer, not being able to get your hand in the hole or worse getting it stuck...

I said it was beneficial *for me* in an openwater environment. I don't do lobster hunting.

I never claimed it was the right gear choice in absolutely every single environment and that anyone who wasn't diving that way was going to die. I actually read the previous post on lobster hunting and made a mental note that it was a good example of an exception where DIR gear config isn't optimal.

If you find DIR zealots who tell you that your jacket BC is going to kill you annoying, you understand exactly how annoyed this thread makes me when words I've written are taken out of context and used to portray me as a DIR zealot. If you're going to argue that way, I'll skip bothering to respond...

pipedope:
That Halcyon has applied for the Trademark on DIR.
So only they cna lable or market their gear as being DIR, and if they want to keep the trademark they must prevent others from using it.

Personally.... Cool. Then those that wish to consider themselves DIR need to come up with a new name, and we won't have to hear the daily complaints about the offensiveness of the DIR name.

James Goddard:
I am the person who decides what is the best for me and my diving. I make choices based on what works for best for me. DIR does not allow this, you are either DIR or you are not. I will never bet 100% DIR. It is not up to JJ/GI/etc to decide how I should dive, it is up to me.

Ah, yes, but James - here is the fallacy of your argument? What if you're a rototiller who was certified over a weekend? Are you the best one to decide? I would say no.

What if you believe that going to 164 feet on air is safe? Are you the best one to decide? I would say no.

What if you believe in hooking your lift line under a piece of the wreck, or hanging unto a piece of the wreck with your knees while you're shooting a bag? Are you the best one to decide? I would say no.

There are a lot of people who mistake experience for skill. I'm not directing this at you James, I'm directing this to anyone in particular. Just because you're "God Techdiver" doesn't mean your skills are any good. We all know someone who thinks they're God's gift to diving, but doesn't belong in the deep end of a bathtub. Are they the best ones to decide what works? They'll argue yes. They'll STRONGLY argue yes. That doesn't make them right.

In fact, I believe the opposite is true. The stronger you argue about how "my trim is just fine, thank you very much" the more likely you are to have just chopped the head off a piece of coral or smacked into a piece of the wreck.

I don't believe I'm the best one to make choices regarding my gear configuration and diving style. I believe that honor goes to people who are a heck of a lot smarter and more experienced than I am. Ultimately, I am the one who HAS to decide, because I'm not a lemming. But you can be darn sure I'm going to give a real long hard, open minded listen to those who can PROVE they're better than I am. And I will honestly say that so far, every GUE instructor or diver I've met has better skills and attitude than I do. I cannot say that about PADI, TDI or a host of other agencies.

My two cents anyway.

Boogie - I wholeheartedly agree there are certain things everyone should avoid (hanging on wrecks, tilling up silt, etc). And I'll grant you that DIR probably pounds this into their followers more than most.

That said, even a rototilling newbie can decide (safely, and without worry) whether to wear their guages on their left or right wrist. They can also decide jacket vs bp/w, etc.

However, no matter how skilled a DIR diver your are, those decisions have already been made for you and you have no say in the matter...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom