The next generation in DPV technology - Logic Dive Gear Genesis 600/1240

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darn...I wish I had read this thread a little earlier....am in Monterey right now!!! No dive gear of course, and the water is too snotty for diving! Winds are howling.

Cheers,

X

Looks good Price is up to the Cuda Fury waiting to see results from Tahoe to see if it compares in Specs also.

Tahoe results are out and the Logic scoots held up very well. In fact the Cuda Fury and the Logic 1240 seem to be at the top of the class. Congrats Jon on really coming through. If I didn't already have a Cuda I'd be looking very hard at one of yours.

Ken

Tahoe results are out and the Logic scoots held up very well. In fact the Cuda Fury and the Logic 1240 seem to be at the top of the class. Congrats Jon on really coming through. If I didn't already have a Cuda I'd be looking very hard at one of yours.

Ken

Thanks Ken.

Yeah, the max thrust and speed numbers are what most people fixate on, but the power at cruise showing the highest efficiency is what gives me the most satisfaction. It can be run as slow as ~60 ft/min and it only draws around 75 watts, not to mention, it is almost completely silent at the lower speeds. I can't remember the last time I used my fins for anything but directional control.

I've been getting a lot of inquiries in the last 24 hours and I have James and the entire TBM volunteer staff to thank for that.

For anyone who is using the paper to shop for a scooter or even if you just appreciate the pearls of wisdom gleaned from it, please consider a modest donation, as they are still well in the red on out of pocket expenses for the project and the likelihood of future testing really depends on how big of a soaking they take this year.

Happy holidays,
Jon

John,

I read through the thread and read the tahoe benchmark for 2011. Thanks for really pushing the envelope and bringing your engineering knowledge to something I really enjoy. I'm looking to jump into a higher end scooter and was wondering how long that $1000 credit applies.

John,

I read through the thread and read the tahoe benchmark for 2011. Thanks for really pushing the envelope and bringing your engineering knowledge to something I really enjoy. I'm looking to jump into a higher end scooter and was wondering how long that $1000 credit applies.

The $1000 discount applies to the first production run, until it is sold out, of which there are 2 or 3 not spoken for right now. Shipping to Hawaii can be slow as they can only go by boat due to the batteries. Or, the Genesis 600 batteries can be hand carried on an airplane, if you are headed to the mainland anytime soon.

Cheers,
Jon

Attachments

• Both copy.jpg
    Both copy.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 248
  • 1200 frt qtr.jpg
    1200 frt qtr.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 236
In my admittedly limited experience, most plastics seem to be subject to material fatigue over time. For instance, the Tekna scooters from the 80's seem to have a noticeable rate of stress fractures at critical locations in the hull like the bulkheads. I suppose it might be too early in the lifespan of the Gavins and SS scooters to see if similar conditions occur.

Its interesting that the Genesis uses an aluminum hull made of the same 6061 alloy that was used in the Farallon scooters from the 70's on. So far, I haven't heard of any material fatigue issues with the hull of the Farallons.

The tech developments of the Genesis over the current crop of scooters certainly are impressive. I suppose each potential buyer needs to evaluate his needs and desires against the extra cost of this state-of-the-art scooter.

Jon, was great to meet you at the LB scuba show and get a chance to see these scooters in person. They are EXTREMELY nice and have a great feature set. Just wish they weren't so far out of our price range. :)

Jon, not sure if you're still following this thread... By any chance do you have a downloaded-able manual for the 1200? I'm having a hard time understanding how the strips hold the body together in particular. And second question, is there a way to use an energy meter like a Watt's up to track battery recharging?

Jon, not sure if you're still following this thread... By any chance do you have a downloaded-able manual for the 1200? I'm having a hard time understanding how the strips hold the body together in particular. And second question, is there a way to use an energy meter like a Watt's up to track battery recharging?

The lock strip goes through the slot and is threaded around to fill the void created by two equal grooves that are half as deep as they are wide. The lock strip prevents the pieces from separating, as it would take a lot of force to shear the strip in half along its axis (about 20,000 lbs). Think of a square keyway between a shaft and a sprocket. Now turn it 90 degrees and make the key flexible.

lock strip groove.jpg

The two grooves on the left are for o-rings and the lock groove is shown with half the slot to the outside. The manual does not show the detail, but if you email me, I'll send you a copy.

Two Watts Up meters can be added to the charger cable (one for each battery) to track the charge and also check the battery voltage without having to open the scooter. A few folks have done this mod.

Cheers,
Jon

Back
Top Bottom