The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Medium ultimately fits divers from 5’6” to 6’1”. But there could be exceptions to this based on torso length and personal preference regarding waist belt placement/ weightbelt or weight pockets on the waist strap, etc.
Medium is 15” tall and is the standard plate size in the FP line. Smalls and larges are 1” shorter/longer each way so they are more for the smaller percentage of divers at each end of the spectrum.
I’ll sell 5 mediums to every one small or large.

Other than length is there any difference in the plate sizes?
Each size is wider or narrower proportionate to it’s height. Also the small has 9.5” center holes because there wasn’t room for 11” holes. All the wings I recommend have a series of holes on 1.5” centers at each end so lining 9.5” center holes up is no problem.

Well, I ordered yesterday, with Economy shipping, and my order came today. And the above strap is the winner. I am now ecstatic at how this rig has turned out.

View attachment 428931 View attachment 428932

I was just asked about this in a PM, so I figured I would post a follow-up, since it has been a while.

The strap that I put on is this one:

McMaster-Carr

I ordered the 4' one. But, I cannot remember now if I cut it and burned the end or if I am using it still at its full length.

I took this rig to Cozumel in April and did some boat diving. Having this tank hang strap was very convenient. Swapping tanks on the boat was much easier (as I also have the ScubaPro-style Quick Release tank straps from Dive Gear Express).

Flip open the two QR buckles on the tank straps and open them up. Lift the BP/W rig off the one tank and drop it right onto the next. The hang strap keeps the rig at exactly the right height on the tank while I can use 2 hands to easily buckle up the 2 tank straps. Much easier than holding the BPW up with one hand while trying to tighten a cam band (or QR strap) with the other.

I think I'm going to try one more mod to this rig: I want to get some wing nuts and lock washers to replace the Nyloc nuts I put on the bolts that hold the rail assembly on. I think it might be nice to easily disassemble the whole rig without needing any tools. And, since the tank straps go through the BP itself, once the rig is fully assembled onto a tank, the bolts should not be holding any tension, so I don't think it's a safety concern to worry about the wing nuts being able to possibly come loose and fall off. That would just be a nuisance on the surface, while assembling/disassembling my scuba unit.

That said, I am not above drilling a hole in each wing nut and using some safety wire and aircraft-style safety pins to ensure that they cannot loosen on their own....

I have been coveting the Freedom plate for years now but have been reluctant to pull the trigger on one as I'm not sure how it will work for the diving I do. I dive dry in cold water almost exclusively. This time of year I'm diving with a 6lb plate, 5lb Hammerhead weighted STA and two three pound weights zip tied to the plate. All this and 16lbs on a weight belt. So this is 33lbs of ballast not including the HP100 and regs. In a few months when the water warms I'll swap the two 3lb weights for two 2 pounders and swap out the weighted STA for a light 1/2lb STA. So I was wondering if there are any divers that need a bunch of ballast out there using a Freedom plate and how they are distributing all the weight. I don't want to add more to the weight belt, 16lb is plenty enough.

Just finished an OW class out near Fort Ross (Timber Cove), using my FP, 33# wing from @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose, and #27 ballast. Drysuit for our usual 48F.
My recommendation? Add weight pockets to your BP/W belt, and add a second pair of tiny cam band pockets. The FP has slots for two cam bands.
You can skip your hard weight on your current plate and put 6-8# in each pair of cam pockets.

Of course, if you like to wear a weight belt so that you're semi-neutral if you have to climb out of your BP/W in a drysuit in the kelp, then you could skip the ditchable pockets.

Short answer? Convert your current hard weight to a second pair of cam band pockets. You'll be fine. Trims nicely, too!
Plate plus D-rings and buckles 5#
Upper Cam pockets 4# + 4#
Lower Cam pockets 4# + 4#
Weight pockets or weight belt 6# + 6#
Ankle weights 1.5# + 1.5#
That could get you to 36# ballast if needed.

See pg. 47 for details.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom