The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OH.... MY... GOODNESS! Let's just quickly recap the last couple of days;

Switzerland denies Spain (1-0)
Nigeria throws their match against Greece (1-2)
Mexico wallops France (2-0)
Serbia beats Germany (1-0)
Slovenia nearly beats the USA but holds them to a draw (2-2)
England fail to score a single goal against Algeria (0-0)
Not to mention Uruguay defeating the powerhouse South Africa (3-0)

OK, the last one was added for dramatic effect:D but aren't these all a little backwards?

The last couple of days has been quite interesting but I have to say that I'm getting sick and tired of two things; Referees making outrageous decisions and overly defensive, almost Catenaccio style, football.

I know that referees can't make perfect decisions all the time but there has been too many shocking penalties and bookings so far. These are the best players in the world being pitted against each other and they're expected to play the best football, is it too much to ask that the best referees in the world officiate over these games? Some of the officiating we've seen so far has been downright pathetic.

Albert Undiano who blowed the Germany - Serbia game was absolutely shocking. He dished out yellow cards left right and centre but missed some blatant infringements in the penalty box. Itumeleng Khune (South Africa's goalkeeper) was red carded completely unwarranted - as was Harry Kewel (Australia). Then I have yet to hear even one possible reason why the goal by Maurice Edu (USA) was disallowed. Every replay from every angle shows that just about every other American player in the penalty box is held on to or pulled back by a Slovenian but there is NO evidence of an American player fouling a Slovenian - yet the goal is disallowed and a free kick awarded to Slovenia.

I'm not especially pro USA or anti Slovenia but I hate bad officiating and that was a shocking decision that changed the outcome of the game and the group standing.

Getting off my soap box now...

Some thoughts on recent games:

France - Mexico:
Another woeful performance by the French. Playing like that it really is no surprise that Mexico beat them. A draw would have been better for South Africa but I am happy for Mexico and they did play a very good game.

Germany - Serbia:
This was a very unenjoyable game to watch, not because of the way the teams played but because of the way the referee blowed the game. Germany's attack was a bit disappointing though, especially when you compare it to their incredible attacking game against Australia. They passed very few balls into advanced areas for forwards to chase and they just could not really penetrate the Serbian defense. There were a few individual moments of brilliance but nothing that paid off and nothing remotely like their systematic and accurate game against Australia.

Slovenia - USA:
Very exhilarating game. First half belonged to the Slovenians, second half belonged to the Yanks. Landon Donovan's goal has got to be one of the best so far. He approached from a difficult angle, had a defender and a goalie to defeat, looked for support inside the box and, when there were none, decided to have a go at it. He then unleashed a missile straight into the roof of the net and the goalie had no chance.

England - Algeria:
Oh for goodness sakes! I am now convinced that England stand no chance whatsoever of winning the World Cup - and I even fancied them as good candidates going in to the World Cup. I can pass a kidney stone easier than they can pass a ball and they seem to have no opportunity creating ideas.

Netherlands - Japan:
Japan's type of negative and defensive play is the kind that I absolutely cannot stand. I realise that they probably considered themselves outsiders and would have to focus more on defense but I also feel that if you're competing in the World Cup you should play like you plan on winning it - otherwise don't take part and give another team the opportunity.

When Holland eventually cracked their defense they were in disarray as they simply did not know how to attack effectively against the Dutch - in part because they've worked on nothing but defense for the whole game.

Ghana - Australia:
Unfortunately I could only watch the second half of this game (and the highlights). Australia certainly looked much better than against Germany. Kewell's sending off, like I said earlier, was completely ridiculous but Ghana should have capitalised on the numerical advantage and they never did. Good defending from the socceroos there.

The last couple of days has been quite interesting but I have to say that I'm getting sick and tired of two things; Referees making outrageous decisions and overly defensive, almost Catenaccio style, football.

I know that referees can't make perfect decisions all the time but there has been too many shocking penalties and bookings so far.

I actually think the reverse. Refereeing at the World Cup is usually awful (largely because you get a lot of referees drawn from tiny countries who are not used to the pace of the game), but so far the quality has been good by and large. Yes, the ref in Germany v Serbia was cack handed (ironically he is from Spain) and that was a harsh sending off in Nigeria v Greece, but compared to past World Cups overall it has been a breath of fresh air.

Wow. This must be the world cup with the most upsets ever. Italy 1 : Kiwis 1
AND South Africa might still be in with a chance, the French team went on strike!

So SA will be facing either the most psyched up or the most unmotivated French team in ages.

Never thought of it that way but it makes perfect sense.

I might have to take it back after the Kaka sending off (by a French ref)...

Luis Fabiano is a wanker. "The most beautiful goal of my life". Hand!!! Twice!!!

Two of the Ivory Coast players should be in jail after those nasty fouls.

It´s always funny to see how somebody touches another player on the arm and then they start rolling on the ground holding their face in agony.

US vs. England was not a good match but at least no drama. If Italy plays Argentina half of the match time will be players rolling on the ground.

I might have to take it back after the Kaka sending off (by a French ref)...
Yes, what an error ! Kader Kaita is a good actor, the referee had a doubt an asked to the lateral ref who confirmed kaka's fault : a shame.
Few minutes before he didn't see the 2 hands of Luis Fabiano.
This referee won't go to the final.
I also saw the american, they have clearly been ripped off : 4 slovenian faults in the 6 m = 4 potential penaltys then he blows the whistle for...Slovenia ! :shakehead:

The good thing for me is the Brazilian team who plays a now a very very pleasant football.
South American teams are there, this is their cup.

AND South Africa might still be in with a chance, the French team went on strike!

:shakehead:
I really can't support the french "team" anymore, I hope and most of the french people think like me, I hope they will come back in France wednesday. I hope they will stop this ridiculous circus. I hope they will stop this shame.

We all expect that Laurent Blanc will fire most of them, Anelka of course,Gallas, Henry , Ribery, Evra, Abidal all these guys playing for major teams in europe, earning millions of €. They have no right to do this, this is the world cup, this is not the Mc Donald cup ! You play it 1 or 2 time in your life if you are very lucky !
What the hell is happening in their brain ? HAVE THEY EVEN GOT A BRAIN ?:confused:
:depressed:
I will continue to look at the world cup, it's a very nice one, goals are coming, the stadiums are fantastics, the ambiance is good, the colorfull south African public is hilarious, some teams are very refreshing : Mexico, USA, Paraguay, Brazil now, Argentina, Spain (I hope), Germany, South Africa, New Zeland...
GO Bafanah Bafanah GO ! :)

Weird to think we might get to the round of 16 without England, France and Italy...

Not likely, but definitely possible.

Weird to think we might get to the round of 16 without England, France and Italy...

Not likely, but definitely possible.

I don't hope so.
I'd rather see our gang of selfish dorks coming back ALONE in Europe.
If Italy and England are out the media will talk a lot about it and then forgot our 23 idiots.
No : I want them to face their shame that is now our shame.

Back
Top Bottom