The night dive from hell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

correct me if I am wrong, but Padi OW certification is 4 dives correct? or is that the minimum and instructors can drag it out longer if they wish. I guess I can commend you for staying composed but do you remember the rules of diving that you read in the book. KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS. You should have known that a night dive in an unfamiliar area with unfamiliar gear was not a good idea for an uncertified diver. A Divemaster does not have the qualifications to take two uncertified divers out on their own.

Well... this is what happens when you travel to big dive destinations. Many operations get lax about their safety practices, because -in their experience- there isn't a reason not to. I bet this wasn't the first time, nor will it be the last.

One of my friends who just got back from Australia said he went scuba diving. I asked him if he did a discover scuba, or certification course, and he said "I got to do three different dives that day at different dive sites. The aussies are pretty loose when it comes to saftey and rules, they pretty much give you gear and toss you in the water."

Sadly, things usually don't change until they have an accident.

-B.

My wife did her check out dives in a quarry with vis at 0-3 feet back in 1994, yes...I said 0-3 feet!!! Can't see the difference between night diving and this...the water temp was at 55 with 3 foot vis...gee I love that woman! She completed everything perfectly even the out and back compass navigation 1st try. This was the worst dive I have ever dived and she thought it was great!

Limited vis and night diving makes you a better all around newbee.

Good job with the task loading!!!

"Giggi if you hadn't posted this 2 years ago I would think you were making the whole thing up. "

Uncle Pug, you have WAY too much time on your hands. WHO IN THE WORLD (besides you ) would locate a post about something made 2 YEARS ago?
I'm starting to worry about you!!!

:cheers: Even though your buddy initially knocked things around a bit, he/she saved the day! I don't know how much diving you have done since then, but you can handle anything now! :1poke:

In my DM's defense, he's been a friend of the family for several years and knew that both my husband and I are about the most laid back people he could possibly meet, aside from himself. Also, there were 4 DMs along (including him) and about a dozen divers, and we did stay close enough with our group that we could see them all.

No, we weren't "officially" certified, and hubby often complained about having to "stay with the group" like a Kindergartner (of course I reminded him that in the world of underwater, we were still preschoolers). We still had to do compass navigation, and yes, we are certified now, though we're still waiting on our PADI cards.

We got our books out this weekend and doing lots of review. As for the equipment, I think it's like riding a bicycle. We rent from our LDS (and the same person who plans and is DM on these trips) so we know the equipment is reliable, tested, and in good shape.

Uncle Pug, I don't know ya, but I think I likes ya! :wink:

solo_diver:
I find this very hard to believe. Why would a certification agency require a night dive anyway? Padi doesn't even require a night dive for the so-called advanced card.
PADI used to require either a night or limited vis dive for AOW - there were no dive electives. (I think that was a good thing to make sure people were exposed to, it's good experience and even diving in normally clear waters you could find youself in an unexpected limited vis situation.)

None of the dives were required. They were all voluntary. I was just relating how one dive ended up being a "larger than life" story that hubby and I still laugh about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom