The new addition to my family!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poseidon once bubbled...
...I've already learned from the potty training that I can yell at him all I want and that he doesn't really care, he just sits there and looks at me.

And you can forget about spanking him, cause I wore my hand out before I got a flinch or a yelp. Once I spanked him on the nose, and that definitely got his attention.. but I don't think it's right to do that.
Thanks for the compliments!!

Sounds like you need to learn about dog behavior, obedience training, and human/canine dynamics very soon. Physical disipline may make you feel good but it does nothing towards training your dog. Rewarding the good behavior will get you alot farther.

get a shock collar, they work great. :D
Just learn how to use it properly. Or the spat on the nose, something to get the attention.

Dee once barked...

Sounds like you need to learn about dog behavior, obedience training, and human/canine dynamics very soon. Physical disipline may make you feel good but it does nothing towards training your dog. Rewarding the good behavior will get you alot farther.

What if they don't display good behavior to be rewarded?

Umm...a lot is two words. :)

sealskin98 once bubbled...
....What if they don't display good behavior to be rewarded?

Umm...a lot is two words. :)

Find the smallest acceptable thing they do and reward them for it. Build on it from there. But if a dog that young shows NO good behavior, you have a very maladjusted, poorly socialized animal that will give you nothing but trouble.

I trained and showed Doberman's for obedience trials and police work and I can promise you there's no reason to ever be physically abusive to a dog. They do not naturally physically dicipline their own beyond a nip and a growl so whipping a puppy or rubbing their nose in a puddle does nothing but make them mistrust you...just at a time you are trying to EARN their respect and trust. Your facial expression, tone of voice and a bag of treats is all you need to train any dog to do anything.

I don't have Dee's experience, but I have to tell you that I think you're headed for trouble. Hitting an animal to discipline it will not get the desired effect in the long run. You will either get a very aggressive animal (dangerous) or a very fearful animal (even more dangerous).

Find a good trainer in your area that knows about canine behavior and POSITIVE reinforcement. They can help you teach your pup how to be a well behaved member of the family. It's well worth the time and expense. And given the size that Cujo will become, it is an absolute necessity.

Just my $.02.

Mark

Dee once bubbled...

Find the smallest acceptable thing they do and reward them for it. Build on it from there. But if a dog that young shows NO good behavior, you have a very maladjusted, poorly socialized animal that will give you nothing but trouble.

I trained and showed Doberman's for obedience trials and police worth and I can promise you there's no reason to ever be physically abusive to a dog. They do not naturally physically dicipline their own beyond a nip and a growl so whipping a puppy or rubbing their nose in a puddle does nothing but make them mistrust you...just at a time you are trying to EARN their respect and trust. Your facial expression, tone of voice and a bag of treats is all you need to train any dog to do anything.

Dee is totally right, i workedfor a vet for over 2 years and helped train some young puppies .

one thing i learned especially with large breeds is to place with them using your feet, instead of your hand because that will encourage them to jump up on people

FWIW

Back
Top Bottom