the organics debate

what do you buy organic?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrothead725

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
anybody else out there every buy organic meats or produce? shop at farmers markets?

there are certain things that make sense to buy organic and other that are just a scam - what is your take on this whole thing?

I try and buy organic when it's available and not 3x the price, I don't think any of it is a scam with regards to the impact on the soil and critters within and without but.. I do think the difference in taste and nutrients touted between the two is exaggerated somewhat (on both sides).

I have seen results in favour of both camps (no doubt it's the usual situation of looking at who has funded you before handing back the results, though that may be overly cynical...).

I think that it's harsh to lay all blame for massive amounts of fertiliser and pesticide residue and run off squarely at the feet of farmers (or the corporation that owns them) as it is our own desire for zero effort groceries that has resulted in the massive scale of production (and subsequent chemical reliance) required.

The best route as far as I can see is growing your own veges as much as you are able.

I agree that the prices are very expensive. This time of year I hit up all my gardener friends and visit the local farms. Far Far better.

Men's Health lists the produce with the highest pesticide load:

Should You Splurge On Organic Fruit? - Men's Health

this is awesome - thanks for sharing. i just printed out a copy for super market reference :D.

i came across something like this on treehugger.blogspot a while ago, but have never been able to find it since. it was a wallet-sized reference card to keep with you for grocery runs.

one thing i have read from countless sources is the milk debate. organic milk is just a straight up scam *(not to be confused with non-dairy). check Milk is Milk - The Simple Truth for more reference.

I buy mostly organic- Most of it is locally grown, I find it stays fresher longer. As well as consuming less chemicals.

My sister and I share a organic produce box that we get every week. It's about $17 for each of us per week. It's more produce than I know what to do with, I mostly make vegetable soup, lots and lots of soup.
As a side note, here in the US we have banned the use of DDT. However, we still make it and ship it to other places, then buy the produce back from them. Crazy

We grow a lot of our own food, and much of what we don't we trade other farms and a rancher in the area for our produce. We do not buy any prepared foods, organic or otherwise.

I live on an island with one grocery chain (although it has two stores). There is very little truly organic available. We do have a "Farmer's market" with organic produce, etc., brought over from the mainland, but I haven't seen it lately (due to summer tourist season perhaps)..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom