The New Omega Flip???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve

Wow.....what a DB
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering a pair of the Omega flip style fin. Should I be? Is there a reason why I should not be? I am asking all out there for their experiences with this fin.

The reason i am interested in this fin (in principle)? I look at these fins and remember walking into the water in Bonaire carrying fins, watertight case and camera equipment and then I remember holding onto the case and the camera (it is clipped to my BC but I do not want my strobe/TTL connection to get banged or anything) while I put my fins on in even a mild surf....these fins really caught my attention. I could easily see myself with a second set of fins (used primarily for travel). I love my quattro fins for all dives but when I carry my camera gear and other stuff, it would be great to already have my fins on when I want into the water.

Does anybody have any amout of time logged with the Omega flip fin? I am curious if the locking mechanism slips at all or wears. Does it work well for all kick styles and strengths? Is it just like walking in a ski boot when flipped up or is it awkward and uncomfortable? If all in all it comes highly recommended then I will talk to the distributor in my area (I believe he works out of a van - just kidding but my area does not have a store that caries them) to see if they have something I can see and/or try out.

Feedback is appreciated.

Ber Rabbit made some excellent post about these, hold please and I will find them for you.

Thanks Jennifer. Watch out for the alligators while I am getting our next :beer: drink. I actually posted in one of those threads and my question went unanswered (it got lost in amongst everything else so it is understandable) so I figured a new thread was the way to go. From what she said I believe she likes them for certain dives but is unable to "kick" them from boot to fin. I am hoping that others here are or have dove them and can offer their input.

I can't kick lock them yet due to coordination issues, my toes like to point toward my other ankle when I kick forward. A 90 degree turn of your ankle during the kick won't leave you with enough power to lock the fins, trust me on that one :wink: They are easy to step on and lock when standing on a firm surface.

Teamcasa has been diving the fins for a while, he would be a good one to ask for advice.

I did quite a bit of hiking in mine, I probably walked 1/4 mile in them on gravel wearing doubles one dive and they hiked just fine. Walking in them is similar to ski boots but actually easier. You want to make sure your feet are far enough apart when you walk that you aren't whacking the flipped up fins together with every step but that's easy enough to do. When climbing stairs be aware the toe clip sticks out far enough to catch the edge of the step as you climb but it's not a big deal to pay enough attention to your stepping style to avoid landing on your face.

Personally I haven't had them come undone in the water, I've seen comments on here somewhere from people who've had them come unclipped while kicking in current.

Going to be in Ohio? You're welcome to try mine.
Ber :lilbunny:

We could send you a pair, not charge you, try them, if you dont like them send them back...all your out is shipping......IF you dont like them

Most likely, you will like them, in which case you keep them and we run your card :wink:

Easy to try before you buy :D

I have used them quite a bit and sold even more...a couple have come back only due to smaller feet than the boot is designed for, most everyone else likes them...some love them. Im not sure where Ber falls into those, but I love her posts:popcorn: and Im still waiting for my dinner:eyebrow:

I have written several reviews about the flips, but I am far to lazy to go look for them....maybe that is why I like the flips so much. :D

They work for me exactally as advertised. No problem at all kicking them into place. No problem folding them up. I have never had them fold up when I didn't want them to. They even swim well, and I can do most all kick with them, including back kick.

I use different fins for different dives. For a single tank, warm water dive, these things rock. Well they do for me since I have some issues that make it very tough to don/doff fins. If you have any injuries that make getting your fins on or off...these just may be the ticket. I have never had any problems with these fins, but I will add that in my humble optinion, these fins are great for someone who NEEDS them (read above about injuries), but if you don't have a real need, there are better (simpler) fins out there.

I agree with Robert. These fins work as advertised. I have 40+ dives on them including shore, beach and boat dives. I took them with me to Hawaii where they got some strange looks and funny comments but after seeing them in action, the questions changes to, “Where did you buy them?” and “How much were they?”

In addition, (Thanks Mike at Dive Right in Scuba) I have a set of spring straps that just add to the joy of using them. Plus, they have lifetime warranty so I’m not worried.

Pictures after 30 some dives:

finclip1.jpg

More Pictures:
http://www.dorkdiver.com/images/finclip2.jpg
http://www.dorkdiver.com/images/finclip3.jpg
http://www.dorkdiver.com/images/finclip4.jpg
http://www.dorkdiver.com/images/finclip5.jpg

For More Info Search ScubaBoard this way: " Omega flip fin site:scubaboard.com "

Back
Top Bottom